Chris Culliver | Football (American) | News | NFL | Sports

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver Faces Media After Anti-Gay Remarks: VIDEO

Chris_culliver

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver faced members of the media this morning following outrage over remarks he made in an Artie Lange radio interview that a gay teammate would not be welcome on the 49ers or in the NFL, and a half-hearted apology that followed.

Asked how he is feeling, a sullen Culliver replied: "Just emotional, that's it...Apologetic."

Culliver was then asked what he was thinking when saying those things: "I was really just ... not thinking. It was something that I thought, but definitely not something I feel in my heart."

Culliver said he had spoken with Coach Jim Harbaugh, who earlier said he "rejected" the player's remarks: "We talked privately... about the whole situation...just to learn and grow from it....like I said that's not what I feel in my heart, and he understands that."

Culliver was then asked if he would welcome a gay player, and gave this response: "If it is ... it is...everybody's treated equally in the locker room."

He said that he had not addressed his remarks with the team: "I'm not trying to bring anything trashy to the team."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Culliver also talked with SI, and says he has gay relatives:

“It’s been very difficult because I’m a little disappointed,” said Culliver of the past 24 hours or so. “(People think) that I don’t like homosexuals and I don’t support gay communities and things like that, which I do. I have gay relatives who I talk to, not on a daily basis, but I do and I support them.”

Culliver’s teammate, Donte Whitner, said that he had a brief talk with Culliver to tell him what to expect at Thursday’s media availability. Whitner also said that “I guarantee (Culliver) has learned his lesson now.”

While the 49ers have distanced themselves from the remarks, there has been no reaction from the NFL, which, at this point means they condone Culliver's homophobia.

Earlier updates...
It's Time for the NFL to Do Something About Homophobia: VIDEO
Signorile: NFL Must Suspend Chris Culliver for Anti-Gay Remarks [tr]
Outed Former SF 49er Kwame Harris Denounces Culliver's Anti-Gay Remarks [tr]
SF 49er Chris Culliver on Anti-Gay Remarks: 'I Apologize to Those I Have Offended' [tr]
SF 49er Chris Culliver: Gays Not Welcome in the Locker Room or the NFL - AUDIO [tr]

Comments

1. Fake apology under duress.

Posted by: jason
    --------------------------

Posted by: Oliver | Jan 31, 2013 2:30:09 PM

2. I guess and hope he has learnt a valuable lesson.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 31, 2013 2:32:39 PM

3. @ Tom's "Bigoted N word"

Oh, my that w-trash f-word said the n-word.

Oh, my.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 31, 2013 2:34:28 PM

4. Media whore always go for that pound of flesh.

And truly insecure people always over react to stupid remarks.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: ToddKnows | Jan 31, 2013 2:39:25 PM

5. @Tom. No, YOU are the defination of bigot. @Moderators. Wake up! Do your damn job and clean up the racist shyte. Or should we infer that you approve of dropping the N..Word but not the F... word?

Posted by: hypocrisy galore | Jan 31, 2013 2:55:38 PM

6. This guy is almost illiterate. Tragic that the South Carolina Gamecocks claim he was an "honors candidate". Maybe he has received more education in the last day than he ever got at SC.

Posted by: Luke | Jan 31, 2013 3:02:58 PM

7. "whoever those 2 fellows are" LOL

Ayanbadejo is a linebacker for Baltimore Ravens who, in case you don't know, will be facing off against the 49ers this Sunday in the Superbowl. Chris Kluwe is punter for the Minnesota Vikings. Both guys are straight and have been incredibly outspoken in favor of marriage equality and gay rights generally. Both are examples of exactly what you refuse to acknowledge: Change is coming to pro sports. In your mind, those guys don't exist because all pro sports athletes are straight and homophobic. But these guys do exist, Blanche, they do.

