Discrimination | GLAAD | News | Transgender

Watch The 'I AM' Series Celebrating Transgender Allies: VIDEO

NoahGLAAD

As seen in the post about LGBT inclusion in the corporate world, there's still a considerable gap between people's acceptance of lesbians and gays and their acceptance of transgender people.

The organizers behind this week's Transgender Awareness Week (November 15-20) hope to bridge that divide and win equality for all Americans and  GLAAD and the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition's  "I AM" video series could go a long way in achieving that goal.

Transgender Awareness Week climaxes on the 20th, Transgender Day of Remembrance, the annual commemoration of fallen friends who were targeted for their gender identity. Before that, watch two of the four new 'I AM' videos AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Sorry, Niles, my phone autocorrected your name to "Miles".

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 15, 2012 4:19:57 PM

2. DEV,

I can tell you what Transgender folk (who were not Transsexual and were not Straight Transvestites) called themselves 2 decades ago. They called themselves Gay.

Yes, most of the people under the "T" called themselves Gay pre 1990s.

THEDRDONNA,

thank you for your patience with my strategy of not using what is now the appropriate language on this subject--trying to get my point across to a certain audience.

Shaunie's point is important also. I don't think I'll use this strategy of using "old timey" language anymore. I'll use the term Transwoman even when I'm talking to those who haven't yet learned the word. They'll learn.

As I said, the personal memory of the hatred coming from some Gay men toward Transfolk is something I'll never forget (and unfortunately, I find the bad memories hard to forgive).

I appreciate both Shaunie's and your comments.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 15, 2012 4:22:33 PM

3. Miles, not only were trans activists not supporting marriage equality, they were actively encouraging other trans people to vote no. These are vile, malicious people who see LGBs as a bank account and a source of cheap, obedient labor. Like gay people are supposed to not pursue equality because they have some "duty" or "obligation" to non-gay transsexuals and crossdressers to focus on their bathroom issues. When gay people fail to toe the line, these trans activists lash out hatefully and often violently, vandalizing lesbian property in Michigan, stalking and hurling heavy objects at the head of Dan Savage, intimidating gay filmmaker Diego Luna, and on and on.

This is what LGBT has wrought. If Ts and LGBs were allies, we could help them when WE decided that it makes sense for us to do so. We could decline to help when it doesn't make sense for us to get involved. But when you concoct a phony "community" in which Ts are one and the same as LGBs, we are stripped of our right to say no. The trans activists no longer have to ask for help, they can demand not only that we help, but that we subordinate our most important goals to theirs. "LGBT" must die if gay, lesbian and bi people are to recover their movement.

Posted by: Dev | Nov 15, 2012 4:28:10 PM

4. Dev, once again, you're painting the whole based on the actions of a few extremists. As has been discussed at some length, most people recognize that the community exists, and that LGBT is not a made up idea but a description of reality. I have no odea what circles you move in, but they must be pretty constrictive if you don't think trans folks have anything in common with the LGB community. And don't kid yourself, creating division and sowing animosity between the subsets of the queer community are nothing but detrimental and bigtoted.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 15, 2012 4:44:25 PM

5. @Dev: But not all GLBs agree with marriage equality either. Does that mean that we're not all part of the same community? Are thy not real GLBs? Or are those of us who DO support marriage equality not real GLBs? Does a difference of opinion on a single point obviate a community? Does that mean that our mutual interests on OTHER aspects of equality count for nothing?

You seem to be trying to divide instead of trying to unite. I am not convinced. Or impressed.

Posted by: United States | Nov 15, 2012 5:57:22 PM

6. @TheDrDonna:

Too bad you don't address anything I say and instead impugn my motives and my social circle. This shows you really have nothing to say of substance.

Needless to say, I have never said that Ts do not have "anything in common" with LGBs. Of course they do. So do lots of other groups. That doesn't mean we are one "people" with every group on the planet with whom we have some things in common. The objection isn't to being allies with Ts. The objection is to the fake concept that LGBs are one people or one unitary community with transsexuals, transvestites, hermaphrodites, and all heterosexuals who in some way operate outside of "traditional gender norms." LGBs went along with this nonsense for a time, but as the costs mount, we aren't having it any longer.

Posted by: Dev | Nov 15, 2012 6:38:45 PM

7. Dev, what could I possibly say at this point? You've shown a dedication to promoting divisiveness in the past, and I've made plenty of points that you either ignored or redirected. Do you have any source on that unsubstantiated rumor about trans activists telling people to vote against marriage equality? I've asked about 5 times now and you always carefully ignore it. What can a rational person say when they are confronted by someone who denies reality? How can a person engage in meaningful debate when all the other side does is redirect and use throwaway "facts" that they refuse to back up? I've made my points. They stand unchallenged.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 15, 2012 6:55:34 PM

8. And further, Your motives are obvious and disgusting. You just claimed that trans activists "are vile, malicious people who see LGBs as a bank account and a source of cheap, obedient labor." That isn't someone who's interested in mutual understanding, that's someone who wants to push apart groups, create the divide and then widen it. Don't try to pretend otherwise.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 15, 2012 7:11:42 PM

9. What I said about trans activists is true. Every word. However, trans activists are not synonymous with all trans people, although maybe you think otherwise. If I understand you correctly, criticism of "trans activists" is now illegitimate because it makes one "divisive" and "disgusting." Sorry, but I couldn't care less about your judgments. Trans activists - bitter, hostile, and emotionally unbalanced - are uniquely unqualified to judge others.

As for your demanding information from me, I again couldn't care less. I don't take orders from you or any other trans activist. Get it through your head: gay people are not your servants. If you want data, give data. Let's have some hard data as to what the "trans community" contributes to LGB orgs or to marriage equality. Don't cite wikipedia, OK? You've already embarrassed yourself with that several times. By "contribute" I mean something valuable in terms of money or labor. Making demands and criticizing gay orgs does not count as a contribution. Give me a real answer, and I'll answer your question.

Posted by: Dev | Nov 15, 2012 11:17:01 PM

10. I've donated time and money to pro-LGBT organizations. I am a conscientious voter who always votes for a progressive, forward looking and inclusive agenda. In my dealings in my day-to-day life, I go out of my way to make it clear I'm supportive of everyone, regardless of their sexuality or gender identity. You're a coward trying to stir up anti-trans sentiment using this trans activist straw man. Instead of providing information, or backing up your claims with data, you call names and push for division. As for Wikipedia, well, I can understand how the idea of actually looking at footnotes and doing research is tiring. I'm not trying to write an academic dissertation here, I'm having a chat with other folks on the Internet. The only thing embarrassing is the idea that by simply referencing Wikipedia, I've compromised myself. That's dated and belies an inability to use the Internet like a responsible, knowledgeable adult. Are you still going to avoid providing verifications, links, anything for your claims? And, by opposing you in your bigoted views, I automatically become one of the reviled "trans activists"? That's pathetic.

And I haven't been criticizing gay organizations, I've been criticizing you for your hateful, divisive, selfish, misleading words. You aren't representative, thank god, so stop trying to take on the royal "we" when you push your own opinions.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 15, 2012 11:42:43 PM