Boy Scouts | News | Pennsylvania | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Pennsylvania GOP State Rep. Mike Fleck Comes Out

MikefleckMike Fleck, a Republican State Rep. from Pennsylvania, came out of the closet today, a closet he stayed in for nearly 40 years because of his religion and his relationship with the Boy Scouts of America.

"Coming out is hard enough, but doing it in the public eye is definitely something I never anticipated," said the lawmaker, who was married to a woman for more than adecade, according to PoliticsPA.

"I’m still the exact same person and I’m still a Republican and, most importantly, I’m still a person of faith trying to live life as a servant of God and the public. The only difference now is that I will also be doing so as honestly as I know how."

The Republican Party is all about the government needing to stay out of people’s lives. I’m not a one-issue person and it’s not a one-issue party," he said.

Fleck, who is 39-years old and an Eagle Scout, said his staff position with the organization contributed to his staying in the closet.

From the subscriber-only Huntingdon Daily News, which broke the story:

As an executive for the organization, Fleck said "now my livelihood depended on hiding my true sexual orientation, something I was very good at."

He continued that during his 20s, he firmly believed what he’s been taught, that homosexuality was a choice and so never felt in great conflict because he’d learned to suppress his feelings.

"I wanted to live a ‘normal’ life and raise a family," Fleck said. "I also believed that by marrying, I was fulfilling God’s will and I thought my same-sex attraction would simply go away."

Fleck also said that he tried religious therapy to rid himself of same-sex desires, but to no avail. "I sought out treatment from a Christian counselor, but when that didn’t work out, I engaged a secular therapist who told me point blank that I was gay and that I was too caught up in being the perfect Christian rather than actually being authentic and honest," he said.

As for his ex-wife, Fleck said she remains his best-friend. "My wife and I became closer than ever [after I came out to her], but it was bittersweet as we both concluded that the marriage was over," he said.

Comments

1. "me" "me" "me" "my" "I"...
    what exactly has he or does he plan to fo for the GAY COMMUNITY...that's what I really want to know!

he is after all an elected official with great influence on laws. Whats his plans for MILLIONS OF GAYS!??!

Posted by: J | Dec 3, 2012 8:11:14 AM

2. aNY GAY PERSON THAT DEEPLY INVOLVED IN RELIGION IS always MESSED UP! ALWAYS!

Posted by: rIO | Dec 3, 2012 8:14:57 AM

3. Religion kills.

Posted by: Jake | Dec 3, 2012 8:15:09 AM

4. Christians and Catholic gays are truly very homophobic. They will ALWAYS side with straight religious people over the gay community. I don't believe they are to be trusted

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Dec 3, 2012 8:21:21 AM

5. Whenever I hear a gay person preach about God and their religion...I know there's some internalized homophobia in there as well. Notice how most religious gays rarely call out their churches and fellow religious people on homophobia? and when our community calls their church crowd out, religious gays are first in line to say "stop being so militant. people have a right to be homophobic"

religious gays want the best of both worlds without actually ever standing up for something.

No thanks.

Posted by: C.J | Dec 3, 2012 8:22:53 AM

6. BLECH! Another self-hating Uncle Tom. I hope this ruins his career.

Posted by: andy | Dec 3, 2012 9:57:36 AM

7. there should be a collection of the idiocy that is "S**T Gay Republicans Say"

it's textbook cowardice.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 3, 2012 10:05:13 AM

8. I'm a born-again gay Christian whose husband of 45 years standing died last year. I have no trouble connecting and living with my innate gayness and my personal relationship with Jesus. The members of my church fully support me as an open and proud gay Christian. Jesus Himself said to His disciples that they would be mocked and persecuted for believing in Him. I see plenty of that on this site.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Dec 3, 2012 11:38:29 AM

9. Perhaps it is one step at a time. Once he realizes that as an out gay, his fellow Republicans hate him, maybe he can take the next step.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 3, 2012 1:53:04 PM

10. Perhaps it is one step at a time. Once he realizes that as an out gay, his fellow Republicans hate him, maybe he can take the next step.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 3, 2012 1:53:18 PM

11. The mind of man has not evolved enough to understand the meaning of life, where we really came from and what the purpose of life is really all about. Thus we come up with evolution and the bible, so take your pick. If you pick the bible, my hope is you're not a homophobe.

Posted by: mike ramon | Dec 8, 2012 10:17:42 AM