Again... "whoever those 2 fellows are" LOL

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Jan 31, 2013 3:05:28 PM

8. Sorry to pile on NULL but straight men like to see other guys nude as well....they love to compare and show off.
    and that comment a bit homophobic (or self loathing)
    This whole Chris Culliver basically threatened any openly gay team mate..."they gotta get up outta here"...or what?
    You gonna do something about it? Sorry that's sh^t talking and someone who is looking to get his balls kicked in.
    And the 49ers have dropped the ball on this situation.
    I'd like to see this guy go down on the field Sun and get is ass kicked hard.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Jan 31, 2013 3:31:54 PM

9. his career is over in S F win or lose sunday.........

Posted by: steve | Jan 31, 2013 3:44:04 PM

10. Why does noone talk about the GAY PLAYERS who already are on the team who are still too cowardly to come out? Everyone wants to run around screamng out over paid, coddled athletes and then turn around and scream how there are gay player already, yet those same over paid, coddled GAY athletes are still given a pass to be COWARDS. Yes, let's jump on this guy but say nothing about the gay players who make MILLIONS themselves yet for some reason are scared because someone doesn't like them and therefore they get to stay in the closet and we all pat them on the backs. Then again, this is the same community that bent over backwards excusing people like Anderson Cooper, Neil Patrick Harris, Matt Bomer, Jodie Foster and others who stayed in their comfortable closets for years while we made excuses....but let's attack the black athlete because it makes us feel powerful. When this fake outrage is directed at the cowards who still cower in the closet then then back to me....just fake outrage...and Signorile and Savage and their ilk can bite me....too busy kissing up to closeted celebrities while pretending to be activists. Pathetic.

Posted by: FakeOutrage | Jan 31, 2013 4:32:59 PM

11. @Ryaninwyo

You made my point for me. You can't name a singe team member who is out. Your reading comprehension is very poor. I said the straight athletes are all homophobic. I never said there were no gay athletes. I implied they exist and are in the closet. Those two are obviously in the closet but would like to come out. They know better than to do that because they know how violently straight athletes hate them. So what if I didn't know who a couple of football players are, or that they play the "49ers" whenever. I don't rot my mind with that cr@p. Sports are for mentally retarded @ssholes. The fact that those two won't ever come out of the closet is proof that athletes don't change. Sports are mentally corrupting.

@MCNNYC
    your reading comprehension is also very poor. I never said straight guys DON'T like to see other guys nude. I said straight homophobes hate the fact that gay guys would check them out in the locker room. They do. It They have said as much.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 4:39:27 PM

12. It is stupid and egotistical to think that because a man is gay he must be checking you out. The gay athletes, and there are a lot of them, are PROFESSIONALS. They get paid millions of dollars and can have all the sex they want with men who idolize and sexually desire them. Do you seriously think they will jeopardize their career and millions of dollars for a peek-a-boo at a teammate? Even your hottest coworkers become unattractive once they open their mouth or their hotness becomes the norm.

Homophobia is not only rampant in sports, it is also covertly seeded in some gay men on this forum.

Posted by: truthteller | Jan 31, 2013 4:52:41 PM

13. FAKEOUTRAGE: You are the one with the "fake outrage". How do you know there are even any GAY players on his team? You are blaming others who have nothing to do with this. He made the comments and he has to take the heat. Nice try with the "black athlete" overtones. He is not being criticized because he is black...he is being criticized for making stupid remarks. Stupidity comes in every color, sex, nationality and sexual orientation. You have a beef with these other celebrities and are trying to put the focus on them. Yet, they came out publicly. I don't see you putting your name on this website and standing up for the cause.

Posted by: MATTMAN | Jan 31, 2013 4:59:06 PM

14. @NULL: what do you think goes on in a lockeroom at a regular gym? Should we ban gay people from those too because they may leer at the straights? You make no sense.

"Sports are for mentally retarded @ssholes." You sir are a misinformed fool and I feel sorry for you.

Posted by: MATTMAN | Jan 31, 2013 5:03:38 PM

15. MattMan, it doesn't matter whether there are gay players on HIS particular team, but there ARE gay players in the NFL. Why aren't we outraged that they come out? Why do they get a free pass? You can go crush someone's skull at 300 pounds but you're afraid someone may call you a name? That's pathetic. And yes, I named those celebrities as an example of the hypocrisy within the gay community...we want to get this fine fired from his job, yet not a word is said about other high profile gays who cower in the closets with nothing to lose. And yes, I do think race plays a LARGE part in who we direct our "fake outrage" towards.

