Azealia Banks | Bullying | News

BigGayDeal.com

Azealia Banks Calls Perez Hilton A 'Faggot,' 'Worse Than A Girl'

Banks3

Singer Azealia Banks refused to back down after calling Perez Hilton a "messy faggot" in a Twitter argument. According to the bisexual entertainer, "faggot" should not be used to mean all gay men, just certain types of gay men, those who act like girls, which is worse than actually being a girl, an affliction Azealia seems to deem lamentable. Hilton told her, "You drag while others choose to uplift!"

(Read the Banks' obscenity-laden Twitter drip stream of consciousness AFTER THE JUMP.)

Banks4

Rather than immediately labeling Banks a homophobe, something we know the AP would never do, Rich Juzwiak at Gawker prefers the term "troll," as in someone who speaks "recklessly" to get a rise.

As a troll, Azealia's primary function is to speak recklessly… None of this is to say that she should be using the word "faggot." I have a painful history with that word, in this case it didn't offend me but I cannot fault those whom it did. However, there are so many other factors at play while Azealia is on her e-stage that it seems a waste of time to launch a crusade against her when there are simply unmistakable homophobes, scared gay kids who need friends and lonely older gay people to tend to.

As careless as her communication may seem, it's possible that Azealia knows what she's doing — building a foul, brash legacy.

Banks6

Read more from Banks AFTER THE JUMP.

Banks1

Banks2

Banks5

[Screenshots via BuzzFeed]

Comments

1. Evolution has its hiccups.

Posted by: Gast | Jan 5, 2013 11:34:44 AM

2. Happy to say, I don't even know who this person is. An apology would be meaningless at this point--it would be an empty gesture, not truly reflecting what's in the person's heart. And I do love that she (She? I gather "Azealia" is female?) is semi-literate (the examples are numerous) and calls Perez Hilton a "dum dum." That's a type of bullet, honey. The word dumb is spelled... oh, never mind.

That's way too much time defending Perez Hilton. He already gets too much attention!

Posted by: Jess | Jan 5, 2013 11:47:46 AM

3. So, an online fight between someone I've never heard of and someone I couldn't care less about? Absolutely fascinating.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 5, 2013 11:55:02 AM

4. It's not about Perez. If she were just insulting Perez, that would be that. But her tweet explicitly condemning men who act too much like females is hate speech. Does it mean she's a bisexual homophobe? Not necessarily, but people should not get a free ride just because we like them or suspect they're probably not die-hard homophobes or because we think they're talented in other ways.

Also, Rich's assertions about what trolls are and building a brash, foul legacy are very interesting and I know what he's getting at, but then I would say: What is the difference between her, Eminem, etc., and, say, Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter? And are the words used by the latter harmless if they deep inside don't believe them considering how many of their rabid followers do? Doesn't Banks provide the same ammo to her own followers?

I just think she should be called out for what she said and what it means.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 5, 2013 11:56:53 AM

5. Does her tweet:

"your a dum dum... You're worse than a girl"

prove that in addition to being bisexual she is also bi-grammitical. She got the "you're" right once and wrong once in the same tweet. LOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 5, 2013 12:05:45 PM

6. Perez had no problems hurling that word at will.i.am, so... a bit hypocrite to play the lonely defender of the LGBT commmunity.

Posted by: Wolfgang | Jan 5, 2013 12:20:13 PM

7. Look, I don't think it's OK for anyone who isn't queer male to use the word "faggot," just like I have no right to use the n-word. It's not appropriate.

Posted by: Mikey | Jan 5, 2013 12:21:56 PM

8. Never was a fan of either. But, sadly, this just made me lose respect for both of them.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jan 5, 2013 12:24:18 PM

9. depressingly, she's regurgitating the same nonsense that keeps many other actually-gay men from every getting past Stage 2 of their velvet rage...

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 5, 2013 12:35:42 PM

10. Wow. A flame war.

This is not noteworthy in any respect.

@Lil' Canadian,

I understand this is hard for you to accept, but not all homosexual or bisexual males are effete and campy. We are not all into Lady GaGa, antiques, broadway shows, radical 'progressive' politics and 'advocacy'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 5, 2013 12:43:15 PM

11. I want to register my disgust at any news-site giving publicity to these two fame-whores who have already had their 15 minutes of fame and should fade into obscurity (last year already) but by posting my distress, I am giving them the attention they so urgently desire. Can't win.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 5, 2013 12:43:27 PM

12. oops...or Bauhaus! The band or the school!

