Kate Middleton | News | Prince William | Radio

'Shattered' Australian DJs Break Silence Over Deadly Kate Middleton Prank Call: VIDEO

Prank

Last week I posted about the prank call made by two Australian radio DJs to Kate Middleton at the hospital where she was staying while enduring morning sickness. Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who connected the DJs to another nurse who released private information after being duped into thinking she was speaking with Prince Charles and The Queen, subsequently committed suicide.

The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian took themselves off the air last week, and gave their first interview about the tragedy to Australia's Current Affair.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hope this makes people think about the consequences of pranks.

HOWEVER...

I find it VERY difficult to believe that this woman killed herself over this prank. It MIGHT have been the final straw in her life, but anyone who kills themself has almost certainly had that plan in the works for some time and was suffering mentally for some time.

These radio jocks were not responsible for her death. They were just the last straw in a most likely very disturbed woman's life.

Posted by: Michael Demmons | Dec 10, 2012 11:33:56 AM

2. This doesn't make any sense to me. Has her family said that falling for the prank was devastating to her? The hospital claims she wasn't punished for it.

As Michael says above, there had to be other things going on in her life that made her commit suicide. As momentarily embarrassing as this might have been to her, in a month no one will remember or care about it.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 10, 2012 11:43:14 AM

3. @ MICHAEL DEMMONS: I agree. They shouldn't be blamed for this. Suicide never occurs in a bubble. It's never as simple as this. She had a prank played on her, therefore, she killed herself is not the way it goes. Something else was going on. Just like all the bullied little kids that Towleroad harps on. There are extenuating circumstances and un-diagnosed mental illness involved. It's not: I was bullied, therefore I must kill myself.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 10, 2012 11:44:49 AM

4. After watching this, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. There's no doubt they are remorseful and they didn't cause the woman's suicide. However, this should be a warning to all "shock jocks" who routinely make fun of others for morning drive time fun. Gays have been the victims of these pranks for years. Morning radio is just brutal, juvenile and insipid, and the jocks are so desperate for material every day that they resort of making bad jokes on others. When he said, "This is no different from anything else," he's sadly right - morning radio material is all garbage.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 10, 2012 11:59:27 AM

5. Obviously they've been well coached by lawyers as just how much to admit to. I find it hard to believe that they had absolutely no idea what happens to content once they've produced it.
    Some people don't take into account just how fragile some people are, or how people from different cultures may take humiliation; it doesn't matter as long as they've got their laugh in.

Posted by: James Twist | Dec 10, 2012 12:00:51 PM

6. What was wrong was that these two called a hospital trying to obtain information from a patient. That makes it more serious. Something like that just isn't done; it's a gross invasion of privacy. And who's to say the nurse didn't kill herself due to the high standards she held herself up to? Nobody can see inside someone else's heart.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 10, 2012 12:02:31 PM

7. they should be charged for manslaughter

Posted by: Tom | Dec 10, 2012 12:11:14 PM

8. Do we know if she committed suicide directly as a result of this prank? I'm just curious, I haven't seen any other information about what led to her killing herself... was she mentally ill? Did she have financial or family problems?

It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of someone committing suicide for a prank that - while embarrassing - was just a stupid prank.

Posted by: Lucas H | Dec 10, 2012 12:20:28 PM

9. Wildest theory I've heard floated: The royal family actually had the nurse killed as a warning to the world not to mess with Kate. That's something right out of a spy-movie thriller. The real world is never quite as full of intrigue as a spy movie, but still kind of a wild idea.

Posted by: ATLJason | Dec 10, 2012 12:20:59 PM

10. Wildest theory I've heard floated: The royal family actually had the nurse killed as a warning to the world not to mess with Kate. That's something right out of a spy-movie thriller. The real world is never quite as full of intrigue as a spy movie, but still kind of a wild idea.

Posted by: ATLJason | Dec 10, 2012 12:21:00 PM

11. @TOM you are an idiot.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 10, 2012 12:23:15 PM

12. My sympathy and empathy goes out to the women's family and friends. Really, this poor lady obviously had serious mental health issues. NO SANE ADULT would kill themselves over this kind of BS.

