Towleroad Talking Points: My Mom Thinks I’m Sexy

6a00d8341c730253ef017ee5e061c5970dPHOTO OF THE DAY: The Man of Steel is all tied up.

BY SAM GREISMAN

A look back at today's top stories

POLITICS

Still no word from the Supreme Court today regarding if they will take on DOMA or Prop 8 cases. Our Ari Waldman tell us what that means and what might be next.

Mitt Romney has finally found a gig, post-election failure. He is headed back to Marriott. Let's hope he stays there.

ENTERTAINMENT

Les Miserables doesn't hit theaters until Christmas but, the studio has released five new clips of some of the songs from the adaptation. Last night my mother, Sally Field, appeared on Oprah's Next Chapter and among other things called me "sexy". Awkward.

The founder of LOGO has launched an LGBT-themed YouTube channel. The channel will feature shows from a variety of LGBT friendly personalities. On the heels of J Crew featuring a gay wedding in their "Wedding Album", JET Magazine is running a gay-wedding announcement in their December issue. Also check out the trailer for the gay-themed Five Dances.

And I don't know if this qualifies as "entertainment", but William and Kate are expecting a royal baby!

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

This time-lapse video of planes landing in San Diego is bizarrely beautiful.

So first the gays told straight guys that they would marry their girlfriends if they didn't support gay marriage. Then the straighties said "go ahead". Now the girlfriends have something to say about all this. Also dolphins may be developing a taste for human flesh.

Comments

1. Cecilfirefox says

Ha, I never knew one of the authors here was Sally Field’s son. Now, that should be a blog post in itself!

2. vwdavy says

sam, i love your column! what great experience for you. parents will only continue to do this forever, so get used to it. it can be fun, too.
    reset her ring tone on her phone to her Oscar acceptance speech, and have everyone in your family call her for some funny giggling. and, if what a read is true, lots of swearing on your mother’s part as well.
    cheers! davy beam

3. Mark says

Sam, your mom is lovely.

My mom passed away not that long ago and seeing you guys makes me miss mine a lot. Yeah, even the embarrassing moments.

And, you’re just being modest.

4. says

Sam, I wouldn’t call it awkward. Look at it this way: she publicly displays her excellent taste in yummy!

Yummy family.

5. Caliban says

LOL. This is part of what I posted on the original article.

“When I saw the clip of her talking about her son, I couldn’t help but think how horrified I’d be at my mother calling me “sexy.” That’s right up there with passing around naked baby pictures.”

6. Midwesterner says

Sam, I have to admit that I cringed a bit at her using the word “sexy.” I like your mom a lot (at least from my limited perspective relative to her public persona), but I think that’s an inappropriate comment for any parent to make about a child. Happening to be a famous movie star does not excuse or exempt her. Boundaries are boundaries.

Her saying it so publicly of course makes it worse.

I would imagine that whole “my mother happens to be Sally Field” matter is a definite mixed blessing, honestly. I don’t on balance envy the children of very famous people. In some cases, it can be a horrible misfortune (Ethel Merman, Jr. comes to mind).

In any case, I’m enjoying your work here on Towleroad. Good stuff. I wish you well.