Gay Intern Who Saved Gabby Giffords Life Publishing Memoir

Daniel Hernandez, the gay intern credited with saving the life of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords after she was shot in the head in Tucson, is publishing a memoir.

HernandezHernandez says he was never comfortable with that spotlight but decided to do the book for a very specific reason:

As time passed, Hernandez – who is now 22, a graduate of the University of Arizona, and a member of the governing board of the Tucson school district where he attended public school – realized that he would be interested in writing a book focusing on his public service. “I am involved in Latino and LGBT issues, and there aren’t a lot of Latinos and LGBTs featured in novels or books,” he says. “It was the fact that these groups don’t have many role models that drove me to even consider writing about myself. As a Latino person and now as a young elected official, I’ve faced some big challenges, and I want young people and adults to know that they need to overcome challenges and become involved (in) their communities.”

Comments

1. JimmyD says

I am NOT downplaying that what he did was anything less than incredible… but is there anything else in his life that is really memoir-worthy?

I mean… everyone’s life is amazingly interesting in it’s own way… but not every life is book worthy. He is a hero. And that’s a chapter right there.

Good luck to him.

2. Wow says

Please. This kid’s life is not “memoir” worthy. I understand there may a dearth of latin role models, but get real. This book is headed for the discount book bin.

3. topher says

Dude, he’s a freaking hero. I bet you two queens would’ve ran the other way for cover. This guy went up to the woman, held her head together, and made sure she didn’t choke on her blood — while all of that shooting was happening! That’s more heroism that most of us will ever accumulate in our lives.
    And it may be called a memoir, BFD. He says there it’s meant to empower and motivate people to get involved.

4. UFFDA says

TOPHER – “I bet you two queens would’ve ran the other way for cover”, that was hilarious, I burst out laughing. Good for you.

5. ripper says

A memoir doesn’t mean it will be a chronological telling of his life from beginning to the present. That’s an autobiography.

In a memoir, the writer focuses on a specific aspect of his life, in this case his public service for LGBT and Latino issues.

6. ty says

I met Daniel last year at an HRC function, he is fearless, bold and articulate, destined for greater things, so yes, his memoir is completely appropriate!