Defense Secretary Leon Panetta Lifts Ban on Women in Combat

Panetta

Opening thousands of front line positions, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has lifted the ban on women in combat, the AP reports:

"The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule banning women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta’s decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women."

Developing…

Comments

1. SFshawn says

This is a good thing?
    How about ALL the Congress and Senate members be required to sacrifice one child OR one spouse to serve on the front lines to “fight and protect” our country?
    Maybe,JUST MAYBE, then they would understand that war is never,EVER worth the cost? How does a woman who murders children on the front lines of military action reconcile such actions with her own children or being a mother?
    This is a sad day for the USA.

2. Jay says

SFSHAWN…I agree with you on the question of getting us into wars to begin with and that no one should have to risk life or limb unless we all are at risk.

That said – while it continues to be a sad day for the USA when we continue to send our young people into dangerous situations, this is a really good day for women who have always butted up against patriarchy and condescending males who are trying to protect a woman from murdering children. How does a man who murders a children on the front lines of military action reconcile such actions with his own children or being a father?

If you are saying there should be two different standards, then the sad day belongs to the misogynistic males who no longer can pound their chests as the sole warrior in the household.

3. Barb says

@SFshawn,
    “How about ALL the Congress and Senate members be required to sacrifice one child”

Try having a reasonable and logical debate.
    Our military has been voluntary for quite some time now. No one is being required to join.

4. JohnAGJ says

Jay: Start mixing “rights” into combat and that’s an excellent recipe for people losing their lives in far greater numbers than what we see now. I’m not completely opposed to the idea of opening more roles to women who are capable of doing the job, but this approach concerns me.

5. JohnAGJ says

Funny you should talk about “two different standards” when women are most definitely NOT held to the same physical standards as men and never have been.

I take it that this isn’t misogyny in your eyes, Jay?

6. JohnAGJ says

Jason: Frankly, regardless of this policy change women should be subject to the draft just like men are. Even if we don’t open up more combat roles for them there are plenty of other roles that have to be filled during wartime. I forget the exact ratio but I think it’s 2/3’s support staff are generally needed for that 1/3 that sees combat. Keeping them out of the draft I would agree is misogynistic.

7. Paul R says

I hope they’ve made it easier to register for the draft. When I turned 18 I was at college in Boston and they insisted that I go to a post office in VA. Such a hassle. I hope that today you can do it online or at least by mail.