Crime | News | Tennessee

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Beaten Unconscious in Homophobic Assault at Camp for the Homeless: VIDEO

Ortman

Glen Ortmann, a homeless man in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, says he was beaten unconscious in a homophobic assault in a homeless camp in the woods referred to as Tent City, NBC 4 reports:

"It makes it 10 times harder when you're gay and homeless at the same time," Ortmann said. Ortmann said over the weekend he walked right into a trap after recently revealing he's gay. "It was a big crowd, and all I remembered really is being hit once or twice and being knocked out cold," Ortmann said.

His right eye was swollen shut. He also suffered a busted lip and a badly bruised nose. His entire body was filled with pain. "I was sore," he said. "My head was mainly sore from the beating I took."

The homeless man said he has no doubt in his mind he was targeted by the other homeless people at the camp because of his alternative lifestyle. "I was beat up because I was gay," Ortmann said. "It's considered a hate crime. It's against the law to put your hands on someone to begin with."

Ortmann has been homeless for two months, and must remain at Tent City because he has nowhere to go, fearing for his life, he says, and constantly having to look over his shoulder. Police are supposedly investigating a couple names as possible leads in the case.

Watch NBC4's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

WSMV Channel 4

Comments

1. We're only hearing the gay's side of story. He possibly is telling truth but it's also possible he was harassing the man or committed assault and battery on the man before man reacted by bashing gay. Most gay bashings are men reacting to crimes the gays first did and Harvey B. Milk commited homosexual statutory rape on 16 year old boy and DJ WHite by killing Harvey B. Milk in 1978 did what California legal system failed to do to Milk in 1964.

Posted by: snowisfuns | Nov 16, 2012 5:20:19 PM

2. I don't know which is more offensive: the shameful assault or the shamefully low standards of journalism in Tennessee!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 16, 2012 5:29:18 PM

3. Again, we're only hearing the gay's side of the story and while it's possible the homo's story is true it's also possible homo committed crime before he got hit. It's possible that the gay was asking others for sex in bathroom before he was bashed & if this is what happened, then no sympathy for the homo. But with 'gay bashings' if a homosexual is going to be antisocial such as if a homo is going to ask other men for sex in bathrooms, if a gay is going to repeatedly propose after a man said no or if a gay is going to pinch a man's butt or groin against will, then there's no need for a man to tolerate this because the gay in these 3 cases is committing crimes and if a man in these 3 cases bashes or even kills gay, then he did so reacting to crime the gay did-whether the man's reaction with 'gay panic defense' is justified or excess is a jury topic. With 'gay bashings' each case is different and must be judged individually.

Posted by: snowisfuns | Nov 16, 2012 5:39:07 PM

4. @snowisfun: Let's say I'm in a straight club with some of my straight friends & a girl comes up to me and pinches my ass, by your logic I could punch her lights out - you're an idiot!

Posted by: sandisbetter | Nov 16, 2012 6:43:42 PM

5. Can someone educate those southern rednecks about the correct use of terms for LGBT. How offensive "alternative lifestyle" and "anti-homosexual". Hopefully, a local LGBT group can help him. Being gay in the backwards redneck South doesn't help.

Posted by: rk | Nov 16, 2012 6:47:12 PM

6. the reporter..."bc of his alternative lifestyle"

...still with this tired shtick?

Posted by: gomez | Nov 16, 2012 7:11:33 PM

7. Sandisbetter, women wouldn't want to pinch your ass because you're a drug junky homosexual like METHEW Wayne Shepard was. But if a homo is going to pinch a man's butt or groin against will, then the homosexual is committing minimum assault & battery if intent isn't sexual. If the man reacts by punching the gay once or twice in the face then man is self-defense. Now if man reacts by killing the gay, yes, it's hard to justify but a jury must decide.

These cases are unpredictable and if the gay is high on drugs & or has a violent history when he pinches a man's butt or groin against will, then a case can be made that a man who reacts by killing the gay was self-defending against something more violent gay was trying to do. It's possible for a homosexual to 1 minute be asking a man repeatedly for sex or pinching a man's butt or groin against will and then unpredictably the homosexual can get violent because he didn't get what he wanted. A jury must decide each case after hearing both prosecutor and defense whether man's reaction was justified or excess and if it's excess then what degree.

Again, it's a crime to grab a person's butt, groin or boobs against will-minimum assault & battery if intent isn't sexual but something more serious such as sex abuse if it is. There's no need for a man to say no to this and I have no sympathy for gays who get bashed after the gay commits indecent exposure or pinches a man's butt or groin against will-the gay committed a crime andhe got bashed for it. Sandisbetter has smoked too many drugs.

