News | Sports

ESPN Airs Gay Pro Bowler Scott Norton Kissing Hubby After Win: VIDEO

Bowling

Gay pro-bowler Scott Norton beat out five-time champ Jason Belmonte at the 2012 PBA Chameleon Championship in Las Vegas in November, but the event wasn't aired until yesterday on ESPN.

While there was a time when ESPN would have shied away from addressing Norton's sexuality and, even more, his marriage to Craig Woodward, Outsports reports that the Disney-owned channel was completely supportive:

Scott Norton won the event over Jason Belmonte and afterward broke down and cried in memory of a friend who had died. He was then shown kissing his husband, Craig Woodward, as they exchanged affectionate words (video below). During the telecast, ESPN’s announcers referred to Woodward as Norton’s husband or spouse.

JW, a gay bowler who runs iabowling.tv, also offered a report on the broadcast:

It was nice to see the telecasters step into the 21st century and treat Scott’s homosexuality as just a matter of fact and not a sensation. The focus was upon how well he was playing. They did mention that Scott came out after his win in 2011 during the telecast... His accomplishment is notable because this is his second win and that makes him a rising star on the PBA tour, who happens to be gay and married to a man. Just good stuff all around.

Watch video of Norton and his husband celebrating the win AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Awesome! WTG Scott

Posted by: Dave in PA | Jan 2, 2013 10:19:44 AM

2. So sweet. Congratulations to Scott!

Posted by: Robbie | Jan 2, 2013 10:21:46 AM

3. Wonderful. This is also a huge step, ESPN is wathced mostly by men, who may have stereotypical views to gays.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 2, 2013 10:32:36 AM

4. Awesome win. You go Scott!

Posted by: G | Jan 2, 2013 10:42:44 AM

5. If Lance Bass and Matt LeBlanc had a baby....

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Jan 2, 2013 10:50:53 AM

6. Please! Weeping? I think I might throw up. It's bowling for chrissake! Note to Scott: can the tears and man up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 2, 2013 12:20:55 PM

7. @jamal49

Maybe one day when and IF you ever accomplish anything that you worked so hard for you will understand.

In the meantime, shove that butch attitude into my pillow and take it like a man.

Posted by: Qj201 | Jan 2, 2013 1:12:51 PM

8. I bet his husband kisses his balls for good luck.

Posted by: they're big ones | Jan 2, 2013 2:15:54 PM

9. Disappointing that the announcer failed to identify who the person was that Scott embraced. The average viewer was probably bewildered.

Posted by: SC David | Jan 2, 2013 2:17:59 PM

10. jamal49; Can you man up and stop being stupid

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 2, 2013 2:23:32 PM

11. Thanks for picking up the story.

His name is spelled wrong in the headline and link though; also, Jason Belmonte's title count is also wrong (he has 5).

Posted by: Danny | Jan 2, 2013 2:28:22 PM

12. What a great video. Would have been nice for the announcer to mention his partner, but it wasn't necessary. Can't imagine anyone thinking it was his "bro" he was kissing, hugging and crying with...

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jan 2, 2013 3:27:15 PM

13. sweet. nice to see a bit of the emerging "post-gay" world.

"It was nice to see the telecasters step into the 21st century and treat Scott’s homosexuality as just a matter of fact and not a sensation."

i don't know why i don't bowl more often. i have fun every time i do.

Posted by: ian | Jan 2, 2013 5:15:58 PM

14. I also thought it was a little odd that they did not even make mention that his husband came up to him and embraced him with a short sweet kiss. They mentioned the other guy's wife, but at least they didn't turn the camera away...so I guess we will take that as progress.:-/

Posted by: GLAW2014 | Jan 2, 2013 7:32:49 PM

15. JW is not the person who runs iabowling.tv, that's a totally different person!

My name is Jaime, I am the gay bowler that cover bowling and does Behind the Scenes shows for ESPN.

Also Jason Belmonte does not have 48 titles! That's a totally different player.

Posted by: Jaime | Jan 2, 2013 8:53:52 PM

16. And the guy who lost was not gay too? Why then did I get such a Mista Sista vibe from huh?

Posted by: Loco | Jan 2, 2013 11:17:21 PM

17. Tears for success? A bad thing? Jamal49 - you suck.

Posted by: AZEXPAT | Jan 3, 2013 1:24:12 AM

18. I think I'm gonna throw up! If I had small children watching? Two dudes kissing, yuck!
    Okay, flame me now (as if you will change my mind), besides I won't be back to read them anyway!

Posted by: phill | Jan 3, 2013 8:27:54 AM

19. Go away, PHILL, before someone drops a house on you.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jan 3, 2013 11:16:16 AM

20. @Phill. I hope that posting your comment was as thrilling to write as it was to read. Coming to a gay website just to post this homophobic comment must have taken a lot of courage! Although I suspect that you come here more often then you like to admit? Maybe for the male model pictures? A click or two, no one needs to know, right? Just a hunch. Happy trolling!

Posted by: Miguel R. | Jan 3, 2013 11:20:25 AM

21. I chatted with Scott after his win take a listen and let me know your thoughts. http://above180.com/exclusive-scott-norton-after-his-2012-chameleon-championship-win

Posted by: Tim | Jan 3, 2013 5:39:55 PM