American Idol | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Fantasia: Instagram Gay Nups Jibe 'Taken Far Out Of Context'

BarrinoFantasia Barrino's PR team claims the singer's comment about marriage equality being an example of a world gone mad were "taken far out of context":

Comments made by Ms. Barrino through her Intragram account were recently taken far out of context, and the purpose of this release is to set the record straight. Ms. Barrino is not now, nor has she ever been an opponent of the LGBT community. She has supported and performed at numerous events that are sponsored by the LGBT community.

Whether it’s through a live performance or placement on social media, Ms. Barrino uses every opportunity to reach out and connect with her fans, all of her fans.

Supporting an abstract community and supporting specific equal rights are not necessarily the same thing, mind you.

Comments

1. Why does Fantasia need a PR team to make this (weak-ass) statement?

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 31, 2012 3:20:50 PM

2. Her words were pretty clear to me. You can't be "for" the LGBT community and oppose their rights. If she wanted to really mend fences she'd make her own sincere apology instead of having her PR flunkies try to do spin control.

Posted by: Brad | Dec 31, 2012 3:20:52 PM

3. That Fantasia woman needs a man. Honey, it ani't our fault!

Posted by: G | Dec 31, 2012 3:21:36 PM

4. Who cares what she thinks? Who is she anyway?

Posted by: Donald | Dec 31, 2012 3:26:09 PM

5. Never a fan of this bulldog-faced ho, yet I did get a few dance mixes of her songs passed to me years ago which I've promptly deleted from my itunes, as well as on every mix they were on years ago. What does the Bible say about having premarital sex with many, many men and having a child out of wedlock, Fantasia? Stone the b8tch.

Posted by: William | Dec 31, 2012 3:29:55 PM

6. Uh huh. So basically she has gay friends but she's against same-sex marriage because the Bible says so. She doesn't hate gay people because her God has that covered for her...or something. Apparently she skimmed over the part where having a kid out wedlock is a no-go. Can't bother with anything that touches close to home.

Posted by: daws | Dec 31, 2012 3:35:36 PM

7. I know nothing about this freak's yodeling skills, but I most certainly will judge those awful tights. The slutty display of her fat ass is abomination.

Posted by: ozu | Dec 31, 2012 3:37:18 PM

8. She said that equal rights for gay people
    were an example of a world gone mad. No context needed. It's pretty obvious for everyone that she's just another nasty little homophobe. Take a look at this twitter screen cap:

Nuff said. BOYCOTT HER !!!

Posted by: Peter M. | Dec 31, 2012 3:40:22 PM

9. I pretty much agree that her comments were distorted. I don't know that I've ever heard her music (not a fan of American Idol or her musical genre), so I'm not doing the fanboy defense thing, but I just don't see any animus in her comments. Maybe there's a shade of interpretation that she thinks smoking weed and gay marriage *should* be harder for society to accept than her own issues, but she's clearly not saying that these things are bad. She's mostly frustrated about being judged herself, which is surely something we all can empathize with. She does seem to think the Bible is anti-gay and anti-drugs, but this is hardly a revelation, and she seems to be rejecting a biblical basis for morality more than using it as one.

One thing is for sure: she should learn to express herself more clearly.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 31, 2012 3:42:07 PM

10. Girl, those pleather chairs on that Barbie-sized porch are straight up World Market. Bless her heart, some people don't need to do their own instagram/twitter/FB.

Posted by: MB | Dec 31, 2012 3:47:33 PM

11. I'm with Chris. Fantasia's had opportunities to show support for her gay fans (and friends) in the past and she's always done so; her communication here was probably just sloppy. Her point: "why are you judging me, when the world around us has left a biblical worldview a long time ago?" This girl grew UP in the church; she knows all too well what kind of hypocrisy is out there. Just a few years ago, Fantasia was an illiterate single mother struggling to pay the bills. She's pretty humble about it all and has shared her life story in a transparent way. I don't think we should be on the attack now.

Posted by: GMB | Dec 31, 2012 3:47:41 PM

12. That Bossip article screencap is clearly a fake.

Regardless, it's not like I have had to remove something from my iTunes that wasn't there in the first place.

Posted by: Mikey | Dec 31, 2012 3:50:28 PM

13. Really? That tweet makes sense in any way to anyone? I read it three times and I'm not convinced it means anything coherent, one way or the other.

