Film | John Waters | News | San Francisco

John Waters Supports SF's Roxie Theater, The USA's Oldest Running Cinema and Public Wanking Haven: VIDEO

Waters

Filmmaker John Waters appears in a Kickstarter video to save San Francisco's Roxie Theater, the USA's oldest continuously running cinema, which says it needs support to become a sustainable non-profit.

Says Waters: ""On a slow night, if few people are there, you can masturbate in the theater! Or better yet, have sex with a fellow ticket-buyer on a really good night there! Afterwards, you can have a drink in one of the many alarming bars of this neighborhood...If you don't give them money, you're an assh*le, plain and simple."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's the Kickstarter page for you non-assh*les.

Writes the theater:

The Roxie has remained true to its mission to promote and support truly independent film / filmmakers and programming that would likely never be presented at more mainstream, profit-based venues. That’s right, the Roxie continues to stay rooted in a commitment to taking risks with non-traditional and experimental films – works that are critical to challenging the status quo and inspiring viewers. Films have become one of the most important and effective sources for presenting stories that need to be told and communities that need to be recognized.

(via louis virtel at afterelton)

Comments

1. What a sleeze. KIWI in 50 years.

Posted by: DOUBTLESS | Nov 16, 2012 12:21:45 PM

2. 50 ?! hah. I say 10 years max.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 16, 2012 12:27:33 PM

3. How can you guys call John Waters a sleeze? He's a genius.

Posted by: jakke | Nov 16, 2012 12:30:12 PM

4. At it's best, the Roxie was like an extension of the Castro: I remember seeing "All That Heaven Allows" there. It was wall to wall queens who knew every line!

Is the York on 24th still open?

Alarming bars: is Esta Noche still next door? The 500 club on Guerrero was one of my favorite SF dives. Neighborhood went upscale real fast in the 90s. Don't know what survived.

Posted by: peter | Nov 16, 2012 12:34:27 PM

5. Heck, i'd LOVE to be John Waters in 10 years. the man's an icon and a film legend! ;)

his sense of humour, alas, is lost on the Closeted.

we need to support the small independent theatres. wanna see an art film? wanna see experimental works? they won't be coming to your local megaplex.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 16, 2012 12:37:13 PM

6. It's SLEAZE, BTW. And I think that Mr. Waters would bow down thanking you for acknowledging his impact on our world.

Long live Pope John Waters!

Posted by: Rey | Nov 16, 2012 12:38:11 PM

7. A long time ago, I saw John Waters in a "no smoking in the theater" video, and it was hilarious - he was puffing away on a cigarette, commenting on how enjoyable it was. He made satirical comments like how smoking gave ushers jobs (the theater needed someone to go around asking people not to smoke). At the end they ran a second or two in reverse so that the smoke went into his mouth instead of out of it.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 16, 2012 1:44:02 PM

8. He has always made me laugh!

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Nov 16, 2012 1:48:38 PM

9. Just for the record, the second comment in the thread was not from me, the "real" Rick--but I nevertheless thought it was apropos and funny.

My goodness, if imitation is the sincerest from of flattery, people must think an awful lot of me, given how often I am parodied.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 16, 2012 1:53:59 PM

10. A bit NY-centric. There's a lot of causes out there, I can't afford to give to all of them and I'm tapped out for the year.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 16, 2012 2:01:01 PM

11. You never forget the first time you saw Pink Flamingos.

it's just one of those rites of passage :)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 16, 2012 2:07:42 PM

12. I don't think it is NY-centric: John Waters is probably referring to the Roxie Theater in San Francisco, where he used to live early in his film-making career.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 16, 2012 2:10:55 PM

13. The Minor Theater in Arcata California is the oldest operating movie theater in the united states.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 16, 2012 2:30:00 PM

14. John, the film fanatic IS at home.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 16, 2012 3:47:56 PM

15. RICK - the real RICK - lots of us do think well of you, and of Jason and Ratb, and others who refuse to toe the fem line, headed by Miss Canada. But now we may have another Rick, and what could be better than that, though I hope he doesn't despise ALL fem people, just the aculturated ones.

JASON - your demand the other day that we should never allow ourselves to be catagorized was perfect advice. Mind is everything.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 16, 2012 4:18:06 PM

16. Waters can be a hysterical writer not too mention a great director of trash classics. Long live Devine!

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 16, 2012 5:28:18 PM

17. Long live Pope John Waters!

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Nov 16, 2012 8:48:32 PM

18. Ok, so Uffda is a jerk too, and it wouldn't really surprise me if he were the same person as Rick and Jason.

Grow up. I'm not sure why I read these comments anymore. They've made this site awful. Are you 12, straight, and annoying as hell? The answer would seem to be yes.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 16, 2012 11:36:06 PM

19. Vile man. I don't despise many people, but I despise him.

Posted by: Maggie | Nov 17, 2012 12:30:26 PM

20. PAUL - that you can't imagine there are more than one or two dissenters from the popular view is proof either than you can't read or that or are just too too fragile for this world. Get a life. Of your own.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 17, 2012 6:33:49 PM

21. The York theater was run as a rep house back when that sort of thing worked. Then it was sold and redone as Brava Theater Center, originally dedicated to doing women and minority centric theater, but eventually branching out into other sorts of shows as well. Still in operation as far as I know.

Posted by: emjayay | Nov 17, 2012 7:14:31 PM