Mormon | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Mormon Church Wants Gays To 'Stay With Us:' VIDEO

Ldsgay

The Mormon Church today unveiled a website dedicated to starting a "discussion" on gays and lesbians within the church, or as they say, people with "same-sex attraction."

"When people have those (same-sex) desires and attractions, our attitude is, ‘stay with us,’” Elder Todd Christofferson says in a video on the site, "Mormons and Gays."

"Here more than anywhere, it’s important that there be love, that there be hope. We want to be with you and work together," explains Christofferson. But what he and his peers do not want is same-sex marriage or even same-sex sex.

"Though we don’t know everything, we know enough to be able to say that same-sex attraction is not itself sin," he said. "The feeling, the desire is not classified the same as homosexual behavior itself."

Not surprisingly, the site features more than a few testimonials from people who claim to have "found" a heterosexual life after fighting those aforementioned same-sex attractions.

You can watch the church's official video introducing the site AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Bullsh*t. Utter bullsh*t. The Mormons and their "church" can rot in the farthest depths of Hell.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 6, 2012 2:24:46 PM

2. Dear Mormons,

No, thank you.

Love and hugs,

The Milkman.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 6, 2012 2:42:27 PM

3. ..and here in Phila. they're Building a HUGE God-dammed Mormon Temple at 17th and Vine sts....FU Mormons

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 6, 2012 2:47:36 PM

4. "Same sex attraction is not in itself a sin."

I'm so relieved I could $hit.
    Isn't this yet another rehash of the old crap, being homo is OK as long as you don't practice.... ie as long as you don't love anyone.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 6, 2012 3:01:56 PM

5. ...Just as I predicted awhile back, when the mormon video of the Gay man happily married to the straight woman, living in mormonity for all eternity.
    THIS IS NOT ABOUT MORMONS EVENTUALLY ACCEPTING GAYS AS GAY --- it is about a very basic tenet of the cheesey "prosperity scheme" that is their religion. All your family, ancestors, and progeny get to be with you for eternity, when, as a god, you get your own planet.

WHEN GAY MORMONS HAVE THE COURAGE TO BE THEMSELVES
    THEY RISK LOSING THEIR FAMILIES, THEIR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, JOBS, ETC., as well as wandering loose for all eternity.
    .... yes, it is a cult

Posted by: Bob | Dec 6, 2012 3:18:10 PM

6. 1978 - the year of the great revelation regarding African Americans (I doubt there was *anything* concerning tax-exempt status. I think it was sheer greed to get more non-whites invovled, especially outside the US.)

Yes, LDS theology has a certain malleability. That's one reason for "lying for the Lord": it's easier to change your beliefs when you make sure you can't be pinned down. (Sounds like someone we all know!) LDS, however, tries to avoid revelations, because it looks like they are not infallible. Instead, LDS prefers to rely on faulty memory: it hopes problematic beliefs will simply recede into a collective amnesia. That's why intellectuals are frowned on in LDS as they tend to ask too many questions - especially about history. It was one thing to allow African Americans full rights, because not too much had to change. To accept LGBT people, however, would be too massive a shock to LDS's extreme heteronormativity. I recently read that an apostle said there were three groups who were the greatest threat to LDS: intellectuals, gays, and lesbians. (While I'm not convinced the quote is authentic, it certainly rings true.)

I don't like to dump on someone else's religious beliefs, but LDS crossed some sort of line for me quite some time ago.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 6, 2012 3:47:52 PM

7. as Annie answered I cannot believe that a stay at home mom can make $7867 in four weeks on the internet. did you read this web site www.INFO34.com

Posted by: cateblanchettc | Dec 6, 2012 4:00:47 PM

8. It's the new agenda of the right-wing. The agenda is no longer to blatantly hate gays. Now they are going to gently tell us that they hate us, and gently send the message we're sinners and perverted, in a way meant to promote "tolerance" and "understanding".

It's entirely a game meant to bring people to believe the same homophobic crap they do. We cannot allow anyone to fall for this propaganda.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 6, 2012 4:20:46 PM

9. I'm sure there are gays who would like to remain in their church- for them this is a step in the right direction.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 6, 2012 5:14:09 PM

10. Religion is an idea who's time has come and gone. Religion is now enemy number one.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Dec 6, 2012 6:11:06 PM

11. please....please...please stay....we need your cash!!!

Posted by: Smuggy | Dec 6, 2012 6:31:18 PM

12. If it tells you anything, the LDS sometimes decrees certain things not necessarily forbidden but to to be avoided because it's "not conducive to faith." One of the things they don't really want Mormons looking into too deeply? Early Mormon history. That's right, the Mormon Church, which is known for its vast archives of genealogical data (the better to covert the dead with, my dear), doesn't want encourage their own faithful to look too deeply into church history.