Posted by: FakeOutrage | Jan 31, 2013 5:08:29 PM

16. It's a new world @Nullnaught (where's Mary?), you're just behind the times. Straight athletes aren't all homophobic. It's very uncool. Many straight guys love being ogled. Have doubts, surf the web, dude. And gay men have plenty of ogle material without ogling their colleagues. The straight guys who worry about being ogled by every gay guy on the planet are usually the least ogleable and most insecure. But you seem set in your fantasies.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 31, 2013 5:11:01 PM

17. @Truthteller

Of course such beliefs are stupid and egotistical. I have been ascribing those beliefs to straight athletes. I hope you understand I do not hold those beliefs myself. But as long as straight athletes hold those beliefs, it doesn't matter what the truth is; they aren't going to allow them to be out in the locker room.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 5:14:03 PM

18. @Mattman

I obviously hit a sore spot. I imagine you love sports and hate books.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 5:20:00 PM

19. FAKE: actually it does matter when YOU made an issue of it. "Why does noone talk about the GAY PLAYERS who already are on the team who are still too cowardly to come out?"

Those celebrities came out. Period. Move on. What do they have to do with this? You want players to come out, yet you keep harping on celebrities who actually did come out and still criticize them. You can't have it both ways. You criticize for not coming out and still criticize when they do have the courage to do so. I think you just want to b*tch.

Not everybody wants him fired.

Posted by: MATTMAN | Jan 31, 2013 5:21:27 PM

20. @Ernie

Hi. I hope you are well. I hope you know I don't hold those beliefs myself. If you bothered reading what I write carefully before you comment you won't ascribe to me beliefs I do not hold. I said straight athletes hold those beliefs. They do. They say as much.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 5:23:27 PM

21. No, actually it was your "retarded" line that struck a sore spot. It shows what little class you have. I have never played sports, have no interest in sports and I love to read. But thanks for playing. I suggest maybe you do some reading and actually learn a thing or two.

Posted by: MATTMAN | Jan 31, 2013 5:26:03 PM

22. "Straight guys aren't going to watch gay players any more than they will watch women players. It doesn't fit the image the avid sports fan wishes to project."

Analogizing gay men with women is the core of the problem with some of you.

Start thinking of yourselves as men, behave like men, and demand that other men respect you as men....and all our other problems will solve themselves.

Continue to think of yourselves as being "like women" and nothing will ever change, nor should it.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 31, 2013 5:27:28 PM

23. Do you really think there is a substantive difference between a gay player on his team coming out and a gay player on ANY team coming out? I don't think you do.

And clearly you are not understanding the point of "fake outrage". Sure, these celebrities came out, after years of hiding. The gay community wasn't at all outrage, yet some random ball player makes a homohobic remark and everyone demands his head on a platter.

I think you know exactly the point I'm making, but to admit to it requires an honest dialouge in the gay community and we have proven time and time again, we are not up for that. So continue on slaying paper dragons

Posted by: FakeOutrage | Jan 31, 2013 5:28:28 PM

24. No, I don't know what point you are making because you aren't making one. You are pointing fingers at celebrities who have nothing to do with a man who made stupid comments about gay people.

Apparently you weren't paying attention because Anderson got nothing but flack by gay people for not coming out. Same with Jodie Foster. Yet when they did, they STILL got criticized with their "faux outrage". Don't believe me? Do a Towleroad search and see some of the childish and mean things that were said about them when they came out. THEY CAME OUT. GET OVER IT.

Again, YOU made the point about there being closeted guys on his team. You did.

Posted by: MATTMAN | Jan 31, 2013 5:36:53 PM

25. @Mattman

You know way too much about the subject of sports and who the players are and what teams exist to claim a lack of interest. You are a substandard liar. You are obviously interested in sports enough to know who these people are and debate with Fakeoutrage on the subject of what teams have out players, if any. I have no idea of such things because I actually have no interest in sports. Me thinks you doth protest too much...

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 5:45:39 PM