And if this poor woman was so distraught over 'hurting' the so-called 'Duchess of Cambridge', than the brainwashing and negative influence of a society that believes some human beings are their superiors by virtue of birthright is even worse than I thought.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 10, 2012 12:23:51 PM

13. Until an inquest has been held it's impossible to know the full circumstances surrounding the nurse's suicide.

I've read plenty of reports that have played down the prank and it's seriousness. But it must have been very hard for a quiet, hard-working nurse, who just came in to do her job and go home, to suddenly find herself at the centre of a global viral firestorm. And to feel the pressure of tens of millions of people who heard that recording, and to believe they were all laughing at your foolishness at being so obviously duped.

Imagine the humiliation of saying something slightly stupid or naive in school classroom and the burning embarrassment as everyone laughs at you - multiplied millions of times.

And all to bump ratings of a tacky commercial radio station.

Posted by: Steve F | Dec 10, 2012 12:24:03 PM

14. Were the two radio people wholly responsible for her death? No. Did they contribute to it? Quite possibly. We'll never know. And I just don't buy their crying act, blondie is crying because of how this is affecting her life, not because someone is dead.

Posted by: Donald | Dec 10, 2012 12:25:15 PM

15. It's a terrible situation and I don't blame them. I mean, who knew you could call the hospital and pretend to be THE QUEEN and they'd go "oh sure, here's Kate's room!"

I mean c'mon.

Posted by: JR | Dec 10, 2012 12:32:19 PM

16. Crocodile tears--no sympathy here. Bullies claiming victimhood. The defenses of prank calls that (a) "everybody does it" and (b) the completed recording was approved by editors are especially grating. And kudos to the wonderful interviewer. She's the anti-Piers Morgan. Can you imagine an interviewer stateside that simply asks questions as intelligently as this interviewer does, without constantly interrupting and calling attention to herself? Gotta love the way she just says, "Really?" when the interview subjects say something particularly absurd.

Posted by: SC David | Dec 10, 2012 12:33:42 PM

17. I do not believe they should be charged with anything relating to the poor nurse's suicide. They may, however, be subject to invasion of privacy charges that has nothing to do with the nurse's death. I suspect that simply attempting to get that information fraudulently, whether or not it was successful, is illegal. The fact that they were in Australia at the time makes the case more complicated.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Dec 10, 2012 12:37:12 PM

18. The interviewer asked them, when you realized that the call had gone through and you knew you were going to get detailed private medical information, did you think about putting an end to the prank? and they answered no one could have foreseen the tragic events. Not an answer to the question. Why didn't you stop the prank when it was clear that you were invading someone's privacy under false pretenses? They try to say, someone else decides whether or not to put it on the air, bullsh*t. Why didn't you stop when you KNEW it had gone too far.

Posted by: Mb | Dec 10, 2012 12:40:28 PM

19. @Michael. Your ignorance on the topic of suicide speaks volumes. Might I suggest that if you don't have good understanding of suicide or it's causes or contributing factors that you hush.

Posted by: Anita Pill | Dec 10, 2012 12:55:40 PM

20. @Michael. Your ignorance on the topic of suicide speaks volumes. Might I suggest that if you don't have good understanding of suicide or it's causes or contributing factors that you hush.

Posted by: Anita Pill | Dec 10, 2012 12:55:44 PM

21. @Michael. Your ignorance on the topic of suicide speaks volumes. Might I suggest that if you don't have good understanding of suicide or it's causes or contributing factors that you hush.

Posted by: Anita Pill | Dec 10, 2012 12:55:46 PM

22. This, to me, this illustrates the problem with the whole "Morning Zoo" format of AM radio. It's always been, to me, rude and juvenile. Can't stand it. Only inevitable that such things escalate beyond control - or what anyone "wishes". Agree with SC DAVID. And JR - exactly - so why even try?

Posted by: Patois | Dec 10, 2012 12:57:56 PM

23. It's all fun and games until...

Posted by: Latebrosus | Dec 10, 2012 1:00:10 PM

24. I hate these prank call shows.Down here they think it was great fun.

One radio show got a young girl to admit she'd been raped on live radio. I'm sure you guys remember the parody of the jacksons but a black aboriginal version after MJ died

Posted by: Meep | Dec 10, 2012 1:19:33 PM

25. The station has cancelled their show now. Good riddance.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 10, 2012 1:21:01 PM