2012 Election | News | Republican Party

Conservative Explains Why Republicans Want to Suppress Voting: VIDEO

Weyrich

Right Wing Watch pulls up this video of arch-conservative Paul Weyrich to explain why the right-wing engages in voter suppression. It was shot 30 years ago, and the story hasn't changed since:

The media frequently reports on right-wing and GOP voter suppression efforts, but they rarely acknowledge the root cause – Republicans do better when fewer people vote. This is the driving force behind the GOP’s draconian voter ID laws and efforts to limit early voting, voter registration drives, and provisional voting.

The right wing and GOP have whipped up hysteria around voter fraud, which is virtually non-existent, in order to justify roadblocks to voting for millions of Americans. I’ll let Paul Weyrich explain why.

Weyrich is widely regarded as the “founding father of the conservative movement.” He founded ALEC and co-founded the Heritage Foundation, Moral Majority, Council for National Policy, and Free Congress Foundation, among others.

"I don't want everybody to vote," says Weyrich in the video.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

ScottThis is exactly what's happening in Florida right now, as you may have read:

Early voting is supposed to make it easier for people to carry out their constitutional right. Tuesdays are notoriously inconvenient to take off work, so many states have given voters the option of turning out on weekends or other weekdays in the run-up to Election Day.

But in Florida this year, it has been a nightmare for voters, who have faced record wait times, long lines in the sun and a Republican governor, Rick Scott, who has refused to budge and extend early voting hours.

"People are getting out to vote. That's what's very good," said Scott.

People are getting out to vote -- but many of them are having to wait in line for three or four hours to do so. One contributor to DailyKos claimed it took 9 hours to vote.

Charlie Crist has called it for what it is: "indefensible" voter suppression.

Comments

1. This should be a wakeup call to all those in GOP controlled states, vote the F*er's out next election so you can get your access to voting restored...

I'm lucky I live in California where you can register as a permanent absentee voter and just mail your ballot back. I voted about a month ago... no waiting in line, very convenient... as it should be.

I have friends who live in Brazil, where it is mandatory to vote. If you don't vote, you get fined unless you can provide an adequate excuse of why you didn't vote. If you are over age 70 you no longer have to vote, it is voluntary.

When I told them about the antics of the GOP trying to curtail voting they were absolutely aghast. They couldn't believe a country which is known worldwide for freedom and democracy permitted such activity. I for one think we need to make voting mandatory. It is shameful people don't exercise their franchise.

Posted by: MikeH | Nov 5, 2012 2:16:34 PM

2. The squeal how much this country should be about 'the people,' yet shudder to think of the consequences if all 'the people' voted.

Posted by: kpo5 | Nov 5, 2012 2:24:41 PM

3. What friggin side of history are you on when you try to stop people from voting???

Posted by: Michael | Nov 5, 2012 2:35:44 PM

4. Yes, Scott is guilty of trying to suppress the vote. That said, we had 8 days during which we Florida could cast an early vote. This period encompassed three weekend days, 7am until 7pm on each day. I have been voting in Florida since 1975, back when everyone had to cram it all into one day. This whining and these lines are an example of what happens when most of these people waited until the last two days to vote. I waited until the last two days to vote. Back two presidential cycles ago I went on the last day and waited nearly three hours to cast my vote. We had twelve days at this time and there were still long lines. This year, I went on the first Saturday and waited only twenty minutes.

The point I am trying to make is that, with all of the real cases of voter suppression going on, I feel that this is not a good example for everyone to be focusing on. In this case, with 96 hours that the polls were open for early voting, it is a case of personal time management more than not enough time to vote.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 5, 2012 2:43:00 PM

5. Steve, I live in Florida, and wanted to vote in person because of the huge absentee ballot fraud problem in Florida. I had an absentee ballot, but I didn't trust mailing it in. My husband always votes absentee, and about 30 days after one election here, he got a letter saying that his ballot was rejected because his signature didn't match the one on file. The New York Times and Miami Herald had huge stories on how the risk of your ballot not counting is doubled in Florida if you vote absentee. I went to vote in person and saw the hours long line. I decided to mail in my ballot. There is no justification for having cut early voting from 14 days to 8 days. This is all about voter suppression and nothing else, and there is no justification for it.

Posted by: David | Nov 5, 2012 2:57:23 PM

6. How is it possible that Florida could have so many problems with voting and yet Los Angeles (and California, in general with a much larger population and state size) does not? I've voted in LA for 18 years and there have been no long lines or insane hoops to jump through. It's pretty obvious that Florida's political leadership is intentionally f*cking things up.

Posted by: unruly | Nov 5, 2012 3:02:03 PM

7. David, You did not have to stand in line to drop off your mail-in/absentee ballot. You could have dropped it off at the office without waiting in the line to do so. They were accepting them that way right through today in Pinellas county.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 5, 2012 3:04:59 PM

8. For what it's worth, Voting is not a Constitutional Right. States get to set election policy and certain groups (women, minorities and 18+ year olds) have had the ability to vote extended to them. But no where in the Consitition is there a right to Vote.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 5, 2012 3:09:02 PM

9. I just watched the entire video associated with this clip. It's SCARY! The Talibangelists are succeeding in their plan. They're slowly but surely taking over control of government. We should all be very afraid.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 5, 2012 3:31:24 PM

10. Republican = Evil

Posted by: Binaround | Nov 5, 2012 3:46:07 PM

11. Scott,

You could be a bit more expansive on your statement regarding the Right to Vote.

Although there is no Constitutional Right to Vote, the 15th Amendment does protect "your" right to vote if you choose to vote.

Posted by: BRAINS | Nov 5, 2012 4:21:19 PM

12. I'm not in any way justifying the voter suppression going on in OH of FL, but you get what you paid for. Hopefully the voters in those two states won't vote for Republican governors that suppress their votes. Of course, it is hard to vote them out when they make sure that people in Republican counties can vote and people in Democratic counties can't.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Nov 5, 2012 9:18:58 PM

13. I'm not in any way justifying the voter suppression going on in OH of FL, but you get what you paid for. Hopefully the voters in those two states won't vote for Republican governors that suppress their votes. Of course, it is hard to vote them out when they make sure that people in Republican counties can vote and people in Democratic counties can't.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Nov 5, 2012 9:18:59 PM

14. @Unruly: Friday Night's Rachel Maddow contained a segment addressed to predictable electoral disasters. One of them was Florida's repeated screw ups.

BTW - Some of the Religious Right are already gearing up to prove that an Obama victory was the result of voter fraud. One pundit even thinks Obama wants the election to go to SCOTUS! (I kid you not.)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 6, 2012 1:42:40 AM