India | News | Norway | Surrogacy

Norway's Crown Princess Flew to India, Posed as Nanny to Care for Gay Employee's Twins Born to Surrogate

Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit went the extra mile for a gay palace employee who could not get a travel visa to care for his infant twins born to a surrogate mother in India, Reuters reports:

Mette-maritArmed with a diplomatic passport that granted her immediate access, the future queen jumped on a plane in late October when the employee, who is also a friend, and his husband were unable to travel to care for their newborns.

"For me, this is about two babies lying alone in a New Delhi hospital," Mette-Marit said in a statement. "I was able to travel and wanted to do what I could."

She did not alert Indian authorities and spent several days with the babies at the Manav Medicare Centre, where staff assumed the wife of Norway's Crown Prince Haakon was a nanny.

A relative of one of the fathers eventually took over while the palace kept her absence under wraps. Said Mette-Marit: "Sometimes life presents you with situations with few good solutions. This was one of those."

Comments

1. Kind gestures like that of the Princess help to endear the Monarchy to its people. One of the things that has had a lasting effect in endearing the British Monarchy to its people is the behavior of the Royal Family during WWII. The Royal Family stayed in London during the German air attacks on that city. In fact a very young Princess Elizabeth worked as an ambulance driver taking wounded people to the hospital. One of the many reasons she is loved by so many in the U.K.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 4, 2012 3:16:14 AM

2. @Rick: Kate is not the Princess of Wales yet, there currently is no Princess of Wales. Charles, William's dad, is the Princes of Wales, and his wife is Duchess of Cornwall. William and Kate are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, if I'm not mistaken. And this Norwegian crown princess is amazing. Indeed the Norwegian Royal family has quite an honorable history; during WWII the reigning King was bravely defiant of the invading Nazis.

Posted by: Guy in Atlanta | Dec 4, 2012 5:41:19 AM

3. Fabulous Boss. Supremely so.

Posted by: Ellipse Kirk | Dec 4, 2012 6:45:57 AM

4. @Chris: Uhh... socialism has absolutely nothing to do with bans on surrogacy.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Dec 4, 2012 7:08:01 AM

5. RICK - that was hilarious!
    OS2GUY - hadn't heard about the rejection of the shoes. How deflating. It's often oddly true that people don't really want help and are managing just fine in their own view. A hard one to call...btw I'm a big fan of your happiness...you know how to live.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 4, 2012 7:20:56 AM

6. @ JYOTSANA

Let me quote myself:

"I have no problems with surrogacy that doesn't take advantage of poor women."

I know there are plenty of reasons for choosing to be a surrogate. I am talking about the 'baby factories' that provide poor women, which yes, I find morally wrong. Stop trying to shame me for having an opinion.

Also, I am a Norwegian woman and this is about Norwegian laws, not 'all around the globe'.

That said, I do think that the Norwegian laws could be better in terms of egg donation and surrogacy.

Posted by: Tanoka | Dec 4, 2012 8:17:46 AM

7. Wow. Can you imagine all those rich people in the world were to do this kind of things for their fellow human beings? I think this world would be closer to that fairy tale we all aspire to live in.

Posted by: G. V. | Dec 4, 2012 10:23:23 AM

8. This is an amazing story, and I wish the new parents and the babies all the best!!

Just one tiny thing that struck me as odd: Is it that difficult or hit-and-miss to get a Visa to travel from Norway to India? I wouldn't imagine so. But if I had a surrogate in India who was about to give birth, I would make super super sure I was actually able to get there before/ as soon as the babies are born. Again, not meaning to be confrontational, just wondering.

Posted by: Lee | Dec 4, 2012 10:44:49 AM

9. Norwegian royalty shows the rest of the world how it's done.....

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 4, 2012 11:56:46 AM

10. Wow, what a Cool Gal!

Posted by: Frank | Dec 5, 2012 6:51:14 AM

11. Surrogacy india, Surrogacy In India, Surrogacy Treatment in India, Go Surrogacy India offers Surrogacy in India for Gestational Surrogacy and Egg Donor IVF Surrogacy at low cost at Top Surrogacy Clinics in India by Go Surrogacy Agencies in India at Delhi and Mumbai

Posted by: Surrogacy India | Dec 28, 2012 10:24:07 AM

12. gay surrogacy,surrogacy for gay couples,surrogacy for gay men,gay surrogacy cost,gay surrogacy agency,gay men surrogacy,gay surrogacy blog. Gay Surrogacy – Options in India for Gay Men and Couples for Surrogacy with Surrogacy Clinics who support Surrogacy for Gay Men and Couples in India.

Posted by: Gay surrogacy India | Jan 16, 2013 3:56:39 AM

13. surrogacy legality India,surrogacy law India,surrogacy legal Indiacommercial surrogacy India,commercial surrogacy law India. Surrogacy Legality in India – Surrogacy is Legal by Law in India – Commercial and Alturistic Surrogacy has been allowed by Law in India – Know More…

Posted by: Surrogacy legalities in India | Jan 28, 2013 1:42:19 AM