Bullying | News | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

'Amazing Race' Teams Send Message to Bullied Gay Teen Named Colin: 'You're Amazing'

2_beekman

Amazing Race winners The Beekman Boys says they've received more than 8,000 letters of congratulations from various fans. One of them happened to be from a woman who says her son Colin is gay and bullied:

“I’m sure you guys are way too busy to read this, but I want you to know how inspirational you two are to my 12 year old son. He is gay and is dealing with bullying and harassment in middle school. It’s so hard to see him going through this, and sometimes the “It Gets Better” message is lost on a 12 year old who feels that middle school will never end…We cheered you on every Sunday night and agonized every time you had difficulties. My son was so incredibly thrilled when you two won last night (as was I!). Thank you for helping him see that not only DOES it get better, it gets AMAZING.”

In response, Brent and Josh asked each of the teams on this year's show to send a message of support to Colin, and all of them did so.

Check a few more of them out, on their website.

And, unrelated, but just for fun, I've posted The Fabulous Beekman Boys blooper reel from their show, which they recently posted to YouTube. Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Chippendales

Comments

1. Damn, for some reason this hit me hard this morning.

Wonderful outreach.

Posted by: JNJ | Dec 14, 2012 8:26:28 AM

2. Thank you , Beekman Boys! This just made my whole day!

Posted by: Esteban | Dec 14, 2012 8:40:45 AM

3. It's so great when people realize that they can make an impact on others' lives, and then go ahead and do it. These guys are terrific.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 14, 2012 9:35:41 AM

4. This is very very cool. So are the comments to this post on their website. It really should do wonders to boost Colin's spirits and confidence. This is something he can look back on for a long time. Really great from the Beekman Boys and the other teams to do this.

Colin's mother seems amazing too, but I hope she's doing something proactive about the bullying her son is facing.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 14, 2012 10:27:46 AM

5. Colin, get counseling.

Posted by: anon | Dec 14, 2012 11:02:22 AM

6. It's just not even possible to be more impressed than I am with the Beekman Boys. They ARE fabulous and it seems like everything they do makes them more so. I am not going to stop gushing until I'm sure everyone I know and every reader of Towleroad has seen at least one of their TV series and the last Amazing Race show this season which showed them win. And now there's this personal encouragement to a young boy. They make me happy.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 14, 2012 11:08:35 AM

7. My husband and I were total fans of the two-season Beekman series and very disappointed when it ended. Greg and I fantasized about giving up our own careers and buying a couple of acres up in the rolling hills of Sonoma to raise Alpacas to sell their wool. It is still a great but unrealized dream. So for these two guys, both of whom met on the internet and dated "online" for six months before actually meeting, falling in love, giving up their careers as a physician (Brent) and fabulous drag queen (Josh) to buy a rambling goat farm AND crazy enough to use all of that for the basis of a reality show is amazing.

Not only that but we are devoted to TAR (The Amazing Race) and let our son stay up every Sunday to watch the escapades. It is great family viewing. When it was announced the Beekmans would be on we couldn't have been happier but the angst every week when they came no where near the top finishers and were nearly tossed out twice had it not been for the hippies losing their passports. When they came running into the building holding the 1 million dollar finish line all three of us were jumping and laughing and so very happy for them! And to see them throw down one big passionate kiss really made it a night of great viewing.

Best wishes to them and all they can do in the future. We hope for a return of the "The Fabulous Beekman Boys" reality show. Write Ellen and demand she put them on her show!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 14, 2012 12:23:29 PM

8. So happy they won. They're so adorable.

Posted by: daws | Dec 14, 2012 6:14:38 PM

9. Sounds like Colin is so lucky and already has so much support with his smart and caring mother.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 15, 2012 12:36:08 AM