Adam Lambert | Donna Summer | Madonna | News

BigGayDeal.com

Adam Lambert Sings Madonna's 'Ray of Light' and a Donna Summer Tribute on 'VH1 Divas': VIDEO

Lambert

Adam Lambert hit the stage at the Shrine Auditorium yesterday for a performance of Madonna's "Ray of Light" and a tribute to Donna Summer for the VH1 Divas event.

For the Donna Summer tribute he was joined by KEri Hilson and Kelly Rowland for a medley of “Love to Love You Baby”, “Hot Stuff”, and “Last Dance”.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Donna Summer tribute:

Comments

1. Is it me, or does he sing the whole first section a quarter-tone flat? (No, it's not me; I have perfect pitch.) Earpiece issues?

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Dec 17, 2012 9:20:49 AM

2. Yeah, the first part was indeed flat. I know that before he went on, he was seen talking to the sound guy, so he may have been having issues before hand.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 17, 2012 9:24:11 AM

3. I'm sorry, but those clips were horrible!!

Posted by: AJ | Dec 17, 2012 9:34:40 AM

4. He is a bit off tune. Why didn't he just lip-sync like everyone else does?

Posted by: Sarcastic Medved | Dec 17, 2012 9:36:40 AM

5. Last Dance at the end of the second clip is the only thing watchable.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Dec 17, 2012 9:45:42 AM

6. I think we see Adam doing something with one earpiece *as he was starting to sing* so, yeah, there was something wrong. He's usually pretty on point.

This was a big yawn for me, but I did like "Hot Stuff."

Posted by: Grant | Dec 17, 2012 9:48:29 AM

7. Ouch...

Posted by: Raheem | Dec 17, 2012 9:50:04 AM

8. Off key, horrible fashion, no excitement or creativity in the moment - another American Idol, X-factor drone for this uninspired age.

Posted by: reyysy | Dec 17, 2012 9:59:45 AM

9. I enjoyed it! :)

Posted by: calcifer | Dec 17, 2012 10:05:38 AM

10. Boy, I love Donna Summer and (most of) Madonna's music, but sometimes thought they were maybe not the best of singers. But after hearing this, I'm rethinking that. What a mess! I always thought Kelly Rowland could have played Donna Summer in a movie (she looks like her IMHO), but really needs to work on her singing.

Posted by: Ernest1960 | Dec 17, 2012 10:33:45 AM

11. Fantastic, a hyper-effeminate man dolled up in an over-the-top costume mimicking "divas" in front of an audience consisting almost entirely of women.

I don't know why he left the flowers out of his hair, but I am really disappointed that he didn't.....

Posted by: Rick | Dec 17, 2012 10:34:51 AM

12. Last Dance is the only one that is even half way decent. I agree, it's a mess. Terrible arrangements, generic music that sounds like it's coming out of a can, buried vocals. There is no sense of what makes Madonna and Donna Summers so wonderful. I guess I'm showing my age, but this just highlights how bland and awful most pop and dance music is right now. I can't see them paying tribute 30 years down the road to current artists because there is just nothing that grabs you and pulls you in like the old stuff.

Posted by: Rae | Dec 17, 2012 10:44:53 AM

13. "Madonna and Donna Summers" in the same breath is ridiculous. The former can NOT sing to save her life! The Ray crap was all studio wizardry and nothing else!
    Has she ever sung it live and hit that note? Heck, no!!

Donna was a Godess w/ the Voice!
    Let's not soil her memory by putting her name next to that talent-free hag's like that!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Dec 17, 2012 11:55:28 AM

14. I thought there were sound issues all the way through the Madonna song when I watched it on TV last night... Issues that I didn't hear throughout the rest of the program. I was a bit dissapointed when I realized the tribute was just this one song. Would have loved to have heard a medley as they did for Donna Summer. On a side note, they really are scraping the bottom of the barrell with what meets the definition of a Diva these days. Didn't recognize half of the performers on site, didn't know most of the names and yeah, I love her, but the woman that plays Mercedes on Glee hasn't earned it yet!

