2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

The Moment of Victory Against Minnesota's Anti-Gay Amendment: VIDEO

Victory

Here's the stress, and the exhaustion, and the anticipation, and the worry, and the euphoric joy of a victory wrapped up in a single video.

At 1:45 a.m., Campaign Manager Richard Carlbom of Minnesotans United for All Families announced to campaign staff and board members that the vote on the proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage in Minnesota was too close to call. As he was about to end his remarks and tell everyone to get some sleep, the news came that the Associated Press had confirmed the defeat of the amendment.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Best moment is when the videographer drops the camera and forgets to continue taping - clearly he/she was a part of the celebration.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Nov 8, 2012 6:57:43 AM

2. We LGBT don't ever give each other enough credit. We're SO quick to judge each other based on myths about what we've heard homophobes say about our community (and myths we wrecklessly say out loud ourselves) and yet we never applaud each other. We never give each other credit, or say how proud we are of one another. You guys do realize that the progress made in our movement in the last decade is mind boggling, right? and you do realize it happened as a direct result of every gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual member of our own community and how much we all worked together, right?
    For once...can we give each other some credit and truly be proud of our work?

Posted by: Amir H. | Nov 8, 2012 7:11:52 AM

3. The campaigns in these four states were flawless.....just FLAWLESS. The commercials, the out reach, the language on the ballot,t he ground work, the level of volunteers, the outreach to specific communities and ethnic minorities, the stories about the gay struggle, the ads about children of gay couples, the ads showcasing gay families, the money, the politicians, the HARD working LGBT backers and sponsors. It was absolutely perfection. I can only hope we follow suit in every state like we did in these states.

Posted by: Lady Godiva | Nov 8, 2012 7:13:42 AM

4. Every time I think I'm done weeping for joy - I see another video of that nights reactions. I fall apart. It's exhausting.

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 8, 2012 7:36:33 AM

5. Amazing, stirring video!
    Brought tears to my eyes!
    Love the hugs at the end when the camera angle
    started showing backs, butts, crotches!
    I felt like I was there to share the victory!!
    Bless those wonderful volunteers!!!

Posted by: Greg | Nov 8, 2012 7:41:49 AM

6. Guys...can everyone who reads this PLEASE PLEASE consider tweeting a thank you to Brendon Ayanbadejo, the ravens football player? He has been INSTRUMENTAL in this...with many gay rights organizations crediting him to gaining momentum in Maryland and even Minnesotta where he constantly mentioned in tweets. PLEASE just take one moment of your day and tweet a thank you for his support to Mr. Ayanbadejo. His twitter account is brendon310.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Nov 8, 2012 8:21:09 AM

7. @ USC Trojans Fan

I just checked out Ayanbadejo's twitter page and man is he truly amazing. His tweets made me tear up. What an incredible ally. I agree, everyone be sure to say a supportive thank you to people like him for all his support. Maybe someone should tweet him this video?

Posted by: Tim Leaner | Nov 8, 2012 8:22:36 AM

8. In my youth I parked cars at fundraisers at Hubert Humphrey's home in Waverly. I left Minnesota with my new (four months) partner for the west coast 29 years ago. We're still here and thank god Minnesota is still a wonderful place. Good work!

Posted by: Michael | Nov 8, 2012 8:53:05 AM

9. Pleased with the result, but hate the atmosphere.

Less jubilation, more ruthlessness.

Posted by: Glistening Blade | Nov 8, 2012 10:08:32 AM

10. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT.

Posted by: Juan | Nov 8, 2012 11:19:08 AM

11. WELL DONE!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 8, 2012 11:29:51 AM

12. Congratulations MINNESOTA'S, I just wish we had been more prepared and organized in Virginia before they voted the gay families here out of existence. But what more can you expect from a hypacritical GOP state like Virginia, Virginia is no longer for lovers, only bigots.

Posted by: Tom | Nov 8, 2012 12:40:15 PM

13. I am crying like a baby right now. Congratulations to everyone. G*D Bless us all!

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 8, 2012 12:45:42 PM

14. I followed this race very closely. These guys worked so hard. I have never seen a campaign that is in full gear months before election day. They were working intensely for months. The Star-Tribune did a piece about the campaign in June and the reporter stated that the campaign atmosphere felt like it was 2 days before election day. And they kept at it even after a series of polls showed them likely to lose by a narrow margin. This campaign was the opposite of the incompetent, over-confident No on 8 campaign from 2008.

It would have been awful if they had lost and it is all so sweet to see them win.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 8, 2012 1:59:59 PM

15. OMG George Bush is so stupid, he accidentally voted for Obama:

You can't make this stuff up!

Posted by: dailycurrant | Nov 8, 2012 3:32:40 PM

16. @DailyCurrant: So sorry: Daily Current is another Onion.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 9, 2012 6:36:17 AM