Comic Books | News | Northstar

BigGayDeal.com

Flashback: 'Gay Comix' Clobbered The Closet In 1980

GayComix01 Gaycomix13

Marvel Comics writer John Byrne has previously said he always planned to make superhero Northstar, introduced in 1979, gay, but that corporate and cultural forces kept him in the closet until 1992.

Up to that point, Northstar's sexuality had only be hinted at, often in a denigrating manner, like when his twin sister implicitly sneered at Northstar's ambiguous relationship with an older male mentor: "You - of all people - dare to judge my love life."

It would be another twenty years before Northstar, sometimes neglected by writers for years on end, finally found happiness and married his husband in a high-profile affair attended by a who's who of Marvel superheroes. (DOMA is threatening to derail that happiness.)

Howard Cruse, Bob Ross and the other LGBT comic creators behind Gay Comix didn't have to chart such a slow course. They hit the ground running in 1980, the year Gay Comix #1 hit the underground newsstands. Of course, Gay Comix never had nervous publishers or media-driven boycotts to worry about. Nor were they dealing with super-powered heroes for children. Gay Comix was made by adults for adults to explore the waters of a changing and often sexually-charged America that, from today's perspective, looks in many ways like a distant memory.

Finding back issues of Gay Comix is a task for serious collectors, but some issues have been collected in anthologies like Robert Triptow's Gay Comics and individual editions can be found online if you look hard enough and there may even be copies at your local library. But anyway you can find Gay Comix, you should, because they're a unique look at 20th century gay life that deserve as much recognition as other heroic gay comic characters.

(Click on the images above to get a closer look...)

Comments

1. I used to have Gay Comix #1 thru #20, but sold them during a period of financial hardship. Even then I remember getting a decent price for them, but wish I'd at least had the foresight to scan the blasted things before I got rid of them...

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Dec 29, 2012 3:40:19 PM

2. Slight correction: It's "Howard Cruse" not "Howard Cruce"

He's still around (http://www.howardcruse.com/) and is the creator of the award-winning graphic novel Stuck Rubber Baby from a few years back, among many other feathers in his cap.

Posted by: jzip | Dec 29, 2012 3:57:37 PM

3. I have issue number one, in good condition if someone is intereted (my email is ledanz at gmail).

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 29, 2012 4:21:41 PM

4. The Gay Comix series was wonderful, lasting 25 (mostly-great) issues.

However, historically, there were several other 'underground' gay-themed comics that were predecessors by several years. (Gay Hearthrobs, among them)...

Humorously, there was a 'girls' comic called Gay Comics in the 50s which was not gay-themed at all---but the comics are hard to find due to their outdated title.

Posted by: TonyJazz | Dec 29, 2012 6:50:36 PM

5. I think I still have my copy of Northstar in my storage, which is a first issue copy, if I remember right.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 29, 2012 9:11:17 PM

6. You're not remembering right, Tim. Northstar comics are unremarkable (I believe it's a 4 issue limited series) and worth virtually nothing.

The issue in which Northstar comes out is Alpha Flight #106. Most pricing guides value it at $3 but they list for up to $30 on eBay.

Posted by: ripper | Dec 30, 2012 8:52:42 AM

7. You might find this helpful for historical context: http://www.gayleague.com/wordpress/lgbt-comics-timeline/

Posted by: GLA | Dec 30, 2012 9:36:40 AM

8. I also have #1 which I've cherished forever. I also have The Dan White Coloring Book. Mr. Cruse did a comic years ago that I wish I had purchased then, Incest Comics, which I've never been able to find since.

It's time to start getting rid of "things" so if there are any takers......

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 30, 2012 1:11:31 PM

9. I have these in storage somewhere! Will have to go dig them up now!

Posted by: Joosy | Dec 31, 2012 1:16:17 PM