News | Oregon

Hero at the Lancome Counter at Macy's: VIDEO

Fonseca

Allan Fonseca, a young man working at the Lancome make-up counter in Macy's, is being credited as a hero by one woman who escaped the Oregon shooting:

Lay said that she began praying for the Lord to protect her and the other shoppers in the mall. She said Fonseca, as a store employee, knew exactly what to do, and she credits him as her hero.

"He said that we needed to evacuate, and he took me by the hand and took me down the escalator and out to safety," she said. Once Fonseca was sure that she was safe, he then turned to her and said, "I'm going to go back and help other people."

Fonseca said that because he is familiar with the exits in the mall, he felt that he would be able to help shoppers escape the gunfire.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. No, we don't *know* that this young man is gay. Based on admittedly stereotypical indicators I'd say chances are pretty good that he is, but who knows?

However, we do know that he doesn't really fit the "masculine ideal" that is so often held up as the gold standard for male behavior, here and elsewhere. We know he twice went back into a building where a gunman was shooting at people to help others escape. He went to the upper floor, where the gunman was, looking for co-workers who might need help. That is a better display of courage than clothing or vocal inflection could ever be.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 12, 2012 5:36:23 PM

2. She prayed and the Lord sent her a gay angel...

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 12, 2012 5:36:36 PM

3. WC YUPP. :)

Posted by: Marc C | Dec 12, 2012 5:37:41 PM

4. Let this lovely story teach us two things:

First, never underestimate the toughness of the delicate looking guy with the perfect skin standing behind the Lancome counter.

Second, with a proper base tease, your hair can look fabulous late into the evening no matter what calamity befalls you during the day.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 12, 2012 5:44:10 PM

5. Milkman : Third, if the guy turned out to be heterosexual, gays would be shrieking: "Leave it to the straight guy in that stupid rat's nest haircut to save some religious-freak lady.."

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 12, 2012 5:47:01 PM

6. Heroes are people who do what the rest of us would have done in hindsight. Wow and yay to this guy, straight or any of the letters of LGBTQ.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 12, 2012 6:03:57 PM

7. I don't know if he's gay or not; but I sure would be proud to have him numbered among the decent, honourable, upright, hard working millions of us gays;
    if I'm in a crisis he is the kind of guy to have around whatever his sexual orientation.
    And the truth is that very many gays are of the same standard.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 12, 2012 6:14:55 PM

8. By standard , I mean they are just as courageous and helpful in their communities.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 12, 2012 6:15:56 PM

9. Yeah, sure Jack.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 12, 2012 6:16:28 PM

10. I hate myself so much.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 12, 2012 6:49:10 PM

11. And thanks to Marc C's comment on the 1st page we do know he's gay and a scholarship winner.

"Allan Fonseca- Allan has faced his share of challenges, growing up in a low income, Hispanic family and being a young, gay male. However, his challenges have made Allan, 19, a determined, caring and compassionate young man. Through the Running Start program, he completed two years of college, while attending high school. He helped organize the Gay Straight Alliance on campus and leads by example."

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 12, 2012 6:58:17 PM

12. I'm here to troll because my own life is so boring.

Posted by: YUPP | Dec 12, 2012 7:00:32 PM

13. Oh wow, Mr. Yupp imposter, you SURE got ME good there, didn't you ?! Whoa! That was clever !!

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 12, 2012 7:05:29 PM

14. Daniel Hernandez who saved Gabrielle Giffords was also gay. There are so many gay heroes or rather gay people around you always run into one by chance.

Posted by: simon | Dec 12, 2012 7:34:26 PM

15. Thank you Allan. I now have a new respect for the guys who work the fragrance counters at my local Macy's. I admit that I tended to look past them as just "fluff". I will now look at them as men of substance.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 12, 2012 7:34:45 PM

16. Seems like a decent guy...should be on Ellen for sure!!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Dec 12, 2012 8:11:00 PM

17. What a cutie!

Posted by: beed | Dec 12, 2012 9:01:10 PM

18. He knew all the exits, that's his best courage card. It's also possible he went back and secured his station in the shop, even possibly the cash register or some other high-value items. Or his sense of humanity really just kicked in and proceeded to save the highest-value items in the mall - human lives. We'
    ll find out when more people step forward to confirm Mr. Fonseca's heroism.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Dec 12, 2012 9:10:45 PM

19. @Andrew, how about having respect for everyone you meet, regardless of their apparent occupation, unless they give you reason to not accord them respect?

Posted by: RJ | Dec 12, 2012 9:29:09 PM

20. Way to go, Allan!

Posted by: Justin | Dec 12, 2012 10:02:13 PM

21. @RJ: Thats the way to live. Do you do that? Or are you like many preachers just telling others how to live, while all the time sinning yourself.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 12, 2012 11:23:59 PM

22. But he's gay. And gay people are bad people. He helped someone ? This doesn't make sense. How can that be ? My preacher and the Republicans told me that all gays are bad people. What do I do now ? What is happening to the world ? You mean I can't trust my preacher or my political party ? Is this a joke ? Help me. I am a weak person. I depend on my preacher to tell me what to do at all times. You mean preachers can lie ? Oh my.

Lol.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 13, 2012 12:33:57 AM

23. @Andrew: RJ's comment seems to be directed towards a comment you made in reply to "Alan". A comment by Alan Brickman follows yours, but if you were replying to him, your comment should have followed his as his would have had to have been already there for you to see it. If you replying to a different Alan (whose comment was then deleted) satirically, RJ might have thought you were replying to Alan Brickman as he is now the only Alan listed.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 13, 2012 12:36:59 AM

24. Icebloo : I doubt they told you that ALL gays are bad people. Just most.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 13, 2012 1:18:34 AM

25. From The Greater Seattle Business Association:
    "Allan Fonseca (Mabton) Allan has faced his share of challenges, growing up in a low income, Hispanic family and being a young, gay male."

Posted by: Rich | Dec 13, 2012 4:05:34 AM