New York | News

NYC Marathon Canceled

Marathon

The NYC Marathon will not take place this Sunday.

Mayor Bloomberg's office reports: "We have decided to cancel the NYC marathon. The New York Road Runners will have additional information in days ahead for participants."

Said Bloomberg in a statement: "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it. We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event — even one as meaningful as this — to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track."

Comments

1. Thank God!

Posted by: Mike | Nov 2, 2012 5:40:03 PM

2. Now they can take all the bottles of water they had stored for the runners and start distributing them. Maybe BOTH the candidates can suspend their campaigns and take the left over money and get some relief for the people. Private organizations are better at this, (for some reason the Red Cross sucks this time). The governmant will ALWAYS fail at this. People need to stop relying on the Gov't because gov't money never ends up with the people who need it.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Nov 2, 2012 5:53:50 PM

3. Cluster f*ck.

Posted by: Whale Oil Beef Hooked | Nov 2, 2012 5:54:10 PM

4. @I WON'T GROW UP: seems to me FEMA is doing a good job this time (but yet the private Red Cross sucks as you say).

I love the people who whine about the government's role in disasters, but you know they will be the very same people who will be the FIRST to b*tch (and the loudest) when something happens in their neighborhood. "The government should has all these resources, why aren't they helping ME now!"

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 2, 2012 6:35:17 PM

5. So the tell everone it's a go, all the runner arrive Friday afternoon or are en route, then they're told it's canceled?

Posted by: Leroy | Nov 2, 2012 6:36:02 PM

6. @Betty,

I don't think anyone doesn't want the government to respond to disasters, the opposite is th case. What angers people is how generally lame their responses are. And this includes non-governmental agencies like the Red Cross and United Way. I could even extrapolate and talk about how lousy over-all the help pretty much all governmental social services are, also. It makes me and MANY others wonder just what exactly do they do with all the $ they get, and they get A LOT.

I live in a big city, come from a big city, and grew up in one [several, actually] and like many are frustrated by things I see daily like mentally ill homeless folks roaming around, obviously in need of a safe, clean place where they should receive the help and care they deserve as human beings who can't care for themselves, and yet after BILLIONS of dollars spent and spent yearly by state and federal governments, all they produce is a few 'programs' that are grossly inadequate for the need, and horrible public homeless shelters where ex-cons just released from prison [some violent and sex offenders], alcoholics, druggies, and those simply down on their luck are all lumped together. After all the money spent, and it's A LOT and still is a lot, there's still not remotely enough decent, adequate housing and care for those who can't care for themselves, instead they're given 'out-patient' treatments and thrown out into the streets doped up like zombies. Far left 'Progressives' back in the 70s and even before then demanded the mentally ill be given their right to live homeless and not in a decent institution. Politicians on the right AND LEFT then saw it as an opportunity to save some $.

I go by a large high-rise city run housing complex for allegedly the elderly and those with disabilities almost every day. It's a very nice and well maintained place. I see many of it's residents and they are neither elderly and certainly don't appear to be disabled mentally or physically. I see the same folks all the time throughout the year. Now apparently they let druggies and hardcore alcoholics live there among the elderly and a few genuinely disabled, but the homeless and obviously mentally ill I see daily just outside this complex are left to fend for themselves.

These kinds of stuff p*sses me off, because I feel bad for the less fortunate and I know d*mn well it's not through lack of $ or funding.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2012 10:27:26 PM

7. Cancelling the marathon is a no brainer. Unfortunately , New York is filled with selfish alpha types who could care less about those without food power and heat. They would gladly tie up critical resources on the marathon to boost their own egos.

Posted by: James | Nov 2, 2012 10:32:38 PM

8. If people view the marathon as a gratuitous waste of resources at a time of need, why do they not hold the city up to the same scrutiny over lighting their baseball fields? Took a cab tonight and the baseball fields on the East River were lit up like a christmas tree. Across FDR Dr were buildings that didn't have power yet.

I'm not necessarily arguing that it should have gone on, nor am I trying to troll this post, but the marathon brings thousands of people into NYC to spend money. While yes, the city contributes some resources, most of the resources are contributed by those running and the major sponsors. Many of those running raised funds for various charities as part of their entrance. Yet we criticize the waste of water and the waste of electricity. Should we equally scrutinize everyones use of water and electricity? I passed a hotel in my cab ride home that was the only place in at least a 2 block radius that had electricity. I assume the hotel had a generator. Are they monsters because they're a commercial business using a generator?

Do we just scrutinize this one because it's an easy target?

Posted by: Matt | Nov 2, 2012 11:19:13 PM

9. @RATBASTARD: I was responding to "I WONT GROW UP" who said the government always fails at disaster relief and private organizations are better, but in the same sentence says that the private organization (the Red Cross) dropped the ball this time. Meanwhile FEMA is getting good grades for their response.

So you say both the government's response (with many of the resources that private organizations don't have), as well as the private organizations response are both lame? So, who is left to do it the next time? The Republicans would like to hand over some, if not all of disaster relief to the private sector/organizations. When the private sector can't handle the first big disaster, you know who are going to be the first ones to whine and b*tch the loudest even thought THEY wanted the government out of the way. Meanwhile it will be us caught in the middle and will suffer the most waiting for help.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said in your rant but it really has nothing to do with disaster relief.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 3, 2012 12:02:22 AM

10. @MATT: I think a compromise should have been struck. Postpone it for a couple of weeks or more. Since we knew this was going to be a big storm, they should have done this BEFORE the first winds started to blow. That way, the out of town participants could have adjusted their travel plans and it would have been an event New Yorkers could rally around for moral support.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 3, 2012 12:15:08 AM

11. Yes I can just see the marathoners running across destroyed houses, hungry angry desperate people cheering them on in their road to victory!

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 3, 2012 6:27:18 PM

12. @Matt:
    "Took a cab tonight and the baseball fields on the East River were lit up like a christmas tree."

Probably the lights are solar powered and just turn on automatically each night...

Posted by: McCoysMarketNYC | Nov 3, 2012 7:04:20 PM

13. @MCCoysMarketNYC that's like assuming the generators were provided by the city and not privately contracted last year for the event. If decisions are based off assumptions, that sorta sucks.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 3, 2012 8:49:42 PM