Bill Cunningham | Fashion Men | New York | News

Memo from Bill Cunningham: Casual Fridays for Men are Over - VIDEO

Cunningham

The NYT fashion 'Man on the Street' icon Bill Cunningham says he's noticing something out there in men's fashion he hasn't seen since the early 1950's.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Bill Cunningham is great. I enjoy listening to his voice its like listening to my grandma with her thick Rhode Island accent.

BUT

Subtle... disheveled.... Sir Bill I think you need to look up these two words. Fur has not been subtle since the 80s.

Posted by: Patrick | Jan 9, 2013 11:39:17 PM

2. I can understand that more people should try to dress nicer, but this goes into "trying too hard" territory. Plus it's too f***ing hot in Florida to dress like that, even in the winter.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jan 10, 2013 12:24:49 AM

3. I wear the "yellow work gloves" because they are warm and butch and when you live out west here in Canada you can either look like a farmer or trendy.....LOL The manbags in this shots are far too over the top anywhere but NY or Montreal.....

Posted by: Darrell | Jan 10, 2013 4:02:39 AM

4. LMAO @ this video. Congrats for these few men in Manhattan. As someone who lives in the real world, I can assure you, casual Fridays are not gone for 99% of men out there.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Jan 10, 2013 8:23:05 AM

5. Boring rich white guy New York fashion. Yawn.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 10, 2013 8:43:55 AM

6. Mike in the Tundra, as a fellow tundra dweller, around here a T-shirt with sleeves is considered dressing up. I can't remember the last time I even wore a belt much less a tie.

Posted by: Butch | Jan 10, 2013 9:02:52 AM

7. Every day is casual Friday in Seattle. ;-)

Posted by: jay_max | Jan 10, 2013 9:23:02 AM

8. i personally welcome this fashion trend, why... because people come to work looling like they just woke up out of bed, there is no effort on men's part!! even an overweight person looks more professional and well groomed in a suit!! sorry but its true. and wearing a suit puts you in a work mode, wearing jeans makes you play on facebook all day!!

Posted by: tommyboy | Jan 10, 2013 9:38:56 AM

9. I appreciate folks trying to encourage others to look nice, but I get tired of the "rules" that get foisted on we commoners by "those who know." Someone wrote a really snotty article last year about ties, and basically said that men should only wear solids, stripes, or polka-dots, and in subdued colors; no bright hues or patterns, and never, ever any sort of "fun" or novelty ties. From our "bite me" department...

Posted by: Dback | Jan 10, 2013 10:01:55 AM

10. Every season, the fashion industry proclaims that Suits Are Back because they make more money selling suits. Pitiful nonsense sold by the fashion industry to people with more money than sense.

Posted by: Tony | Jan 10, 2013 7:45:46 PM

11. LOL, Tony. (Like Hallmark trying to come up with new "holiday$" all the time).

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 10, 2013 11:02:45 PM