Why? Well there's Joseph Smith's conviction for scamming money from people by saying he would use a "seer stone" to find hidden Hessian gold on their land. That scam was remarkably similar to his later "finding and translating" the golden tablets the Angel Moroni showed him, the basis for the Book Of Mormon. Then the polygamy, obviously. Then there's the bloody infighting and various attacks on other settlers.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 6, 2012 6:53:22 PM

13. This is a joke, right? I mean, does the Mormon Church really expect that a blatant PR move aimed squarely and solely at fixing its public image will do anything to offset the damage that they have done? The Mormons did everything in their power to influence the Prop 8 vote in the state of California, including dumping millions of dollars into the campaign to support the proposition. They did so in spite of the tax exempt status granted to them because they are supposedly non-political. Then, when folks began to catch on to where all that money was coming from, they did everything in their power to hide the fact of their involvement. And now they're trying to muster up some compassion? What a crock!

When the LDS decides they'll give an amount to LGBT organizations that's equivalent to what they contributed to the Prop 8 campaign, and throw in the legal costs of the resulting fight to overturn Prop 8 all the way to the Supreme Court, then they might begin to have some credibility. But not until then.

Posted by: teeveedub | Dec 6, 2012 6:56:04 PM

14. As a gay Mormon I lived for a long time with the cognitive dissonance of knowing myself while trying to believe the Mormon teachings about gay people. It nearly drove me to suicide. I'm out and happy now.

I think the new website is just a PR attempt to slow the loss of church members who are leaving because of the church's stand on gays. These are mostly great people whose own experience is in direct conflict with the teachings of their church. They leave to keep their sanity and integrity.

Posted by: moho.guy | Dec 6, 2012 9:14:43 PM

15. It is time for us to all sign the petition to the White House for the construction of a Death Star and be rid of these people!

Its first target: The planet Kolob.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Dec 6, 2012 9:49:19 PM

16. Any talk of "dialogue" in the Mormon church is a farce. They dialogue about how they are right and gay people are wrong and that is it.

Posted by: David | Dec 6, 2012 11:18:03 PM

17. In 1997, I was 19 and I let some missionaries into my life. I became interested in knowing about the church and for a short time they had meetings at my place, where they'd teach me about their book and how theirs was "the one true church". I was then considered an unbaptized visitor and I was allowed to go with them on trips with them to baptize people. Many of them were friendly, and they are not allowed to befriend people unless they're also fellow mormons or are people they're trying to convert.

I became friendly with many of them, but there was a guy from Utah, 19 years old, blonde, muscular, very sweet, whom I became deeply attached to almost right away. We talked as much as we could because we were in company of other people, but I felt we made a connection. I didn't understand my feelings back then and neither did he, I guess. When it was time for him to be transferred (missionaries don't stay in one place longer than three months), we both cried when we said goodbye and the last words he said were "we'll be together one day".

I wrote him a long letter. I was angry, sad, disappointed and very much in love, and I poured out my feelings into that piece of paper. I let one of my friends in the church read it before sending it. She told me that letters to missionaries were "screened", and she felt that my feelings were a bit "gay", which was fine with her, but she reminded me that "the guys get freaked out about that stuff". The incriminatory line was "I love you".

She was right; none of the young missionaries from that group would ever use foul language, but they had no qualms about using homophobic slurs, and they did often.

I refused to change the contents of the letter. I sent it twice; first to the church's PO box, and the second time I gave it to a church member who promised would deliver it directly to his hands.

I never got a reply and was depressed for a long time, crying myself to sleep almost every night for a year and a half. It took me that long to get over him and accept that I'd never hear from him again.

I came to the conclusion that missionaries compete among themselves to convert people. They really didn't care if you get attached to them, their "mission" was to convert you and exploit your emotional weaknesses, then they move on to another location and never look back. If I was to be remembered, it had to be as one of those faceless people whom they'd think of when they told their family back home about how many they converted to the "true church".

That was the last of my disappointments with Christians, and since then I lived a happy and guilt-free life as an atheist.

That said, I don't expect for the mormon church to change their views on the LGBT community.

Posted by: stranded | Dec 7, 2012 12:17:58 AM

18. What a pathetic hoot. A gay person's right to enjoy sex and love the way he or she feels it is truly a fundamental God/Nature given right. It is not up for discussion or modification. Why on earth would anyone "stay with you". What for? A new twist on torment, "It's OK to have your bo*er, just don't do anything with it." FuOff.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 7, 2012 12:22:44 AM

19. I was excommunicated by the Mormons for having sex with a guy I've now been with for 19 years. This is just more mormon BS. For those who are gay and still mormons: leave! It's a better life outside. I'm properly married (living in Belgium!) and have two children and a great husband and a great job. True, genuine happiness which I never see in Mormons - even straight ones.

Posted by: MJD | Dec 7, 2012 4:54:04 AM

20. Where was the Mormon "love" when they defeated Prop 8 in California?

Posted by: Bill | Dec 7, 2012 8:46:14 AM

21. I kinda get the feeling that this is a "come out come out where ever you are" all is forgiven PR blitz, but it feels more like the big bad wolf calling out to little red riding hood to trust him he won't hurt her.

"its not a sin to be attracted" but if you act . . . . uh oh.

What are they actually saying: show yourselves so we can watch you more closely and then .... There's obviously an ulterior motive here and its not good.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 7, 2012 7:17:33 PM