News | Playing Gay | Soap Operas | Television

'General Hospital' Introduces Lipstick-Wielding Gay Male Nurse

Samuel

General Hospital debuted a new character this week, a gay nurse played by actor Marc Anthony Samuel. To establish his character as gay, his first scenes involved him pulling out a tube of lipstick and offering to touch up a heterosexual woman. Oy.

UPDATE: A follow-up to this post.

Comments

1. guys, guys don't get in a tizzy just yet. The character is just a day player with lines. He'll be killed off soon enough. Brought on to get us to view the Nurses Ball episodes.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Dec 8, 2012 12:39:21 PM

2. RICK IS THE BEST. He has voiced the best challenge yet to RON the hack. Put a gay MAN on the tube, as described. We've all seen all the rest ad infinitum and, of course, many effete gay men are authentic beings, not at all intentional creators of a "culture of effeminacy" (great phrase). This is where I very respectfully disagree with RICK. Still, apart from Will of Will and Grace, we have far too rarely ever seen a regular guy, not to say an all but absurdly masculine one (truck driver, sports hero etc.) take his place in the cultural eye. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

In the meantime congratulations to RICK for his continuing energetic, articulate and, yes, manly defense of the gay male majority who are frankly too put off by the hysteria of the whiner queens and their defenders to bother with this website.

It is, of course, encouraging to find in fact, quite a few posters here who are much less than thrilled with the lipstick man portrayal. Perhaps the Men are taking over after all. I'm sure they will.

And, hey, what a powerful bunch of posts. I love it.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 8, 2012 1:24:15 PM

3. @Rick: No deal. I already have a job. I have neither the time nor the inclination to create a new TV show centered around a hyper-masculine gay man to prove a point to you, or to anyone else. But I'll tell you what I will do. How about YOU write this show, since you seem to feel so strongly about it, and I promise to use my industry connections (such as they are) to get it in front of people who could potentially put it on the air.

Posted by: Ron Carlivati | Dec 8, 2012 1:40:50 PM

4. Ron, you're asking a professional coward to give up his livelihood ;-)

file the comments of Rick/UFFDA et al under "sh*t closet cases say"

they're the type of gay men who will never have the orbs to live Out, and thus are furious at the non-conformists that do.

you'd think for all their boastful machismo that they'd be leading the pack, eh? you know, strong macho manly men who are so in control of their lives that they live transparently.

alas, it aint the case. and it never is.

coming online to pretend that they're masculine, anonymously of course, is the one thing keeping them from offing themselves.

for you, my brother:

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 8, 2012 1:52:59 PM

5. Not good enough RON. Do the work of getting a real man (gay) on paper and then on the tube. Can you even imagine him? That's the question.

I don't really want to be insulting (although I already have been by calling you a hack, sorry, I'm impressed that you are responding herein) but you're the one in the position not RICK. Indeed, prove the point...if you can. Do you know any of the kind of men RICK references? That would be important.

Interestingly, right there in New York State are the Beekman Boys and Farmer John with his partner. They might not be RICK'S complete ideal but the love story they are and embody is mighty powerful. Perhaps it will be the documentary that will ultimately be the best and most balanced representation of all.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 8, 2012 2:04:25 PM

6. As a heterosexual woman, I'd like to chime in (or butt in, as some would say) on this topic. Since gay men come in all types - macho, midway, somewhat effeminate, very feminine - ALL types of gay men should be portrayed on TV and in movies. I doubt that we'll ever reach a point where every gay man in America will be happy with the overall portrayal of gay men. All this shows is that the gay community has its own diversity, as does every other community.

Also, would Ron or anyone else here be able to tell me who WAS responsible for the Luke/Reid/Noah story on As the World Turns? It began me on my transformation from anti-gay to pro-gay, so I really should thank the writers. Nullnaught told me that the writers would love to hear that their work contributed to someone changing his mind on this issue.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 8, 2012 2:05:58 PM

7. So Uffda, the only kind of acceptable gay man is the Beekman Brothers? Only uber masculine bearded hipsters can apply?

EFF THAT NOISE. You and Jeff and Rick can deal with your own stench of internalized homophobia, where only the "good" gays get to be shown on TV. Sorry you think only flannel wearing, bearded Williamsburg type gays have any value in this world.

Ron Carlivati has shown himself quite capable of writing complex, multifaceted characters. I wasn't even a fan of the show but now I'm going to make a point to watched.

