Film | Star Trek

Watch The Teaser Trailer For 'Star Trek Into Darkness': VIDEO

StarTrekDarkness

The official full-length Star Trek Into Darkness trailer won't be released until next Friday, when The Hobbit comes out, but this teaser for JJ Abrams' second crack at the beloved franchise gives fans plenty of bits and pieces to chew on.

Watch Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew battle a new villain rumored to be wrathful Khan AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Rumor I heard was that the villain is Gary Mitchell. The statement that the villain was someone from within Starfleet seems to support that better than Khan (unless they completely rewrite Khan's history of being from the 20th century). The new blond women featured in the trailer also looks a lot like Elizabeth Dehner, from the same episode.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 6, 2012 9:42:02 AM

2. Not a Trekkie at all. But the last movie was so awesome I can't wait for this one. Looks dark, like it has a bad ending or something ala "Empire Strikes Back". Plus Chris Pine...

Posted by: AJ | Dec 6, 2012 9:48:03 AM

3. Yea, it's definitely Mitchell.

Posted by: JohnnyP | Dec 6, 2012 9:53:32 AM

4. We should all commit now to stop using that awful title. Let's just all call it "the new Star Trek movie."

Posted by: Kirk | Dec 6, 2012 10:26:28 AM

5. Love Anton Yelchin

Posted by: David in NYC | Dec 6, 2012 10:47:40 AM

6. It appears they're not bringing back Bruce Greenwood as Admiral Pike. Pity. That guy's a dilf.

But I'll still be there on May 17 to see it.

Posted by: Hank | Dec 6, 2012 10:51:12 AM

7. doing nerd happy dance

can't wait

Posted by: Moz's | Dec 6, 2012 11:07:40 AM

8. Happy Happy Joy Joy...

What if it's the immortal Flint?

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Dec 6, 2012 11:12:32 AM

9. Thought the first one was dreadful -- a complete negation of everything Star Trek stood for. This one looks even worse. Include me out...

Posted by: Bob | Dec 6, 2012 11:16:06 AM

10. Don't think it's Flint. He really never wanted to destroy humanity or Starfleet. He mainly wanted to be left alone.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 6, 2012 11:18:26 AM

11. Hate to show my trekkie-ness, but pretty sure Khan was killed in "Wrath of Khan"(if a mega-explosion where bits and pieces were all that was left is any indication).

That would be one hellova re-write to Trek history, if they bring him back. Perhaps some evil genius gathers his DNA and clones him?

Posted by: johnny | Dec 6, 2012 11:23:45 AM

12. Let's all agree to go enjoy a picture show sans Bob, since he doesn't enjoy movies anymore.

Posted by: Josh | Dec 6, 2012 11:27:28 AM

13. @Johnny- The new series is an alternate timeline, so in the new timeline, the Botany Bay has yet to be recovered.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 6, 2012 11:28:48 AM

14. I love Benedict Cumberbatch!

Posted by: Quest | Dec 6, 2012 11:34:57 AM

15. Johnny, the entire series was rebooted in the first movie. All of the original villains can make an appearance since they're still alive in the new timeline.

Posted by: Elliott | Dec 6, 2012 11:36:41 AM

16. I enjoyed the first one but found it doesn't hold up to repeated viewings like the TV shows. I've been waiting impatiently for another though. Probably something to do with all those dreams of Zach and Chris having zero gravity sex. That IS going to happen this time, right?

Posted by: stranded | Dec 6, 2012 11:36:47 AM

17. Cumberbatch. Ugh.

Posted by: Glenn | Dec 6, 2012 11:42:07 AM

18. I am beginning to be worried that it IS Khan and not Garth of Izar, which is the theory I've heard that makes the most sense.

Having said that, none of the theories make much sense. I'm no PC policeman, but it doesn't seem appropriate to cast a white man as Khan. I really hope it is not Khan for many, many reasons.

Gary Mitchell was already dealt with in the official Star Trek comic. That leaves Garth, of the theories I've heard.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 6, 2012 12:50:14 PM

19. Star Trek used to be thought provoking. This one looks like overkill, boring, recycle, lots of explosions to attract first time viewers without honoring the great legacy of the late Gene Roddenberry. He had a vision of a unified humanity with equality for all.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Dec 6, 2012 1:02:29 PM

20. I love people who are like "battles and explosions and planets blowing up are a complete negation of everything Star Trek is about!" Have these people seen the first show called Star Trek? Wars were common. Planets were devastated routinely. Genocides happened. (Kirk himself was said to have survived a genocide as a young man.)

Posted by: Scottevill | Dec 6, 2012 1:20:41 PM

21. BTW, @Hank--Bruce Greenwood *is* in the movie. Looks to me like he might get blown out of a chair and killed in the trailer, which features Kirk eulogizing someone at a big Starfleet memorial service. Probably his mentor. In terms of the hero's journey/monomyth, it's time for him to lose his mentor...

Posted by: Scottevill | Dec 6, 2012 1:22:13 PM

22. Um, it's a movie. The various television series had lots of opportunity to do some thought-provoking sci-fi drama, but that has never been the strong suit of any of the Star Trek movies. And understandably so - with 2 hours every few years, instead of 1 hour per week.

I really enjoyed the first of this re-boot series, but agree it doesn't hold up too well. Too many silly plot devices that could have been easily fixed with any attention to the script. Oh well, I loved it the couple of times I saw it in theaters ... so I'll be there for the new one with the stupid title. If only to watch Pine and Quinto have zero gravity sex!

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 6, 2012 1:41:21 PM

23. The reboot movie was terrible. Keep your expectations very low.

Posted by: anon | Dec 6, 2012 1:43:54 PM

24. @Matt: "I'm no PC policeman, but it doesn't seem appropriate to cast a white man as Khan."

Why not? If you've ever been in Pakistan, for instance, you'll meet some citizens who look "European" due to their distant relatives including members of Alexander the Great's army, or maybe the British due to the British empire. With prejudices hopefully dropping with time, in the future we may have less correlation between last names and facial or other features currently associated with particular ethnic groups.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 6, 2012 2:16:42 PM

25. Thank God they aren't messing with Khan. This reboot is bad enough without them screwing up that.

I don't see how the villain could be Gary Mitchell.
    Cumberlatch's eyes would be silver.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 6, 2012 2:17:08 PM