Gay Portland Couple Celebrates 60 Years Together, Gets Awesome Interview in ‘The Oregonian’

Woodworth

For a series called Northwest Love Stories, Jennifer Willis at The Oregonian interviews Eric Marcoux, 82, and Eugene Woodworth, 84, who will celebrate being together for 60 years in June.

Here's part of it:

Q: What advice would you give to new couples today?

Marcoux: God, that's just a terror of a question. To know it's not easy, and leave if it's toxic. Wait long enough to know whether or not it's toxic or just a pain. And be in love with love.

Woodworth: The main thing that I come back to is commitment. You have to decide from the very beginning whether it's going to be a committed relationship for a long period or if it's just going to be as long as it lasts. Which is what most people do. They fall in love with lust instead of love. And they think that when the sex starts getting bad, that's the end of the relationship. That's the beginning of the relationship! That's when you start working on it.

Q: What's the biggest lesson about love and partnership you've learned along the way?

Woodworth: It never lets up.

Marcoux: To be more gentle toward my own vulnerabilities and to his inadequacies, because they disappoint him as well as me. Oh, that didn't make any sense at all.

Woodworth: You never were worried about disappointing me.

Marcoux: Oh, God, I'm going to leave him right now. May I get a ride?

Woodworth: Yeah, teasing is part of it.

Read the full interview HERE.

Comments

1. Sargon Bighorn says

WOW! Just amazing. This is what so many Gay men need to learn. Not to fall in love with LUST, but with commitment and lo e. And you know what else, look at how wonderful they looked when they were young. So handsome. But they aged. Like you are doing. And now they are in their 80s and still have love for each other.

2. Patrick and Chuck says

We haven’t read the whole interview yet, but as another couple in Portland (but only 22 years together), so far we agree with everything they said. Including the part that didn’t make any sense. Especially the part that didn’t make any sense.

3. TampaZeke says

Behold, NOM’s worst nightmare!

These gentlemen are glorious! I can only hope that my 20 year relationship survives another 40. Actually, I have no doubt that my relationship will endure as long as my husband and I do.

4. Lars says

This is one of the most fantastic and inspring things I have read in a long time. As a 30-year-old gay man, engaged to be married later this year, I need people like Eric and Eugene to help show me the way. I admire their love and commitment; it is the sort of thing my fiance and I aspire to emulate.

And I agree, the part that didn’t make any sense made perfect sense.

5. John says

Thanks for posting the interview. I met these gentlemen a couple years ago here in Portland, at an event for the “Gay and Gray” community. They were so warm and thoughtful, you could really feel the depth of their commitment to each other. Vibrant, funny, and inspiring.

6. andrew says

What a beautiful testimony to the reality of lifetime same sex love. They indeed should be held up as role models in this time when gay marriage is becoming a reality.

7. candideinnc says

23 years ago, my partner and I started dating. We went to a gay B&B in DC near Dupont Circle, and stayed with two gentlement who had been together 15 years. That seemed to us like such a long time to be together. It was a blink of an eye. Forever is a long time, and not long enough.

8. Jeffrey in St. Louis says

@Patrick and Chuck

You’re right. The part that didn’t make sense actually made the most sense of all.

(13+ years together here)

9. Ernest1960 says

What a fantastic couple, what a fantastic interview! We’re halfway there (31 years) and it’s never been better. Actually getting married this month (in Maryland).

10. ThomT says

As half of a 35 year partnership I can say that, for me, the most accurate and touching statement in the interview was “To be more gentle toward my own vulnerabilities and to his inadequacies, because they disappoint him as well as me

When you truly love someone you willingly look beyond those inadequacies and vulnerabilities. Unconditional love must be just that, unconditional.

11. says

Wonderful wonderful interview.

And as inspiring are all the comments from guys who’ve (like me) been in long-term (well, short-term compared to Eric and Eugene!) relationships and recognized the line about inadequacies that Eric thought didn’t make sense actually made the most sense of all! So much of what they said sums up what it means to be in it for the long haul.