Diving | Matthew Mitcham | News | Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Olympic Diver Matthew Mitcham Battled Crystal Meth Addiction in 2011

A bombshell revelation from his new autobiography Twists and Turns is that gay Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham was battling an addiction to crystal meth in the years leading up to the London Olympics, at which he failed to medal:

MitchamThe Sydney Morning Herald reports that following his Olympic win in 2008 after still failing to be ranked as World #1, he descended into depression:

Self-doubt came crashing back, fuelled by injury. Secretly smoking crystal meth to boost his moods, he was soon in the grip of addiction.

He knew the drug's dangers. But ''taking it was something I did … to take my mind off things that were upsetting me - to make me feel better about myself.''

The openly gay Mitcham has climbed back from last year's depths with the aid of Narcotics Anonymous, a drug rehabilitation clinic, hypnotherapy and the support of his inner circle. He's chased the demons away and is training for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

In therapy still, he believes he is happier and healthier. As for fully understanding himself, he writes: ''The answers continue to elude me. I may work it out one day.''

Said Mitcham to Australia's Nine News program 60 Minutes: "I certainly was addicted to crystal meth...I just felt like such a massive sham."

Here's the preview to his 60 Minutes interview.

(via outsports)

Comments

1. I really couldn't care less about Matthew's crystal meth addiction. He put it in his mouth. Nobody forced him to do it. It's a self-inflicted injury.

I'm not heartless, though. Therefore, I wish him the best in his recovery. Don't expect me to have any sympathy if he relapses, though. Maybe he should spend less time in those horrible bars of Oxford Street or wherever it is he hangs out.

Posted by: jason | Nov 16, 2012 11:37:31 PM

2. A twink addicted to meth?! Stop the presses! I kid, I kid. I wish him the best.

Posted by: JT | Nov 17, 2012 12:32:04 AM

3. I commend Matthew for his bravery and honesty and I hope that this revelation will in turn help others in need of a lifeline.

In reference to the Troll Triumvirate that live under the Towleroad bridge, are we certain their ridiculous, baiting posts aren't all from a single source? Surely there can't be three people in this world with such a shocking lack of self-awareness. Could all be from Chris Barron.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 17, 2012 10:08:51 AM

4. Of course they're all the same person. You can discern it in his writing "style."

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 17, 2012 10:29:23 AM

5. blah...next

Posted by: Anon | Nov 17, 2012 11:51:59 AM

6. Ratbastard is ONLY ratbastard, me. My style of writing is nothing like the others mentioned as 'trolls'.

I'm convinced Lil' Canadian does 99% of the troll posts under various personas. His M.O. is all over them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 17, 2012 12:06:22 PM

7. Who's he dating???

Posted by: Rick | Nov 17, 2012 3:31:36 PM

8. i'll jump in here to second the conviction that the comments section of this blog is 'littlekiwi' 's play area, and i think most of the troll posts are by him.

Posted by: nico | Nov 17, 2012 3:52:08 PM

9. And I'll jump in to say that you closet-case adults live in a delusional world, and everyone with a functioning brain knows that coming online to anonymously vent fury about the lives of openly-gay people is the only distraction you have from the worthlessness of your own lives.

so thanks

we get it. you type angrily with one hand, and masturbate furiously with two fingers on the other.

anonymous comments online are your only "gay outlet"

and that's sad. but not my problem, nor anyone else's. just yours.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 17, 2012 3:58:15 PM

10. (e_e)

Posted by: nico | Nov 17, 2012 4:06:35 PM

11. 'littlekiwi', you've been *caught* posting as 'rick' before. to paraphrase, you said you 'like messing with that plebe'. I suspect you *are* that plebe.

Posted by: nico | Nov 17, 2012 4:10:15 PM

12. @Gigi: "Surely there can't be three people in this world with such a shocking lack of self-awareness."

LOL I ran out of fingers and toes counting the people I've known who qualify. Welcome to the real world.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 17, 2012 4:52:14 PM

13. The story is about a young man's addiction and his overcoming it. Yet the sick b*stards who post on this site just see it as another opportunity to spew their venom and argue with each other. Congratulations Matthew and good luck in all you do!

