Film | James Franco | News

The Full Trailer for James Franco's 'Wizard of Oz' Prequel: VIDEO

Oz_franco

A twister spirits James Franco to the land of Oz in the new Sam Raimi-directed Disney flick, Oz the Great and Powerful, which tells the story of the pre-Dorothy years when Oscar Diggs (Franco), a small-time circus magician, transformed himself into the Wizard after facing down three powerful witches.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Oz2_franco

Comments

1. "Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 14, 2012 11:24:08 AM

2. Looks impressive, effects-wise. Hopefully the script doesn't fall flat like it did in "Alice in Wonderland".

Posted by: AJ | Nov 14, 2012 11:25:14 AM

3. Looks great. Too scary for a 5 1/2 year-old?

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 14, 2012 11:29:36 AM

4. Agree, looks great. Hopefully the script is great, too.
    Again, JF is such a fine actor.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 14, 2012 11:35:18 AM

5. Oh CHRIST a whole new generation of frightened crying screaming children are being made. I still have not gotten over seeing Auntie Em's face being over laid by the Wicked Witch's in the crystal ball. I'm still in therapy!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 14, 2012 11:35:59 AM

6. Without Dorothy, this isn't Oz.

Posted by: Sarina | Nov 14, 2012 11:47:17 AM

7. James Franco... he needs to disappear for a bit so that i might like him again... My aunt is a professor at NYU and she said he caused way to much trouble for her co-workers.

I was hoping the next Oz film would be 'Wicked' .. maybe this will be the Abraham Lincoln vampire slayer to the Spielberg Lincoln.

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 14, 2012 11:51:12 AM

8. Once again Hollywood takes a classic children's story of courage and friendship and translates it into a war story to indictrinate its viewers into war culture. I understand that it's the video game generation that they want to reach, but I'm sad to see the innocence of my childhood tales treated as fodder for corporate stock performance.

Posted by: stranded | Nov 14, 2012 11:59:09 AM

9. too much CGI nonsense that has no basis in ANY of the Oz literature

Posted by: jtr | Nov 14, 2012 12:02:06 PM

10. so does this mean - its Mila Kunas' character who is eventually the one to encounter Dorothy, or the other one who plays her sister? which one of them (in the future)- becomes flattened by Dorothy's house?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 14, 2012 12:03:19 PM

11. I have high hopes for this one! Or maybe I'll just get high before I go see it!

Posted by: Frank | Nov 14, 2012 12:13:55 PM

12. I should add that Sam Raimi did great with 2 Spiderman movies and maybe he'll make this work too. Has some great visuals based on the MGM film.

Baum's work has been interpreted for every generation for 112 years. It's fascinating to see how current versions reflect our times.

Posted by: stranded | Nov 14, 2012 12:21:54 PM

13. I really wish someone would do a faithful adaptation of the BOOK "Wicked." The Broadway musical turned it into a story of "girl-power" or whatever, but that was a very minor theme in the book, which was more about standing up against oppression and Fascism. The Wicked Witch was only "wicked" because she was standing up to the establishment, which was committing atrocities.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 14, 2012 12:26:56 PM

14. Sounds like a pretty good idea

Posted by: Will | Nov 14, 2012 1:17:23 PM

15. Rest in peace Frank Morgan. A great actor. James Franco also great, but this flick seems wrong. Leave it alone. Next it'll be Dorothy's story after Aunt Em died. I mean, who cares. Leave it alone.

Posted by: Billy Beyond | Nov 14, 2012 1:54:06 PM

16. Oi Vey, it just looks like a cross between Alice and Wonderland and that Grinch movie with Jim Carey.

I was so hoping that it'd be less...digital..More like the original Wizard of Oz and The Return to Oz.

Posted by: adam | Nov 14, 2012 1:57:01 PM

17. @Disgusted American Mila Kunis' character becomes the Wicked Witch of the West while Rachel Weisz's becomes the Wicked Witch of the East.

@Caliban I've been hoping for a faithful adaptation of all four books for years. Sadly, we're sure to get an adaptation of the musical long before anyone thinks about the books.

Posted by: Keith | Nov 14, 2012 1:59:07 PM

18. y'know, when it comes to OZ it's sorta funny.... the much-pilloried "Return to Oz" is actually the closest in tone to the original Baum novels.

this looks like a grand adventure.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 14, 2012 2:11:27 PM

19. Many films, especially the classics, will continue to be remade. People who complain about that have a right to boycot newer versions. But, "Oz the Great and Powerful" appears to be prequil. And from an art direction standpoint, it looks visually compelling. People who complain about the film industries latest tool, CGI, need to know every new innovation, including the introduction of sound, had "film purists" claiming it was a detriment to the industry. It's a great tool for fantasy and science fiction films to cost effectively create worlds. Even in "Schindler's List" it was used to such great effect that many had no idea it was used at all. For "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" or "Avitar" CGI was essential to create those worlds. It's not the film innovation that matters... it's how it's applied. Let's hope they poured money into the script as well.

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 14, 2012 2:49:03 PM

20. @Disgusted American Mila Kunis' character becomes the Wicked Witch of the West while Rachel Weisz's becomes the Wicked Witch of the East.

...so then its Weiz's character that has the Ruby Slippers, that Mila Kunis (WWE)eventually wants..and winds up melting over, hmmmmmm...ok I see the picture.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 14, 2012 2:52:31 PM

21. ...so then since they aren't going by the story WICKED..I wonder WHY Mila Kunis' character Turns Green?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 14, 2012 2:56:20 PM

22. maybe she turns green over Jealousy..over the WIZARD being flirtatious with the WWE and Glinda?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 14, 2012 2:57:11 PM

23. @STRANDED - Are you referring to the movie? The first novel? Because quite a lot of his subsequent Oz books had armies and battles (though generally fairly cartoonish and ineffectual).

I was a huge, huge Oz fan as a child. We didn't have electricity but we'd drive to my aunt's house whenever it was on TV. I read and re-read all 14 original books over and over. But I'm okay with this take on it, just as I was okay with Gregory Maguire's "Wicked," Geoff Ryman's "Was," and other adaptations. A friend of mine and I have said for years that we'd be curious to see a Tim Burton adaptation. This seems close.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Nov 14, 2012 5:13:41 PM

24. I agree with many comments above. There is too much CGI in here and it's exactly the same look as Alice in Wonderland. Very disappointing.

Also, I think all three actresses picked to play the witches are not good choices.

Once again Disney makes a terrible movie. Just who is it in Disney who continues to make these same mistakes over and over ?

I was really looking forward to this movie but now I think I will give it a miss.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 14, 2012 5:43:08 PM

25. I resent how the gays have co-opted this fantasy classic. Thank the gods they didn't turn the Hobbit into a musical!

Posted by: Mike de WeHo | Nov 14, 2012 7:23:09 PM