Arizona | Jan Brewer | News

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer is Gone and No One Knows Where

A mysterious trip out of state, according to the Associated Press, has caused Arizona Governor Jan Brewer to shirk her duties to certify election ballots, and nobody knows where she is:

BrewerBrewer spokesman Matthew Benson said in a brief email to The Associated Press that Brewer was unavailable to participate in the general election canvass Monday morning because she was out of the state on official business.

"That is all I can disclose at this time," Benson added.

He later reiterated that during a brief phone interview during which he said he could not respond to several questions about Brewer's whereabouts.

Under the Arizona Constitution, Secretary of State Ken Bennett is the acting governor because Brewer is absent from the state. Bennett said his office late Friday received the customary notification of Brewer's absence. Bennett spokesman Matt Roberts said the notification sent by a Brewer scheduling aide said the governor would be gone Sunday morning to Saturday afternoon. Roberts said Bennett and his staff did not receive any additional information about Brewer's whereabouts.

Comments

1. Brewer is probably visiting her Jalisco lover south of the border.

Posted by: Gast | Dec 4, 2012 10:41:36 AM

2. Definitely elective surgery or rehab. Probably both.

Posted by: stranded | Dec 4, 2012 10:41:36 AM

3. Must be time for her annual spackling...

Posted by: gerry | Dec 4, 2012 10:42:19 AM

4. She discovered her lost Mexican heritage and "self deported"

Posted by: Greg | Dec 4, 2012 10:43:03 AM

5. She was "gone" a long time before this.

Posted by: keating | Dec 4, 2012 10:43:11 AM

6. I like how I'm the not the only person who immediately thought of a certain South Carolinan who was "hiking the Appalachian Trail"

Posted by: Aepol1 | Dec 4, 2012 10:47:50 AM

7. So many first rate suggestions here, I'm ashamed to tender my lame little contribution - so I won't. It involved kidnapping & a Mexican drug cartel. I know, I know...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Dec 4, 2012 10:48:06 AM

8. So many first rate suggestions here, I'm ashamed to tender my lame little contribution - so I won't. It involved kidnapping & a Mexican drug cartel. I know, I know...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Dec 4, 2012 10:48:07 AM

9. I think she's pulling a Romney. The context for the previous TR post about her was her inane response to the question of global warming. She then proceeded to a Western Governor Conference which she hosted and was keynote speaker of. She spoke on Energy Policy (!) for only three minutes (!) because the only two other people (out of 19) who showed up were the chair and vice-chair. (Maddow blog)

I guess that in her humiliation, the morning after she decided to take a week off.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 4, 2012 10:53:25 AM

10. Well I don't wish her ill or harm as I don't want that kind of bad karma on my conscious, but can we just lock the doors now so she can't get back in?

;-)

Posted by: jakeinlove | Dec 4, 2012 11:11:02 AM

11. I'm prescient, by God! I writing a novel wherein the governor of Arizona disappears!
    Of course, my governor is a man, and he dies, but... I foresaw! I foresaw!

Posted by: John Conolley | Dec 4, 2012 11:20:42 AM

12. Gov. Brewer is missing? I doubt very seriously she's hiking the Appalachian Trail. Could it be she found a women in Argentina?

Posted by: newz4i | Dec 4, 2012 11:21:07 AM

13. Here's one missing persons case we never want solved!

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 4, 2012 11:28:47 AM

14. I hear the Betty Ford Clinic is quite nice this time of year.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 4, 2012 11:32:51 AM

15. Perhaps she's hiking the Appalachian trail, or visiting her mistress in Argentina. But oh - those excuses have already been used by a Republican red state governor!

Posted by: DrMikey | Dec 4, 2012 11:37:58 AM

16. I think she likes to vacation in South Plastica Surgeria off the coast of Rhinoplastia.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 4, 2012 11:42:56 AM

17. She's visiting her home planet!

Posted by: BETTY | Dec 4, 2012 11:48:44 AM

18. Okay, I think the hyperbole here has gotten a bit out of hand. The AZ officials did not say that they didn't know where Jan Brewer is. They said that they could not disclose any more information. That means "This is personal and private and none of anyone's business," It sounds as though Brewer or her office followed all proper procedure and that business in AZ is going forward as usual. Even state governors are allowed privacy, as long as they aren't violating the law or lying about their activities.

Posted by: Jere | Dec 4, 2012 11:53:53 AM

19. she has an alcohol problem. she's either in rehab or she's getting another face lift.

Posted by: D | Dec 4, 2012 11:57:12 AM

20. With any luck she's in an inpatient psych ward somewhere!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Dec 4, 2012 12:05:52 PM

21. I thought you guys roasted her and ate her for Thanksgiving .

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 4, 2012 12:14:11 PM

22. The 'acting' head of state can't find the 'head' ...did anyone look up her ass?

Posted by: JJ | Dec 4, 2012 12:15:22 PM

23. "They tried to make her go to rehab,
    Jan said, "No, no, no!" ....

Posted by: Jack Daniels | Dec 4, 2012 12:47:02 PM

24. @Hank

ding-ding-ding-ding...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Dec 4, 2012 12:49:22 PM

25. Clearly she's planning Arizona's secession and on a tour of her friends - Hitler (she's read online that he's in Argentina), Pol Pot, Stalin (sure, a commie, "but the way he mastered his people"...) and The Vatican, etc. -- to see if they could give them a soft landing befitting the way today's (GOP) Arizonans think.

Posted by: William | Dec 4, 2012 12:51:24 PM