Andrew Rannells | Girls | News | Playing Gay | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Andrew Rannells is a 'Purebred' Gay

Rannells

[SPOILERY]

NY Mag's Vulture caught up with Andrew Rannells at the Cinema Society screening this week and asked him if he's ever, like his gay character Elijah will in Girls, experimented with a woman.

Said Rannells:

I personally have never had sex with a woman. I'm more of what you call gold-star gay. I'm purebred. So I knew it wasn't my thing, so I was like, Why do that? So I didn't.

Vulture seemed startled by the word 'purebred'. Added Rannells:

In my circle of friends, it's used. Like, "Andrew, he's a purebred." Yeah...I feel like I'm in the minority for a lot of gay men. Most of my friends have tried [having sex with a woman] at some point....Although, I have a lot of friends who, actually, after they've realized they're gay, they feel empowered in a way that they do some things that they didn't think they would do, like explore some things because they're a little more comfortable with who they are.

Anybody have any other names for 'purebred' or 'gold-star' gay?

Comments

1. Up until 2007 (and 45yrs of age) I was the total gold star gay - never been in a vagina either for birthing or f*cking.

One thing I have wondered, on a technicality, if in royal circles the definition of a consummation of a marriage was the penis not only penetrating a (usually virgin) vagina but ejaculating inside and if the marriage was annulled because there had been no ejaculation inside the vagina, could a gold star gay boy claim the same "virgin" status by saying, "I stuck my cock in, jigged it about, nothing happened." Well, that's me. Have stuck it in, jigged it about, nothing happened.

(And, dear god, don't ask me about oral... no way Jose! Ever!)

Posted by: Perkin Warbeck | Jan 15, 2013 6:36:39 AM

2. Unicorn!

Posted by: Jeff Shelby | Jan 15, 2013 4:47:43 PM

3. UNICORN! Thought that was more universal.

Posted by: downright | Jan 15, 2013 4:51:04 PM

4. I'm a gold-star all the way, though i hate these classifications and the heterophobia, misandry, and misogyny they evoke. I love looking at lovely ladies, but have little to no desire to bed with them.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jan 22, 2013 8:14:42 PM

5. Exclusive.

Posted by: jleo71 | Jan 26, 2013 2:48:50 PM

6. Perkin Warbeck, you pretender.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 28, 2013 1:02:55 PM

7. Who needs a special name for never having had sex with a woman? Someone who is insecure enough that they need to find another way to be better than someone else.

Posted by: kelehe | May 10, 2013 9:08:35 AM

8. Never wanted to. Some of my best friends are female.

Posted by: GB | May 14, 2013 6:46:30 PM

9. Back in the early 80s, I remember a couple of T-shirts available by mail order:

"I'm Kinsey 6 - Perfect Score"

and

"I'm a Kinsey 5 - hey, nobody's perfect"

Posted by: Gary47290 | May 25, 2013 12:28:15 PM

10. I never wanted to, so I never did. I did decide I didn't want to miss my Prom so I asked a "little Catholic girl" to go with me. How did the the rumor get started that little Catholic girls are repressed and innocent? It's a damn lie! Still shudder thinking about her and her little cat-tongue! Comedy ensued, with the gay boy having to defend his virtue, and I was by no means a virgin in the gay sense. It wasn't pretty. Funny, maybe, but not pretty!

I did like Andrew Rannells in The New Normal, though I didn't care much for the show itself. I hope we see more of him.

Posted by: Caliban | May 25, 2013 12:58:01 PM