Posted by: Anthony | Dec 17, 2012 12:29:31 PM

15. Sorry but trained musician here. Pitch and delivery problems. I could not listen to the whole piece. Had to hunt up Ray o Light in my I tunes
    Madonna rocks it so well.

Posted by: Ganymeade | Dec 17, 2012 1:57:55 PM

16. Adam couldn't hear the music at the beginning which is why he was off pitch. But he has one of the best voices, if not THE best male voice, out there. It's too bad he has to tart up his presentation with ridiculous outfits and hair & makeup, and especially all that strutting and posing that makes him seem synthetic and fake. It's like he's playing what he thinks a pop star should be rather than organically arriving at his own style. Given that the entire Divas special was nothing but posing, with mediocre singers surrounded by dancers doing angry, ridiculous choreography, he fit right in, but he's such a talent that it's a shame. Maybe that's why gay men don't go for him - they see through it. I saw him live in NY and the audience was mainly women, and he did a lot of posing and strutting and never connected with most of the audience. I saw Mika live and he was terrific - never changed costume, just came out and sang and bopped around the stage and knocked everybody out. Adam should just tone it down and sing and he'll be fine and maybe get more fans, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 17, 2012 4:13:31 PM

17. Poor Donna MUST be rolling over in her grave to that mess! What a disservice to a queen.

Posted by: garyjorlando | Dec 17, 2012 4:16:58 PM

18. I agree with Rae- for a tribute about two of the Queens of Pop Music they both deserve better- why was La Lambert dressed as if he was about to lead a black mass on Saturn? The two women who I've never heard before both lacked Summers amazing voice.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 17, 2012 5:38:26 PM

19. With homophobic comments like these, who needs rednecks?

Posted by: Joe | Dec 17, 2012 5:42:25 PM

20. What a disaster. This mess isn't going to do anything positive for Adam's already dwindling career.

Posted by: Mess | Dec 17, 2012 6:00:49 PM

21. For anyone that is uninformed...the issues last night were the venue itself and the sound techs. Lambert doesn't lip-synch because he doesn't NEED to.Yes, there was a huge problem with his ear bud and he shot a "Diva-like" look at the tech when he realized it as well. After the first 2 verses, it was corrected. During his Glam Nation Tour in 2010, he did a sound-check with his OWN people, and THIS is how well he sings when he has people who know wtf they are doing! (Spoiler alert, Ray of Light!)He's the figure sitting on the steps.If you're going to "judge", do be more informed, OK?

And his career is not "dwindling" since he has many International dates lined up already, beginning in Bali for NYE, then on to Vietnam, Indonesia, Japan (6 sold out concerts there already)Russia (Moscow and St. Pete's) etc.
    His skits were brilliant and there were OODLES of MEN (gay and straight) in the audience, sheesh.
    It's always so nice to know he's being supported so lovingly by his "own community" though. *sarcasm* :/

Posted by: RedRoseQueen1 | Dec 17, 2012 10:55:04 PM

22. Gawd, all of these numbers were bad. The women's voices are not up to snuff.

And Adam ... this "act" of his, with the make-up and the whatever, is embarrassing. Aren't his 15 minutes of fame (with this style) up yet?

He has a great voice so I hope he has something else left in him.

@redrosequeen1: just because he's gay doesn't earn him a free ride with any "community." Asia and Europe is where many Americans play when they are close to retirement.

Posted by: Guy | Dec 18, 2012 1:43:57 AM

23. Gawd, all of these numbers were bad. The women's voices are not up to snuff.

He has a great voice so I hope he has something else left in him.

Posted by: Guy | Dec 18, 2012 1:44:05 AM

24. I loved the show. Adam did a spectacular job hosting and performing. All the performers seemed to love him.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Dec 18, 2012 1:54:19 AM

25. The terrible sound engineering seems to be a recurring theme. I don't think -any- performers could have sounded good with those engineers.

Posted by: Mike B. | Dec 18, 2012 5:53:23 AM