Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

West Point Chapel Holding 1st Gay Marriage Today

WestPtChapel

It is a happy weekend for Brenda Sue Fulton and Penelope Dara Gnesin. Not only are they tying the knot, but they're making history as the first same-sex couple to do so in military academy West Point's chapel, USA Today reports. Such an event would have been forbidden under Don't Ask, Don't Tell:

Fulton, a veteran and the communications director of an organization called Outserve — which represents actively serving gay, lesbian and bisexual military personnel — confirmed in an e-mail to USA TODAY Friday night: "We will be the first same sex couple to wed at the Cadet Chapel at West Point."

The wedding will be the second gay marriage West Point has hosted. The first was a small, private ceremony last weekend between two of Fulton's friends in a smaller venue on the campus.

The women would have rather married in New Jersey, where they live, but as we all know, Gov. Chris Christie put personal political ambitions ahead of equality when he vetoed that state's marriage equality bill. The women say they didn't want to wait any longer: Gnesin has triumphed over breast cancer but still suffers from multiple sclerosis.

"It is wonderful for us to celebrate the recognition that New York state will give our marriage, [but] there is also some regret that we can't get married in our home state," Fulton told the paper.

Comments

1. Did they invite John Boner? He would have passed out.

Posted by: simon | Dec 1, 2012 8:07:34 AM

2. Fulton has long since left the military. So DADT wouldn't necessarily have forbidden it in her case. They would still have refused though.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 1, 2012 9:32:53 AM

3. Congratulations! Equality under the law feels amazing!

Posted by: FlexSF | Dec 1, 2012 11:04:39 AM

4. I can hear the screaming already.

Posted by: John B. | Dec 1, 2012 12:25:06 PM

5. Take note all you GRUBS (Gay Republicans) - this is only happening because the DEMOCRATS got the balls to fight for us.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 1, 2012 4:23:38 PM

6. Take note all you GRUBS (Gay Republicans) - this is only happening because the DEMOCRATS got the balls to fight for us.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 1, 2012 4:23:45 PM

7. Change has come to America!!! I send all of my best regards

Posted by: Della M. Richardson-Counts | Dec 1, 2012 8:02:34 PM

8. I guess happiness comes in all forms but I dont think God ordained this. Good luck

Posted by: A kind woman | Dec 2, 2012 8:22:47 AM

9. Look at the comments on yahoo news, a lot of sad people out there!

Posted by: billmiller | Dec 2, 2012 9:10:15 AM

10. BILLMILLER: Yahoo News is where I go JUST to read the comments and be amazed (and yes, often horrified) to see that there are people who actually think and will say certain things that nobody I personally know would EVER say. (Under cover of anonymity, naturally)

YouTube is good for that too. But morbidly fascinating as it is, I try to limit how much I look at stuff like that. Too much exposure can be mentally and emotionally warping; I start thinking one of these freakish people might be behind me in line at the grocery store or in the next office at work, and it's creepy.

Posted by: Booker | Dec 2, 2012 12:19:33 PM

11. BILLMILLER: Yahoo News is where I go JUST to read the comments and be amazed (and yes, often horrified) to see that there are people who actually think and will say certain things that nobody I personally know would EVER say. (Under cover of anonymity, naturally)

Posted by: Booker | Dec 2, 2012 12:19:40 PM

12. It will really be a sign of significant change when two male active duty Navy Officers are married in that chapel.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 2, 2012 9:07:52 PM

13. I know what two male Naval officers I'd like to see get married in that chapel! (hint: their names are Andrew and Nick) ;-)

Posted by: Sue Fulton | Dec 3, 2012 12:41:14 PM

14. According to the link, no chaplain at the chapel was allowed by their denomination to marry them. They had to import a friend from Dover Air Force base who is an Episcopalian. That would mean he celebrated a civil marriage in a religious setting.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 4, 2012 11:29:38 AM