Posted by: Sparky | Dec 8, 2012 2:10:02 PM

8. yes. the "i hate femmes" losers wait and wait for Other Gay Men to do the Work that they themselves don't have the balls to do.

*sigh*

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 8, 2012 2:15:22 PM

9. Okay, @UFFDA, this is my final post on this topic. I HAVE done the work. I CAN prove the point. I CAN imagine the type of gay man you describe. Because I HAVE ALREADY WRITTEN HIM. More than once, in fact. I have written masculine gay men, gay cops, gay med students, gay activists, lesbian activists, and now a gay male nurse who, yes, sells makeup to make extra money. If that makes me a hack, then fine, I'm a hack. Now go away and leave me alone. Oh, and watch General Hospital. It's a really good show.

Posted by: Ron Carlivati | Dec 8, 2012 2:18:08 PM

10. use what you learned today, Ron.

write your next gay characters as middle-aged closet cases who anonymously come online to complain about openly-gay people who don't care to cater to the whims of a bigoted society.

it should be thrilling.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 8, 2012 2:26:59 PM

11. @Ron Carlivati:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to confuse you by making 2 separate points. The first point is that you have internalized homophobia and believe anti-gay stereotypes, and this is reflected in your work with "Felix." The second point was about ATWT. Two different points. I know you can handle it.

As for Felix, you are being disingenuous if you claim not to see the stereotyping. For decades, gay men have been "into" women's fashion. According to the stereotype, they are hair dressers and cosmetologists because they are, in a sense, more like women than men. You knew exactly what you were doing when you put a tube of lipstick in this character's hands. You knew exactly what the stereotypes are and you went ahead and did it anyway.

And as I said before, I'm willing to bet that you never - ever - suggested that any straight male character carry around women's makeup and "help a girlfriend out" with a touch-up. It just wouldn't occur to you to to do that because, in your mind, the straight male characters are real men. Felix on the other hand, and in your words, is "sweet." What a tragedy that we have a gay writer whose mind is damaged by 1950s stereotypes, to the point where he has now internalized the lies told about gay people and reproduces them, thinking that this is progress.

You should let your producers know that the writer they are paying to write storylines about a gay character doesn't see gay men as men. They are paying you, so I think they have a right to know about your invidious bias. It would be no different if you were writing about a "sweet" African-American character, while harboring the belief that anti-Black stereotypes are true and using the character to promote them.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 8, 2012 3:09:34 PM

12. Jeff, it's not Rob's fault, nor the fault of the out and proud gay men who don't act they way you'd like them to, that you have no balls whatsoever and are a miserable insecure homosexual.

All your time complaining anonymously online would be better spent doing some self-reflection and getting over the fact that you're still terrified of What Straight People Think.

seriously. you and your fellow trolls on here are complete and utter wimps.

there's nothing "anti-______" about this stereotype/archetype.

at some point you boys are going to need to grow a pair of orbs and stop blaming "those types of gay men" for your cowardly insecurities.

if you're such a man (which, let's be real, you aint) you'd be first in line to show who you are, and what an Example Of Gay Masculinity you claim to be.

care to try it out ,sugarpie? or are you just here to vent your fury that the type of gay men your piece of s**t family taught you to hate live with a bravery and fearlessness that you dont' yet know?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 8, 2012 3:20:40 PM

13. Jeff, it's rich in irony that you are calling Carlivati out on internatlize homophobia when your entire point of view is just that - that only the masculine guys are worth portraying.

Posted by: Sparky | Dec 8, 2012 3:45:35 PM

14. Sparky - those will never have the balls to live openly. that's why they're so angry.

if they believed a word of their unintelligent diatribes they'd be proving URLs to show just who they are, and What Kind of Gay Man they are. you know, leading by example. changing perceptions via standing up to be counted.

there's a reason they don't do this. to use their own language, they're simply not man enough.

if nothing else, it seems they're angry that Carlivati is not writing characters like them : deeply insecure closeted homosexual men whose only outlet for their insecurity is the anonymity of the internet.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 8, 2012 3:59:40 PM

15. Have any of Andy's readers ever been in a hospital? Nurses carry all sorts of random stuff that patients might need. I can imagine a patient being thrilled to have a nurse produce lipstick so she might preserve her dignity for visitors. Congratulations, Ron, for having an imagination, which some of Andy's readers seem to lack.

