News: Pink Shoes, Edie Windsor, Squid, Obamadon, Spice Girls

RoadA behind-the-scenes look at how marriage equality was won at the ballot!

RoadDo you think Helena, Montana needs an anti-discrimination ordinance. Vote here.

PinkshoesRoadFacebook photo of 5-year-old who wants to wear pink shoes to school sparks viral debate.

RoadIan McKellen: I have prostate cancer.

RoadDepeche Mode sign with Columbia Records, ready new album for March.

RoadGreat profile on Edie Windsor and the DOMA case in the NYT: “It’s thrilling for me to be in this position,” she said at the eighth-floor apartment on Fifth Avenue just north of Washington Square that she and Ms. Spyer shared for three decades. “It’s almost a deliriously joyous thing for an old lady.”

RoadBeyoncé signs $50 million deal with Pepsi, will appear on can.

RoadBill de Blasio's wife Chirlane McCray reflects on her lesbian past: “When I think about how young I was, what the world was like in 1979, I’m proud at what I was able to do. I was able to project my voice and claim my space in the world,” McCray said. “I hope young people struggling with their identity try to take heart from that. That was 33 years ago. The world has progressed a great deal.”

SquidRoadLiving giant squid caught on video for first time (not photo).

RoadChristina Aguilera responds to suggestive photo of Hillary Clinton staring at her boobs: "It was mutual."

RoadAmerican Idol begins promoting Mariah Carey-Nicki Minaj feud.

RoadVIDEO: Rita Ora's "Radioactive".

RoadHow would John Roberts rule on gay marriage cases? Richard Socarides: "If he rules against gay rights now, how is Roberts going to feel about the overturning of this precedent later—or having it overturned while he is still on the Court as Chief? That’s not to say public opinion is the only factor here. But the Supreme Court has previously held that marriage is a fundamental right, and sexual orientation, especially when viewed from today’s perspective, meets all the requirements for heightened constitutional scrutiny." Flashback: Roberts donated help to Romer v. Evans...

RoadObamadon: Researchers name extinct lizard after Obama. "It is a small polyglyphanodontian distinguished by tall, slender teeth with large central cusps separated from small accessory cusps by lingual grooves."

RoadVIDEO: Adam Lambert pays a visit to Wendy Williams.

DuckRoadGigantic rubber duck floats through London.

RoadJustice Scalia's 7 worst anti-gay statements.

RoadWingnut Matt Barber claims half of gay men were sexually assaulted by pedophiles as children. "When not fighting the 'war on Christmas,' Mat Staver and Matt Barber continue to fight the California law that bans the use of sexual orientation conversion therapy on minors, which they have now taken to calling 'Jerry Sandusky laws' on the grounds that children who are sexually abused will now become gay because they will not be allowed to get therapy to help them deal with the abuse. "

RoadSpice Girls musical set to open in London: "The members of the 1990s girl group – Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice, Emma Bunton aka Baby Spice, Geri Halliwell aka Ginger Spice, Melanie Brown aka Scary Spice and Melanie Chisholm aka Sporty Spice – are all expected on the red carpet for Tuesday's opening night at London's Piccadilly Theater."

Comments

1. here's the sad thing - most of the naysayers (boy with the pink shoes) would gladly give him a toy gun.

that's our culture. and damn, it needs changing. kudos to those parents.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 11, 2012 4:24:41 PM

2. Beyonce...ladies are gonna stay single from all those calories they'll be gettin from your Pepsi push

Posted by: Michael Graye | Dec 11, 2012 4:38:36 PM

3. Hey, crazy people like Barber used to say all gay men were molested; they're halfway there!

Posted by: JFE | Dec 11, 2012 4:55:38 PM

4. is that how homosexuality occurs in the animal kingdom, too?

the lion got molested by another male lion? the duck had an overbearing mother and an absentee father?

wow.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 11, 2012 5:03:00 PM

5. According to his agent, Ian McKellen does NOT have prostate cancer:

Posted by: Eric | Dec 11, 2012 5:03:32 PM

6. Fourth crossdressing post in 2 days as the gutless, amoral Andy Towle tries to get back into the good graces of trans activists. C'mon Andy. Don't stop your self-debasement now. We still need a post on how gay men all use lipstick and aren't really men.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 11, 2012 5:05:52 PM

7. Jeff, stop being upset that that kid has parents that support him no matter who he is, or how he is about it, and yours didn't.

it's not the fault of gender-nonconformists, and their supportive family and friends who love them, that you're still in Stage 2 of dealing with your Velvet Rage.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 11, 2012 5:08:52 PM

8. Since when does a kid liking pink count as a transgender issue? If that story at all makes you think the kid is transgendered, you're pretty ignorant on the issue. Though, from your post, you seem to have a number of issues to work through as it is.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 11, 2012 5:23:55 PM

9. I see the boy in pink shoes to be a good thing, it works like this: Kid wants to wear pink shoes. Parents warn kid. Kid dons shoes anyway. Kid will be picked on for shoes (Not bullied, not necessarily, there is a big difference). Kid will either throw shoes away and learn a lesson about group think and his school, or the kid will defend himself and his choices.

The last part is where the parents need to come in! Any parent can let their kid wear strange/bent things, it takes a real parent to explain the aftermath in a way where the child is empowered into making and understanding their own decision.

When I was a kid, one Halloween I wanted to go as an angel. I was really into gipsy art (I had just played ff6) and so I wanted my angel costume to be adorned and real. So I put on white flowy robes and tied them with jeweled necklaces. You get the rest of the picture, I was Pit's much gayer brother. My mom all but blocked the door she was so anxious about me getting ripped apart outside, but i went anyway. The kids were instantaneously calling me fag and laughing and I got really hurt and ran home. My mom explained the weight of choices and how they pay off. She got me a book on activism later to reinforce that some stands aren't "worth" taking at the time, but are actually vitally important. It let me have conviction in my actions, that I was doing things with purpose, that I was choosing to fight.

I hope parents that have these kids follow up with them. The damage control phase is always the most auspicious time to learn.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 11, 2012 5:32:25 PM

10. JEFF/Rick: please work out your issues and get a grip! Happy Holidays.

Posted by: BETTY | Dec 11, 2012 5:35:20 PM

11. The cool thing about the boy is that he doesn't see the pink shoes as feminine. He's described as a more or less typical boy who just happens to like some pink shoes. I'm reminded of people who think necklaces, earrings, long hair, bodywash, etc. are feminine. These are all examples of arbitrary gender appropriations--they have no intrinsic relation to gender at all. The degendering of pink would be a welcome cultural development.

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 11, 2012 6:26:56 PM

12. Most of the comments I've seen around the web have been positive towards the little boy Sam and his mother. That's really good to see. I doubt that would have happened a few years ago. And hopefully *the* fact most of the comments have been positive serves as a means to get the people who are more uncomfortable with gender nonconformity/homosexuality/whatever issues they have on board and gets them to realize it really isn't a big deal is a boy wears pink heels or wants to play with toys promoted to girls.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 11, 2012 8:01:28 PM

13. Thanks for supporting Helena's non-discrimination ordinance- it's been a long ride....

Posted by: D Gregory Smith | Dec 11, 2012 8:03:07 PM

14. I once saw a boy with pink shoes
    Who loved them because they made news.
    His passion I think
    Was not about pink
    But 'bout having the freedom to choose.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 11, 2012 8:10:09 PM

15. It's just a color.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Dec 11, 2012 8:27:23 PM

16. Beyonce & Pepsi - good match. Lucky her.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 12, 2012 5:27:59 AM