Posted by: andrew | Nov 17, 2012 10:23:58 PM

14. LIfe is hard enough without being gay or an athlete. I think any of us who are lucky enough to have avoided drugs should still be able to have empathy for another human being. It takes guts to admit a problem like Matthew's, it takes a lot more for a public figure to admit it publicly. While he doesn't need to be put on a pedestal, condemnation is dumb. His admission just makes the case that even superstar athletes are subject to the same problems as average people who aren't famous. Isn't that enough?

Posted by: mark | Nov 18, 2012 1:27:28 AM

15. It's disappointing that he got involved with drugs, but the gay male psychology often involves a heavy dose of woundedness, so it's not all that surprising. He's still freakin' cute as can be.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Nov 18, 2012 10:39:59 AM

16. Oh Rick, really? All straight men are born to love sports and disliking them is just a 'learned behaviour' - are you for real? As for preferring the social company of women, surely there are just some women's traits which are more appealing than those of some meat-head men. Not ALL women, not ALL men. Just those we do and do not get on with. As for walking like women - I've never seen a day-to-day woman walk like RuPaul on the way to work. And drag doesn't equal gay. Oh there just too much ridiculousness in your post to even cover it all...

Posted by: Dylancat | Nov 18, 2012 1:13:08 PM

17. For several years, I've been ignoring the trolls very easily with the PAGE DOWN key, never reading the trash they write. Unfortunately, I get to see their names when someone discusses them.

Yes, it would be great to ban those trolls.

Or at least making sure their names are out for the newbies to ignore.

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 19, 2012 1:05:42 AM

18. @Rick/Jason/Whomever...how is it you always manage to post either the second or third comment on each and every story? You must sit like a keyboard jockey at your computer all day long, waiting for another story to pop up. I do not believe that is how the internet was intended to be used, but to each their own. Good luck with all that self-loathing. Don't let it eat you up! :)

Posted by: millerbeach | Nov 19, 2012 5:17:44 AM

19. Oh yes, the original reason I came on here...congrats, Matthew. You did something most addicts are dying to do...quit while still alive. No matter how you got there, the real story is how you made it out. Stay strong, bro...you're winning! :)

Posted by: millerbeach | Nov 19, 2012 5:25:23 AM

20. Again, DRUGS ARE GAY like METHEW Wayne Shepard and now Mitchell Mitcham. Homosexual and lesbian sexual behaviors are comparable to drug junkyism and trasexuals are worse than the homos. Abolish sex change mutilations. It's good to be narrow minded against homosexual/lesbian sexual behaviors just as it's good to be narrow minded against drug junkyism. Sometimes the narrow minded view is the right 1.

Posted by: snowisfuns | Nov 19, 2012 6:54:44 AM

21. Regan DuCasse is a black crack lesbian who does smelly farts and shits on others during her lesbian scat. Regan DuCasse smokes crack also because she is Black. DRUGS ARE GAY like METHEW Wayne Shepard, Mitchell Mitcham and BLACK CRACK LESBIANS Regan DuCasse and Pam Spaulding. Pam Spaulding farts and shits on little girls.

Posted by: snowfun | Nov 19, 2012 9:21:46 AM

22. METHEW Mitcham and METHEW Wayne Shepard are who these 2 drug junkies are as both METHEW Mitcham and METHEW Wayne Shepard are drug junkies which proves drugs are gay like Regan DuCasse the Black crack lesbian junky who farts and shits on others during scat sex and while Regan DuCasse who is gassy is high on crack.

Posted by: snowfun | Nov 19, 2012 9:23:51 AM

23. METHEW Mitcham and METHEW Wayne Shepard are who these 2 drug junkies are as both METHEW Mitcham and METHEW Wayne Shepard are drug junkies which proves drugs are gay like Regan DuCasse the Black crack lesbian junky who farts and shits on others during scat sex and while Regan DuCasse who is gassy is high on crack.

Posted by: snowfun | Nov 19, 2012 9:23:53 AM

24. Just a suggestion: If you're going to take anyone seriously here, listen to the ones who aren't spouting negativity in every other post. Without mentioning anyone by name (but you know who they are), those here who have an ax to grind with certain segments of our community are just toxic.

Posted by: ophu | Nov 19, 2012 11:43:22 AM

25. @"snow fun": The problem with letting you mind narrow is that you start losing grey matter out the ends.

Posted by: ophu | Nov 19, 2012 11:47:49 AM