Gay Marriage | Indiana | News

Indiana AG To Supreme Court: Let States Ban Marriage Equality

Greg-zoellerIndiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller confirmed today that he will an amicus brief with the Supreme Court to defend Indiana's right to ban marriage equality:

Zoeller said Friday he will file an amicus brief with the high court when it takes up California's ban on gay marriage and the federal Defense of Marriage Act next year.

...

Zoeller made the announcement during a year-end news conference. He defended his decision to stop defending the state's immigration laws following a Supreme Court ruling invalidating similar measures in Arizona.

Though Zoeller made the announcement today, he actually wrote about his plans in an op-ed for the Evansville Courier Press earlier this month. In it, he attempts to defend his meddling in a Supreme Court case:

Defining marriage is an intrinsic function of state government that ought not be stripped from states as happened to California in one of the cases now being appealed. This is an important question of our time and therefore we asked the U.S. Supreme Court to exercise its role in our constitutional process to provide answers. Representing Indiana's case is my responsibility as Attorney General, an obligation that I will do to the best of my skill and ability.

A recent poll showed that 54% of Indiana voters oppose a proposed amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as one man and one woman, an amendment Republican Zoeller hoping to bolster with this hateful effort.

Comments

1. I did want to add one more thing...'with liberty and justice for ALL.' Anyone recognize that line??

Posted by: billmiller | Dec 29, 2012 9:59:01 AM

2. Why is Indiana so consistently backward?

Posted by: Rob Zeleniak | Dec 29, 2012 10:26:16 AM

3. I don't know why he is injecting himself in this except perhaps a Republican ego booster. I sadly live in Indiana. There are no court cases about this in the state and there is already a law on the books banning same sex marriage. His little band of homophobes want it to be a Constitutional Amendment.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 29, 2012 2:36:50 PM

4. Indiana -bringing a little of the South to the mid-west.
    Gotta love those Hooooosiersssss.

Posted by: nick | Dec 29, 2012 5:20:04 PM

5. I'm afraid of the next four years myself. All I can hope is the high court allow us to be married here in Indiana.

Posted by: Charles | Dec 29, 2012 9:12:06 PM

6. Indiana has an interest (although a wrong-headed one) in this case and Zoeller is not just grandstanding.

Even though Indiana already bans equal marriage, Zoeller is afraid that the Supreme Court might use this case to find that the Constitution provides for a FEDERAL right to equal marriage which would supercede and invalidate Indiana's laws. Those laws are morally wrong, but it's not "meddling" for the Indiana AG to take action to defend his state's laws.

Second, for those of you who are all upset that I'm picking on Mr. Belonsky, you should understand that there are a number of us who are tired of his habit of inaccurate and slapdash writing on this blog.

It's not like I'm critizing poor grammar or spelling in someone's reader comment here. I expect and accept that we all have different skill levels. But Towleroad is a commercial enterprise and Mr. Belonsky puts himself forth as a professional journalist and writer. In my opinion, his posts here are often not up to the standards and quality that I usually find on Towleroad and he should be called on that.

Posted by: Buster | Dec 29, 2012 10:04:10 PM

7. @Uffda: It's IN. He could have any religious background.

@Hunter: Thanks for injecting some reason into this discussion. OTOH - I've heard there are good spellchecks TR could easily use.

@Buster: I sympathize with your views on the editing on this site. However, I happen to be far more concerned with the misstatements in the posts. I agree that correcting commenters is not appropriate, however, in this instance, it's "supersede". It's the only English word ending in "sede".

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 30, 2012 10:06:56 AM

8. Thank you, Diogenes.

Posted by: Buster | Dec 30, 2012 5:13:05 PM

9. Oh infallible Buster, could you please enlighten those of us less adept in grammar, vocabulary and spelling on the definition and proper usage of "critizing?" Stones, glass houses, all that claptrap...

Posted by: Kenneth | Dec 30, 2012 8:55:24 PM

10. Repubilican Asswipe - nothng more. Hopefully, he will voted out of office.

Posted by: RK | Dec 31, 2012 12:19:37 PM