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 5, 2013 12:51:55 PM

13. Ratbastard, I'm sure that the list of things you hate is far longer. Why not entertain us all with your disgust for all the things you can't stand? I too don't like any of the things you list aside from political advocacy, but I don't wave it as a point of pride. Who cares what other people enjoy?

Also, when did Bauhaus--band or school--become a gay obsession?

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 5, 2013 1:10:16 PM

14. Not sure of the point of defending Perez Hilton. He's created his ENTIRE career being inappropriate. He has used the term and even worse. Should we give her a pass? No but people only care because he's white. Hilton makes racists, homophobic and ignorant comments all the time. Both of them need attention and they got it.

BTW I'm not a fan of Perez Hilton. I would have used a different derogatory word though...

Posted by: Drew-Shane | Jan 5, 2013 1:19:44 PM

15. I think it is so funny watching all the gay men who bashed Fantasia a week ago for a statement that was clearly not homophobic, now defend Azealia's AWFUL remarks about Perez Hilton's loose anus and effeminate behavior. Perez is trash, but that doesn't begin to justify Azeilia's remarks. She proved herself to be a massive idiot, or a massive troll...but really, what is the difference?

Posted by: Thomas | Jan 5, 2013 1:54:27 PM

16. I think it is so funny watching all the gay men who bashed Fantasia a week ago for a statement that was clearly not homophobic, now defend Azealia's AWFUL remarks about Perez Hilton's loose anus and effeminate behavior. Perez is trash, but that doesn't begin to justify Azeilia's remarks. She proved herself to be a massive idiot, or a massive troll...but really, what is the difference?

Posted by: Thomas | Jan 5, 2013 1:54:28 PM

17. Regardless, Azealia contributes more to this world than perezita.

Posted by: Reeno | Jan 5, 2013 1:57:57 PM

18. i'm getting kind of tired of this double standard. someone that you like uses foul, indefensible language like this, and your takedown of it sounds almost like praise.

any goodwill i had towards banks has evaporated.

Posted by: Sully | Jan 5, 2013 3:01:15 PM

19. I couldn't give a flying f*#k about Azalea or Perez, or any other faux celebrity for that matter, but it is meaningless for us to claim empowerment by owning words such as faggot and queer if we still get up in arms when someone outside of the community uses them. They are only words and only have as much power as we allow. To truly disarm the terms you have to be able to treat them the same way regardless of who uses them. I am as unfazed by a straight person calling me faggot as I am when I hear it in a gay bar.

Posted by: Kenneth | Jan 5, 2013 3:59:46 PM

20. Wow, I feel like I'm at a bear event.

Posted by: ARK | Jan 5, 2013 10:27:51 PM

21. Let me get this straight: according to this "Azaelia" person, misogyny is ok? It's ok to hate effeminate men? She can't just dislike PH for something he did, she has to include him in a suspect group? Sounds like an attention whore who deserves no place of prominence in the public sphere.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jan 6, 2013 6:49:15 AM

22. Perez Hilton IS a messy faggot. Banks was just the wrong messenger dishing it out.

Posted by: Oops | Jan 6, 2013 9:13:00 AM

23. Worse than a girl? Azealia Banks is obviously a sexist bigot and a transphobe as well as homophobic. Shame on her for being a female misogynist and letting down womankind!

Posted by: Becky | Jan 6, 2013 9:42:47 AM

24. I agree. Perez Hilton is a messy faggot. I had almost forgotten about him until I read this post. Does anyone still read his site? I stopped over a year ago. Anyhow, I'm more appalled by Azelia's grammar than her use of the word faggot.

Posted by: Donny | Jan 6, 2013 11:32:27 AM

25. Messy c*nt, anyone? After all, there are lots of them around. Oh, I'm sorry. That terminology doesn't promote "Civility in Public Discourse"? Civility in public discourse is a two-way street, which I'm sure will become increasingly plain in the coming years. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, no?

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jan 6, 2013 11:57:31 AM