Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News

Andrew Dice Clay Stands By 'Fag' Onstage: 'It's Funny'

AndrewDiceClayDavid Haglund sat down with Andrew Dice Clay to discuss the comedian's upcoming Showtime special, his first in 17 years, and the use of the term "fag" therein.

From their conversation published at Slate:

Slate: You start the new special with your sons opening up for you, so we see Andrew Dice Clay the family man right away. But then in one of your very first riffs once you’re on stage, you give one of the guys in the front rows a hard time by saying he’s going to "catch gay."

Clay: You’re going to "catch fag." I don’t say gay.

Slate: Because gay is too nice a word?

Clay: I get asked about that. And I say, “Why would I say gay? That’s politically correct.” But the other reason I say fag—number one, let’s just talk about the word fag. Fag is a funny word. To gays, it was insulting years ago, and I understand that because I have gay friends. But as a word onstage, for what I do as a comic, you don’t say, “You’re going to catch gay.” It’s not funny. “You’re going to catch fag” is funny.

Clay isn't homophobic, he says, he simply wants to highlight the contradiction between right-wing arguments against equality and reality. "The reason I did the bit, honestly, is that during the presidential race, when Romney was saying that when he’s president there will be no gay marriages, I’m thinking, 'Is this guy just a f*cking idiot?'" he said.

Clay went on, "The way it is today with this recession, people can’t afford to keep their homes anymore, everybody’s losing everything, and this guy is worried about who’s going to marry who? Whether you’re gay, straight, you can’t tell anybody who to love and who to marry. It’s unconstitutional and it’s morally wrong."

Comments

1. Please, do not forget, this horrible, evil man ridiculed AIDS victims, and said astoundingly hateful things about gay people generally. Do not forget. His present pro-marriage-equality statements cannot begin to make up for his horrifically homophobic "comedy." Which, amazingly, he apparently is still doing to some extent today.

This guy was a nightmare for me, about 23 years ago, when I was having an extremely hard time accepting being gay. He -- along with the Beastie Boys -- popularized gay bashing in, to, and of young people. He is partly responsible for gay kids of that era killing themselves. No joke.

Disgusting man -- then, and now. Any organization broadcasting and/or sponsoring him should be vigorously boycotted. He is not simply not OK. Shame on anybody promoting him in any way whatsoever.

Posted by: American | Dec 20, 2012 8:59:59 PM

2. He is being ironic you know......

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Dec 20, 2012 9:01:31 PM

3. Irony is only effective if done well. This man, who I honestly thought had died years ago, doesn't do it well. He's a has been loser who deserves to be relegated to the dust bin of entertainment history.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 20, 2012 10:16:43 PM

4. Personally I don't think slurs should be off limits for stand-up comics, but they just have to be very smart and funny jokes. Somehow I doubt Mr Dice's jokes are going to be especially smart or funny.

Posted by: Scott | Dec 20, 2012 10:46:00 PM

5. Fag is not funn and neither are you?

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 20, 2012 11:24:31 PM

6. Personally, I don't know anyone who ever found this troglodyte funny.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 20, 2012 11:30:02 PM

7. What's an Andrew Dice Clay.

Posted by: dh | Dec 21, 2012 12:38:50 AM

8. Some fags ARE hilarious. Andrew Dice Clay however, is definitely NOT.

Posted by: Mintylaramie | Dec 21, 2012 12:52:09 AM

9. I'm so sick of straight people telling me what I find offensive, or what I'm allowed to find offensive, and then trying to justify it by appealing to invisible "gay friends."

Posted by: esperando | Dec 21, 2012 9:25:25 AM

10. Andrew Dice Clay is still alive? Son of a gun. Who knew? Or cared?

Posted by: jomicur | Dec 21, 2012 11:06:40 AM

11. the good news, even the nation's stupidest fratboys haven't heard of him.

yes, the Dice is not even known to anybody under the age of 25.

so say "fag" all you f***ing like. i'm sure it'll get a real rise out of the undesirables who are still following you, and are in desperate need to something to laugh about.

blech.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 21, 2012 11:35:25 AM

12. Anyone who is complaining about the use of the word "fag" by a God of comedy is a fag. Not one person on here who said he is a has-been loser has had 1% of the success Dice has had in life. Also, if you don't like being called fags stop acting like fags, Mr. Lispy!!!

Posted by: Dice | Jun 30, 2013 9:58:00 PM

13. The thought of sight of two male fags having sex is like witnessing a murder. It's shocking and horrific and not truly comprehensible. It's disgusting.

Posted by: joey shabazz | Dec 23, 2013 10:07:45 AM