Posted by: shane | Dec 31, 2012 4:02:33 PM

14. Good luck getting another role on Broadway.

Posted by: niles | Dec 31, 2012 4:10:40 PM

15. Yeah.. I don't know how to interpret this. When I first read it I was surprised, then annoyed, then confused because the gays make up a large majority of her fans. Jokes about how many fans she has not necessary. Then I reread it a couple times. She could absolutely be saying that she doesn't agree with equal rights, and if that's the case then screw her. Or she could be saying she feels judged when society is becoming less judgmental around her. She does smoke weed, so she would arguably be someone that would want it to be legalized, and that came right before the gay marriage statement. I don't know. I think she just needs to articulate better and the point she was trying to make ended up sounding like the opposite of what she meant.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 31, 2012 4:11:57 PM

16. @GMB--Thank you for your comment. I didn't read her comments initially from that perspective, and that could make sense how she felt taken out of context.

@ G, William, et al--Come on boys. I know I'm preaching to the internet reply string here, but really...you're not doing the gay community any credit by trolling ignorance with ignorance. The answer to homophobia shouldn't be misogyny or insults. There should be enough to say without resorting to middle school strategies.

Posted by: C | Dec 31, 2012 4:22:11 PM

17. "I was against gay rights before I was for them.".......WTF ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 31, 2012 4:33:49 PM

18. Agree that her comment could possibly be read a couple of different ways since it's basically incoherent. But the publicist's defense is the weakest I've ever seen. They can't even say she supports gay rights, the best they can come up with is she's not an opponent. I'm sure the publicist would have preferred something much stronger, so I have to assume Fantasia was responsible for this weak reply. In my book that puts a definite anti gay spin to the original post.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 31, 2012 4:37:28 PM

19. Fantasia has a PR team? LOL- talk about proof the worlds gone cra-cra! Ive always thought of her more as Ambrosia, not Fantasia.

Posted by: Chicklets | Dec 31, 2012 4:42:13 PM

20. Lets be honest, she only learned to read a few years ago so lets not expect her to be eloquent on instagram. It seems to me she just meant if society is progressive enough to accept gay marriage why isn't it progressive enough to accept her having a child with a married man. It's a false equivalency...but she is a soul singer not a rocket scientist.

And I think all of you should consider actually listening to her music before writing her off as a talentless product of the American Idol machine. I don't care for R&B, but her last album was surprisingly great.

Posted by: Thomas | Dec 31, 2012 5:00:58 PM

21. Fantasia Burrino allegedly made some comments that were perceived to be anti-gay. The gay media is already jumping down her throat. However, where is the same gay media on Rihanna? Rihanna has a known history of being on friendly terms with some extremely homophobic dancehall musicians from the Caribbean whom she has supported with joint public appearances.

Is the gay media too chicken to go after Rihanna because she's too big a "star"? What happened to the fearless gay media?

Posted by: steven lucas | Dec 31, 2012 5:07:03 PM

22. Honestly, she's stupid enough where I can buy the misrepresentation. I never have nor will buy her albums at this point, though. But her instagram has another message where she states she loves the gay community and how we are her largest supporter.

But thinking about it..........why delete the message if it wasn't meant to offend? Why not stand behind what you said? And then you add that tweet. I think it's too much evidence pointing against her.

Oh well. No sweat off my back. Boycott whatever is left of her career.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 31, 2012 5:25:11 PM

23. Wake up gays ! She's just another liar on a very long list of straight people who SAY they support us so we make them rich but don't actually DO anything for us.

Cher, Kathy Griffin, Joan Rivers, Lady GaGa - the list is endless. We put all of our money into making them rich. We should have used our money more wisely. This is the US - you have to BUY your human rights by giving money to politicians to change laws in our favor. We need to put less money into liar like these and more money into BUYING our human rights.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 31, 2012 5:43:27 PM

24. C: F u. no misogyny at all. she has the face of a bulldog. fact. She has had premarital sex since she was 12 and at least two babies out of wedlock. When she was 14 she claimed she was raped perhaps true, but that doesn;t explain the non-biblical sex she had before or after. She also said he had sex with guys so they'd take care of her (= ho). Again, C: F-OFF. I'll insult anyone I want when they try to curb my rights.That includes you and your babble.

Posted by: William | Dec 31, 2012 6:02:20 PM

25. So as long as we give her our money, she's on our side?

Posted by: Shawn | Dec 31, 2012 6:11:49 PM