Posted by: DL | Dec 8, 2012 4:00:54 PM

16. You queens are sickening. I rarely show up here and most of you are why. Especially the defensive twerp KIWI.

Posted by: JEEZE | Dec 8, 2012 4:14:57 PM

17. *elegant curtsy*

if my presence keeps an intellectually-stunted coward like you off the site, then that's bloody beautiful.

until the day one of you cowardly complaining trolls can put a face to your comments you'll only ever prove the rest of us right.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 8, 2012 4:20:55 PM

18. I think we need to have a sense of humor and also recognize that the best gay portrayals on TV are ones that are authentic, not "scrubbed up" Stepford ones designed not to offend anyone. There are all types of gay guys, including ones who are preppy, butch, bears, nerds and ones into lipstick and nail polish. If this portrayal makes some viewers hateful then they were homophobic to begin with. Ron is a leader on authentic gay portrayals and for that we should be grateful.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 8, 2012 4:24:18 PM

19. OMG look at the gay roles, Ron put on GH

Oliver Fish a closeted masculine cop who reunited with his ex love Kyle Lewis who was a med student & con artist turned hero. Kyke dated Nick Chavez a latino art teacher who was confident and an activist. His best friend was Amelia, an activist Lesbian who also happened to be African American.

Ron has written various gay roles at OLTL. Felix is his first at GH. Not all gay men are masc. Some are fem. Just like Emmett on QAF and I loved him.

Also to answer the ATWT question, Jean Passante was HW of ATWT during Luke & Noah

Posted by: John | Dec 8, 2012 4:32:39 PM

20. As a heterosexual woman, I take offense to the comment that talks about the stereotype that all heterosexual women see gay men as feminine and girlfriend-like. I have known numerous openly gay men in my life (and I live in Texas)! I went to high school with an openly gay star football player who got beaten nearly to death off the field when players from a nearby high school found out about him. I'm friends with two men who are openly gay and in a domestic partnership and adopted a daughter together. One of those two men was in the US Army for years, where he had to keep his sexuality a secret. The same man is now a male nurse. (I also have another friend who's a male nurse, but straight.) I also know several openly gay men who are very feminine, and some who are "queeny." For some of them, it would be no surprise to me to see them pull a tube of lipstick out of their pocket, for whatever reason. I also know a gay man who came out after 20 years of marriage to a woman and fathering 4 kids with her. So, I do not see ALL gay men as feminine, just as I do not see all lesbian women as masculine. I know there are countless different types of gay men, just as there are countless different types of straight men, lesbian women, straight women, and bisexual men and women. All types of people should have the chance to be represented on TV.

Posted by: Holly | Dec 8, 2012 7:10:26 PM

21. It's nice to see another gay guy that isn't super butch. Not every gay guy is butch

Posted by: Jonathan | Dec 8, 2012 9:19:28 PM

22. @ Jonathan

Not every gay guy is a big ol' flaming queen either. And just so all of you bitchy queens know,there are more masculine gay men than there are feminine. You can deny it and spin,twist,turn,twirl,and push it anyway you'd like but the fact is there are more of us than there are of you. The real insecure gay men are the fems who consistently make it their goal to put down someone else's fashion sense and physical appearance. They are also the same ones who make bitchy,catty,snarky remarks in a pathetic attempt to be "funny",when all they are being is pathetic and revealing their insecurities.I'm out and proud but make no mistake, I am masculine and proud as well. I will not let some lower than dirt "ballroom" queen make me feel as if I am the problem.Sweetcheeks,the problem is you! Let's not get this twisted.Goodnight!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Dec 8, 2012 9:57:15 PM

23. I imagine that 90% of those commenting on this post don't watch the show, nor have they seen the character in question. Isn't the LGBT community supposed to celebrate diversity and equal rights or is that only reserved for the "masculine gays?" We should celebrate ANY time a gay character is introduced on network TV. The LGBT community is made up of all types of people (not just the types YOU want to date) and should be represented on TV in that manner.

Posted by: JJJ | Dec 8, 2012 10:53:53 PM

24. Hey, Audi-Owner, prove it.

URL, please.. Show us all who you are. After all, you're totally out and proud and super masculine with no cowardice to hide behind, right?

so, let's see ya. :)

ten bucks says you can't. wimp.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 9, 2012 12:24:55 AM

25. "I have written masculine gay men, gay cops, gay med students, gay activists, lesbian activists, and now a gay male nurse who, yes, sells makeup to make extra money."

Hey Ron, don't forget to add to your list: Psychic lesbian.

Signed,