Gay Youth | Hurricane Sandy | New York | News

In Five Days, Jacob Tobia Will Run Across the Brooklyn Bridge in Stilettos for Homeless LGBT Youth: VIDEO

Tobia

Duke University junior Jacob Tobia is putting on his best heels this Saturday for NYC's Ali Forney Center, which was devastated by Hurricane Sandy.

Writes Tobia: Tobia2

Many of you know me for my gender-bending style and fabulous high-heels, and to help out the Ali Forney Center, I'm putting them to good use. If I can raise $10,000 by Saturday, December 15th, I will run across the iconic Brooklyn Bridge--which is over a mile long--in 5" stilettos. So if you want to see me do the impossible, donate to my campaign and encourage your friends to do the same. 100% of donations will go directly to the Ali Forney Center, and all donations are fully tax deductible.

Watch his warm-up video, AFTER THE JUMP...

And help him out here.

Comments

1. how nice i'm down for running in heels for a good cause. ^_^ more info please.

Posted by: Alexander | Dec 10, 2012 11:19:32 AM

2. No matter how awful the world seems at times there are still some brave and wonderful folks in it. Thank you, Jacob Tobia.

Rick probably looks fab in stilettos--even at age 54. White queens usually have nice legs.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 10, 2012 11:22:56 AM

3. How can one make a donation to support this wondrous cause?

Posted by: Anita Pill | Dec 10, 2012 11:24:01 AM

4. It is sad to think we need to help good children who have been thrown out of their house just because they want to love some one of the same sex. The anti-gay Christians have brain washed the parents of these LGBT children so much that they abandon their own living flesh and throw them out to die. How evil are these anti-gay Christians who would do this kind of thing? Surely they are not Christians but doing the work of the devil. These confused parents need to be arrested for endangering their own children and also arrest the anti-gay Christians who have brain washed these parents and charge them with the crime of being an accessory to a crime of child endangerment. What these anti-gay Christians are doing is criminal and they need to be stopped before they kill another child with their madness and hate.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 10, 2012 11:26:06 AM

5. He said the magic words!

"100% of donations will go directly to the Ali Forney Center"

Posted by: sparks | Dec 10, 2012 12:16:22 PM

6. Nice shot of the new WTC in that vid.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 10, 2012 12:30:59 PM

7. Jacob Tobia: Helping gay youth by mocking them.

Posted by: Jan | Dec 10, 2012 12:50:39 PM

8. @Jan

How is he mocking gay youth? I must have missed something.

Posted by: Bhem | Dec 10, 2012 1:17:45 PM

9. Drag trivializes everything it touches. He should have just done the run without the minstrel show.

Posted by: Wynn | Dec 10, 2012 1:20:05 PM

10. @Wynn - running across the Brooklyn Bridge with sneakers on is easy and is done everyday. This is something different and fun to raise money.

Posted by: TyN | Dec 10, 2012 1:38:50 PM

11. He will of course be deducting his podiatrist bills.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 10, 2012 2:09:57 PM

12. Love how a man wearing heels brings out the anti femme trolls.

Posted by: MateoM | Dec 10, 2012 3:46:33 PM

13. honey, you had betta WERK! :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 10, 2012 3:53:02 PM

14. The guy is doing something, he's got my respect.

But I sincerely hope Ali Forney Center gets properly audited on a regular basis. Have a heart, but think with your head.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 10, 2012 3:57:26 PM

15. Ratbastard -

Even though I object to the drag minstrelsy of this guy, I can tell you that the Forney Center is well run. They are audited annually by the federal government and they got excellent results. I have no problem donating to them, and I don't have to denigrate myself wearing women's shoes to do so.

Posted by: Wynn | Dec 10, 2012 5:41:07 PM

16. Yes, I was looking at the WTC myself. Wondering how it will fit in to the skyline. Will it become iconic?

Posted by: Gary | Dec 10, 2012 6:40:20 PM

17. @Ratbastard and Wynn - go f*ck yourselves... with a cactus. When you get off your lazy, whining, hateful asses and do something as worthwhile as Jacob is doing THEN you can open a mouth.

Jacob, honey, when you're done I'll have the first-aid kit ready for you.

Posted by: Mommie Dammit | Dec 11, 2012 12:48:33 AM