With this Tennessee case again, we're only hearing the gay's story, which is possibly true but it's also possible the gay is saying this for sympathy & again, if this gay got bashed after gay committed a crime such as indecent exposure, then no sympathy. Circumstances can be different from what we're reading here.

Posted by: snowisfuns | Nov 16, 2012 7:18:46 PM

8. We really need to take care of our own. Why can't the affluent gay citizens of each major city establish some sort of housing - much like housing for women seeking to flee from abusive domestic partners. And it needs to happen soon - I am going to talk to my ex husband who is one of those rich gays that could write a check to get this started.

Posted by: jhr459 | Nov 16, 2012 7:42:35 PM

9. *sigh* If there was a way to get some financial help over to him, I'd do it. Hopefully this story will get some traction and Glen will get the help he needs to get back on his feet.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Nov 16, 2012 8:19:23 PM

10. chalk up another one for the christians.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Nov 16, 2012 8:45:11 PM

11. He deserves our compassion, not jealousy because he is handsome...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Nov 16, 2012 8:52:12 PM

12. Wow, he couldn't be more handsome.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 16, 2012 9:21:22 PM

13. If we can help a bus monitor mercilessly teased at her job, we can also help a homeless man, a victim of homophobic violence. Anyone know how to set up an Indiegogo donation campaign? Whatever his circumstances, the guy needs a roof over his head. Once a proper campaign is set up, perhaps all of us can help make this story viral.

Posted by: ohboy | Nov 16, 2012 10:36:39 PM

14. Surely there's a sugar daddy out there who would scoop him up outta the Nashville ghetto… but he's probably addicted to a controlled substance, and wouldn't last long.

Posted by: Andy | Nov 17, 2012 12:19:07 AM

15. @snowisfuns: I know why you like snow so much :D http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/snowman-penis.jpg (I know I shouldn't feed the troll, I'll leave that to Frosty!)

Posted by: sandisbetter | Nov 17, 2012 1:17:22 AM

16. Please tell us how to help this man. I will do so, many of us will, if we know how he can be assurred of receiving funds. Yes, it's time to help our own.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 17, 2012 5:05:48 AM

17. @snowisfun- your Harvey Milk accusation WAS DEAD WRONG.

Posted by: scott | Nov 17, 2012 8:31:47 AM

18. It wasn't, "because of his alternative lifestyle." It was, "because of who he is."

Something has got to be done about the Police's response to these crimes. The apathy makes me so angry!

Posted by: Mike Dedmon | Nov 17, 2012 9:55:40 AM

19. I'd like to help this man as well. I wish there was someone to get in touch with him or to set up a fund drive.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 17, 2012 10:20:42 AM

20. WTF is wrong with some people on here? The dude is a HUMAN BEING an unless he's done something very reprehensible should be treated with respect, not be used and fetishized [word?] because he's 'hot'.

All kinds of people become homeless for many different reasons. I hope the dude gets back on his feat and hopefully some DECENT person[s] and organization can help him out.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 17, 2012 12:12:06 PM

21. This site [TR] is MASSIVELY trolled. EVERY post, most of the comments are by trolls.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 17, 2012 12:14:15 PM

22. I wrote to the reporter who covered this story to see if there was some way to help Glen, if a fund had been set up, etc. I haven't heard back... I also found what appeared to be a possible email address for Glen; it turned out to be defunct.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 17, 2012 12:34:20 PM

23. I always hate hearing about a homeless person being abused. They are exceptionally vulnerable and it's so cruel to add on their already terrible situation.
    Anyone who can do that, deserves to be locked up for good.
    It's always best to be cautious about offering your home to someone. It's best to point them to PUBLIC services for the homeless.
    I took in the gay son of a famous homophobe, after a celebrity comedian called for pleas of support for him.
    That gay guy turned out to be a liar, thief and he robbed me. He'd left and was too far away for the police to do anything. And he wasn't THIS down and out.

So, caution is warranted with complete strangers. Even in this case.
    Although we are well aware the plight of homelessness, especially among gay youth, is an even more persistent issue.

Posted by: Regan DuCasse | Nov 17, 2012 1:30:54 PM

24. I've sent an email to LFLOWERS@WMSV.COM calmly explaining to him how offensive it is to refer to my life as alternative and also thanked him for his report on the horrible hate crime committed against this man.

Posted by: James | Nov 17, 2012 4:58:18 PM

25. @DannyEastVillage: "chalk up another one for the christians."

Huh? Perhaps it's because I'm not a Southerner, but up in the North, even religious homeless shelters will take in LGBT people, most offering (but not compelling!) religious services - the better for their fundraising. It's truly sad that at this time of year the shelters are already too full to take him in.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 17, 2012 5:24:13 PM