Bill Cunningham | Fashion Men | New York | News

NYT 'Man on the Street' Bill Cunningham Hails Men's Fashion, Says Bike Messengers Leading the Trend: VIDEO

Cunningham2

Says Cunningham:

"There's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that the sensation at this moment in fashion is on young men's clothes. They are breaking down barriers. You can't imagine what's going on. Not since the hippies and the flower kids tore everything to part there is emerging totally new silhouettes oddly enought he vague outlines seen both in Paris and in New York are based on the 17th Century court dress of men where they didn't wear knickers, they wore open bottom shorts with leggings!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Cunningham

Comments

1. You've got to be kidding.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 11, 2012 9:07:12 AM

2. Really. Bike messengers? I guess that we can forget about those complicated new-fangled fax machines. Who in the world knows how to dial a phone number? And what is this thing email that I hear so much about?

I've read stupid fashion articles for years, but this is absurd.

Posted by: Erik | Dec 11, 2012 9:14:46 AM

3. So not new. We wore boxer shorts over leggings in the late 80's in high school.

Posted by: Bob | Dec 11, 2012 9:15:56 AM

4. Actually, most of those guys are wearing stuff that looks an awful lot like clothes I saw often in the early 80s.

Posted by: ElderGay | Dec 11, 2012 9:19:46 AM

5. That quote was completely unreadable.

Posted by: Rich F. | Dec 11, 2012 9:20:37 AM

6. Next he's gonna say that bottled water is the new accessory.

Posted by: Oliver | Dec 11, 2012 9:31:01 AM

7. I think we need a copy editor/proofreader for this 'article', ASAP!

Posted by: MikeKV | Dec 11, 2012 9:33:57 AM

8. Meggings, really? This is not a new trend or original at all. For the last reincarnation try Tisci's 2009 men's line for Givenchy. Operative word here being "trend."

Posted by: MikeSin | Dec 11, 2012 9:38:36 AM

9. Cue "Do You Want to Hurt Me." Answer, YES...
    It looks like a retread of Boy George's 80s drag, without the hat and better haircuts.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Dec 11, 2012 9:39:49 AM

10. Glad I'm over 50 and don't have to buy into whatever the fashion of the minute is.

Sorry, but this looks silly, like something you'd wear around the house on a Saturday morning, but def. not in public.

FYI, Erik: Bike messengers often transport original documents that need signed, comps for ads that cannot translate over fax or email PDF, fabric swatches, samples of products, etc... all kinds of things that cannot be, ahem, faxed.

And, besides, fax? Didn't that die in the early 90s anyway? Who the hell still uses a fax machine??? I got rid of mine in 95.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 11, 2012 9:40:30 AM

11. Bill Cunningham is my favorite person in the world. Man on Street is a deeeeeeelightful documentary about him. His coverage is infused with a deep and abiding love of clothes. Which is just to say, Man, you commenters are mean.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 11, 2012 9:48:03 AM

12. Jack M: kidding about what? Bill Cunninham is right. I see these looks all the time in NYC.

Posted by: alex | Dec 11, 2012 9:52:06 AM

13. Ha ha...I was a courier for 2 years. Couriers are mostly:

Guys and chicks in bands

MANY have substance abuse problems, and not just alcohol. HARD drug use was not uncommon when I was a courier.

Contrary to many people's belief, most of the guys aren't gay, most of the ones I worked with where uber heterosexual.

Couriers usually dress in layers because of the weather, at least in the cool and cold months in the north. And anyone who is familiar with being around messengers in the summer knows they all stink to high heaven. Many buildings forced us to use freight elevators because secretaries and others complained we smell bad. And dressing 'funky' as simply become part of the uniform so to speak.

This is a silly article. There's nothing particularly fresh about this 'look', and anyway 99% of guys can't or wouldn't want to dress like this on a regular basis, including gay men. Fashion insiders are obsessed with extremes and funky looks. It's all about $.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 11, 2012 10:14:19 AM

14. I have a fax machine.

Posted by: anon | Dec 11, 2012 10:30:35 AM

15. This reads more like an Onion article than a NYT article. What's next, homeless chic? Sweatpants couture? And on another note, this is probably the first and last time 17th century French court dress and bike messengers are going to be mentioned in the same article.

And yes, unfortunately we still use fax machines in my office despite the perfectly viable PDF alternative. Some people just can't let go...

Posted by: KT | Dec 11, 2012 10:47:08 AM

16. This reads more like an Onion article than a NYT article. What's next, homeless chic? Sweatpants couture? And on another note, this is probably the first and last time 17th century French court dress and bike messengers are going to be mentioned in the same article.

Posted by: KT | Dec 11, 2012 10:47:09 AM

17. More and more I feel as though I've somehow found my way to World Nut Daily when I read the comments on this site. Most who've opined here are uninformed malcontents, with a touch of angry-old-queen-who-knew-nothing-about-fashion even when you were younger. Bill Cunningham is one of the most iconic fashion journalists in the world. New York, Paris and the other great cities of the world wouldn't be the amazing places that they are were it not for people, young and old, who aren't afraid to express themselves through fashion.

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 11, 2012 11:22:58 AM

18. Yeah, watch the Cunningham documentary people before you comment.

Posted by: Vince Smetana | Dec 11, 2012 11:27:47 AM

19. Bill Cunningham I enjoy your opinion on fashion and have watched your snap shots for past several years. BUT get yourself out of the bubbles that are cities. All because 2 people do something doesn't mean it's happening everywhere. Paris, London, NYC, they are island within a greater ocean.... Ugh those guys were wearing rags.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 11, 2012 11:36:20 AM

20. These fashions are new to the U.S. but not the rest of the world. Harem pants were, and still is, a staple in some womens' closets. Now variations of the pants have been popping up across Asia (Japan, Hong Kong, S. Korea) for men. With or without leggings, tapering the lower leg, etc. Just take a flip through a Japanese men's fashion magazine or blog; the styling of clothing is same and has been for years now.

Posted by: Ramsey | Dec 11, 2012 12:02:42 PM

21. @Ramsey,

Many Asian men are extremely metroexual vs North American and even European men. Obsession [I mean SERIOUS, HARDCORE obsession] with fashion and materialism [*bling*] is a HUGE part of Asian cultures. It puts Americans fabled 'materialism' to shame.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 11, 2012 12:38:56 PM

22. Erik, Yes Bike messengers. Not everything in the world can be sent by an e-mail attachment or done on a telephone call. You might actually have the most clueless comment of the day, I say as I wait for contracts to be delivered by bike messenger from the lawyer's office.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 11, 2012 12:42:25 PM

23. Lawyers insist on paper copies because...well...they are lawyers. The rest of the world has moved on.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Dec 11, 2012 1:04:06 PM

24. Bill wakes from nap and thinks he discovered a new fashion trend.

Posted by: John | Dec 11, 2012 1:04:58 PM

25. OK, Chris, sorry to offend your sensibilities. Try going to DC or SF and finding many bike messengers. You can ship cross-country by from 9 am to 4 pm for about $100. Door to door. I do it plenty.

But I guess that I'm happily clueless. Yes, I understand that legal documents can have different requirements, but are you claiming that there are even half as many messengers as in the past?

Posted by: Erik | Dec 11, 2012 1:09:20 PM