Gay Marriage | News | Seattle | Washington

Gay Seattle Newlyweds Greeted by Hundreds on City Hall Steps: VIDEO

Seattle

Check out this video sent in by Towleroad reader Perry Sjogren from yesterday's first day of marriage in Washington state, shot as couple after couple emerged from being married at City Hall, walking the long runway of steps while hundreds cheer for them.

This is pure joy.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you missed it over the weekend, Dan Savage and his husband Terry Miller came down those same steps.

Comments

1. Bawling my eyes out here. Such ordinary social event, such ordinary people who just want to be part of a regular society. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Dec 10, 2012 9:20:16 AM

2. It is the older couples in the video that made me weep, knowing that a lot of them probably thought this day would never arrive. Congrats to all of them. NOM and all the other hate groups need to see this video in order for them to realize that love should never be denied.

Posted by: (the other)jamesintoronto | Dec 10, 2012 9:55:10 AM

3. Great!

Posted by: Continuum | Dec 10, 2012 9:56:53 AM

4. What a good thing.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 10, 2012 9:57:27 AM

5. Hoorraaaayyyy!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Phil | Dec 10, 2012 10:06:23 AM

6. Ditto to what JamesinToronto said above. Very moving.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 10, 2012 10:19:03 AM

7. All kinds of awesome. So much heart, hope and celebration...

Posted by: ichabod | Dec 10, 2012 10:21:10 AM

8. Bawling at work. BAWLING. AT. WORK!!!!

Posted by: AJ | Dec 10, 2012 10:35:56 AM

9. that is very sweet. too have the support of friends and COMPLETE strangers is what makes life richer. trying not to cry here...

Posted by: bostonbeat | Dec 10, 2012 10:43:04 AM

10. What? A photo op without Dan Savage in it?

Posted by: keating | Dec 10, 2012 10:49:34 AM

11. You know its fine to focus on all the fluff here, the walk down the aisle, the same sex couples on top of a wedding cake, and maybe even a big party, but this fight should really focus at least an equal amount of energy on the rights..

There is over 150 legal, economic rights and benefits which straight couples have that gay couples don't share. Pension benefits, healthcare benefits, taxation benefits (including the marital deduction which enables you to pass your estate tax free to your spouse), which we don't have.

It seems to me that had we focused on fight on the rights, vs. the fluff, we might be a little further along than we are now...just saying'...

Posted by: Tom | Dec 10, 2012 10:52:13 AM

12. First congrats to all the couples. I am sure there were lots of tears of happiness!

Hey Tom it is both. My husband and I got married in CA in 2008, no flash, just went to the court house. Partly did it as a political statement. The real rights will only happen when part or hopefully all of Doma is repealed. Personally I am not for the big parties, ect. Just give us the rights!! As a person who as worked too many wedding receptions, except for families being together the whole thing seems like a joke and a waste of money to me. Use the money for a down payment or vacation instead!! But if someone wants that "one perfect day" go for it, it should be your perfect right.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Dec 10, 2012 11:03:50 AM

13. My partner of 21 years and I were among the first to be married. It is, hands down, the best day of my life.

Posted by: Grant | Dec 10, 2012 12:00:51 PM

14. James in Toronto: Never in all my dreams did I even imagine that this would be happening anywhere in my lifetime. You're absolutely right.

Tom: This is not fluff.

Posted by: fritzrth | Dec 10, 2012 12:07:03 PM

15. you can call it what you want...i'd start the dialog with demands for the 1,138 rights instead of the party at the courthouse, or the walk down the aisle...

Read on:

Posted by: Tom | Dec 10, 2012 12:14:22 PM

16. What's the song in the video?

And Keating/Fritzrth -- you think there *aren't* people fighting on those fronts, too? The dialogue for those rights has been happening for years. This is a multi-pronged battle, not just for marriage - which isn't "fluff." Marriage is a basic human institution of utter importance. Downplaying it as "fluff" is a disservice... There are many of us working in all areas.

Posted by: M. O'. | Dec 10, 2012 12:49:18 PM

17. Found it. "Marry Me" by Train.

Posted by: M. O'. | Dec 10, 2012 12:52:04 PM

18. (Apologies to Keating/Fritzrth... I meant to type "Tom."

Tom - the above message is for you. Every. Single. Step. Matters.

Posted by: M. O'. | Dec 10, 2012 12:54:48 PM

19. My partner and I went to City Hall to watch. We'd already seen the live feed on the Seattle Channel. Being there was fascinating. The wedding parties entered on the other side of the building from the stairs so they had no idea of the crowd on the steps. It must have been stunning to discover people cheering, flowers, birdseed, bubbles, and, for the two hours we were there - music. A Klezmer band, the Orkestar Zirkonium played for a couple hours, followed by the lovelies in the video.

The other aspect was that most of the cheering people were straight and many came from miles away to experience the event.

A couple miles away Seattle First Baptist Church had a free wedding for 25 couples and a reception in the fellowship hall - 400 people, or so. Churches in at least 10 rural communities hosted weddings.
    There were weddings at the symphony hall (Benaroya) and the Paramount Theater. It was quite a day.

Cultural experiences like these shape a community. Every TV station featured stories and all the anchors, including a meteorologist, gave their happy congratulations. I'm certain that many people who only thought about sex when they thought about gay people have a new, wonderful, image of us. You can't buy good PR like this.

Posted by: Dan B Seattle | Dec 10, 2012 3:58:18 PM

20. Tears. At my desk.

Posted by: reality | Dec 10, 2012 5:56:09 PM

21. Absolutely wonderful! I'm glad the parties entered on the other side - such an amazing response as they left. I've been involved with church weddings for more years than I care to admit. It has, unfortunately, left me somewhat blase - but this event was really something.

Seattle First Baptist Church is affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, which is obviously liberal and does allow freedon for its member congregations - unlike some other Baptist organizations we know all too well about.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 10, 2012 7:32:50 PM

22. My spouse and I traveled from our home in the Midwest to be married at City Hall in Toronto, Canada when it became legal there in 2003. We saw it as a political act in response to the Republican push to amend the constitution to ban equal marriage. When the minister finished with the vows he said something to the effect that we would return to our home and take care of each other for life. The meaning of marriage really hit and although our marriage was not legal in the U.S. it was still meaningful to us. In April 2009 our state supreme court ruled that all Iowans had equal marriage rights. The joy of being equal citizens was wonderful. This video brings that all back.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 10, 2012 9:39:24 PM

23. I cannot even begin to say anything better than what the posters have already said. Watching this vid was a wonderful thing and an experience I never imagined I would have. Congratulations to all the couples!

Posted by: Goodcarver | Dec 10, 2012 11:07:59 PM

24. That's MY HOMETOWN!! I grew up there the first 14 years of my life, and am just bursting with pride and happiness for all the couples, for the city of Seattle, and the great state of Washington, where my dad and so many loved ones still reside.

My partner and I've been married 3 times now (once in a church wedding, twice at city halls), so he asked that we wait until the Supreme Court weighs in (or Oregon joins the pack) before we do it again; nonetheless, I'm so euphoric seeing this. Mazel tog!!

Posted by: Dback | Dec 10, 2012 11:41:49 PM

25. Beautiful! I teared up.Smiling ear to ear.Oh wow.

Posted by: Miguel | Dec 11, 2012 1:15:49 PM