Florida | Marco Rubio | News | Republican Party

Marco Rubio: My Faith, Which Informs Me, Says That Homosexuality is a Sin - VIDEO

Rubio

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), seen as a presidential contender for the GOP in 2016, sat down for an interview with Politico's Mike Allen, Think Progress reports.

Here's what Rubio had to say when asked if homosexuality is a sin:

Well, I can tell you what faith teaches and faith teaches that it is. And that’s what the Bible teaches and that’s what faith teaches. But it also teaches that there area bunch of other sins that are no less. For example, it teaches that lying is a sin. It teaches that disrespecting your parents is a sin. It teaches that stealing is a sin. It teaches that coveting your neighbor and what your neighbor has is a sin. So there isn’t a person in this room that isn’t guilty of sin. So, I don’t go around pointing fingers in that regard. I’m responsible for my salvation and I’m responsible for my family’s, and for inculcating in my family what our faith teaches, and they’ll become adults and decide how they want to apply that in life. As a policy maker, I could just tell you that I’m informed by my faith. And my faith informs me in who I am as a person — but not as a way to pass judgment on people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Think Progress notes that Rubio's position of not "passing judgment" on people is NOT backed by his actions:

Rubio opposed allowing same-sex couples in Florida to adopt children. He opposed allowing gay and lesbian members of the Armed Services to serve openly. He opposes making it illegal to fire someone just for being LGBT.
Worse than his rigid opposition to legal recognition for same-sex couples, he recorded a robocall for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) last month.

Comments

1. He's not making decisions based on his faith, but on his ignorance.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 5, 2012 1:23:15 PM

2. How pathetic is the GOP that this is their future??

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Dec 5, 2012 1:35:51 PM

3. Why has religion suddenly become an important part of politics? Church and State NEED to stay, not only separate, but miles away from one another.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Dec 5, 2012 1:48:43 PM

4. Not judging but I will compare you to thieves and liars.

Posted by: niles | Dec 5, 2012 1:53:48 PM

5. To the faithful: please take your pathetic little god and go to hell. thanks.

Posted by: ccbeach | Dec 5, 2012 2:53:42 PM

6. So, since eating pork is a sin for Jews should we make that a criminal act too and forbid hotdogs or pork chops.

Your religious beliefs shouldn't be enshrined in my secular laws.

Posted by: Continuum | Dec 5, 2012 3:01:29 PM

7. his religious beliefs also make him think the earth is only 4000 years old and eve was an extra rib from adam and the world was created in 7 days. it must be nice to be able to live in a shell while the world moves on without you. to the repuks you just keep marching backin history but stop trying to make the dark ages for everyone else. these people arent fit to lead a modern country.

Posted by: walter | Dec 5, 2012 3:11:05 PM

8. A lot of things are a sin Mr. Rubio. I'm sure you commit some every day. Yet you are allowed to marry. All sinners are allowed to marry. Civil marriage has nothing to do with the church or religion in general.

Posted by: jleo71 | Dec 5, 2012 3:18:09 PM

9. Well my faith tells me that you and people like you Marco are assholes and not worthy of breathing the same air as I do.

Posted by: Mmike1969 | Dec 5, 2012 3:32:15 PM

10. Two-faced, lying little weasel.

Posted by: Kyle M. Sullivan | Dec 5, 2012 3:55:36 PM

11. There is one simple rule to apply to reason and the law "People > your silly beliefs, no matter how widely held" I don't if its Jesus, Allah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, what ever fairy tales you hold most dear do not get to dictate the rights and freedoms of your fellow man.

Posted by: Epic | Dec 5, 2012 4:48:55 PM

12. if this is the best the Republicans can come up with in 2016, they are in for another shocker.... this is a man with almost less of a backbone/spine than Mitt Romney...Does religion not allow you to think for yourself??????????

Posted by: Bernie | Dec 5, 2012 6:12:48 PM

13. Bulling gay children to the point they kill themselves is also a sin, and a crime and anti-gay Christians who can be traced to these deaths need to be held on murder charges the same as any one who is a party to a crime or murder.

Posted by: Kit | Dec 5, 2012 7:04:49 PM

14. What faith is that? It isn't Christianity since Jesus Christ never said a word about homosexuality.

Posted by: Tre | Dec 5, 2012 7:09:19 PM

15. Does his faith not teach him that the entire bible is "the word of god'? Why is he not calling for the execution of all of those who work on the Sabbath? Why is he not pushing for legislation to execute adulterers? The reason is simple. He really doesn't believe all that biblical b*ll s*it. He just picks and chooses stuff that agree with the views of the wing nuts he hopes will help elect him V.P or President.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 5, 2012 8:30:56 PM

16. Well Marco, my brain informs me that you're an ignorant A-hole!

Posted by: Chicklets | Dec 5, 2012 8:35:22 PM

17. Someone should tell Rubio that one of the words that you won't find in the U.S.Constitution is the word GOD. Nowhere to be found in the foundation document of our Republic.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 5, 2012 9:37:26 PM

18. I think our community, our LGBT, our LGBT leaders and organizations need to do a better job as far as exposing this man for the hateful, dangerous, and militant man he is. Considering he is the one being promoted by GOP as their choice for President, our side needs to do whatever they can to challenge and combat this bigot. I haven't seen enough of it. Join forces and showcase his hypocrisy and attack his political future. I don't think he's any better than santourm. In many respects, Rubio is actually worse.

Posted by: Michael Civick | Dec 6, 2012 1:50:16 AM

19. Who cares what this Cuban refugee boat person has to say.
    I like how his glosses over how his parents were boat people from Cuba.

Posted by: Sarcastic Medved | Dec 6, 2012 10:09:49 AM

20. "you cannot craft laws based on your own chosen religious beliefs, and then seek to impose them on people who do not share those beliefs"

Little Kiwi, you, and so many others on this site, should consider qualifying these sentiments. My faith clearly informs me to grant full LGBT rights. I doubt anyone who belongs on this site would disagree with my program, even if they think I should be locked up in a mental ward (or whatever) for being a (liberal) Christian. The needed qualification goes at the end and is on the order of "without solid secular justification". It's like the Religious Right's term "values voters", which I resent. I have values and I vote. I just don't share that many values with those voters.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 6, 2012 11:08:00 AM