Fantasia Barrino | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Fantasia Barrino Clarifies Her Week-Long Instagram Rant

Fantasia Barrino talks to Starpulse, in hopefully the last chapter of her recent Instagram kerfuffle:

FantasiaFirst of all, my words were taken out of context! After being personally attacked on my Instagram account, I was simply trying to respond and say we live in a world where things are becoming more acceptable…thank God! I was using gay marriage as an example of other matters by trying to say that people are becoming more accepting of gay marriage, of weed being legalized in some states etc. all as a comparison to the personal aspects of my life. However, my question really was ‘Why are people still judging me?’ It was not that I was trying to judge anyone. Anybody that knows anything about my history should know how I have been judged and talked about negatively from the first day that I hit the American Idol stage. However, I am not a judgmental person and never will be. I like to see people do what they enjoy and be with the person they enjoy being with. The LGBT community has been, and still are to date, my biggest supporters. Now...how you doin'?!

Wondering what she's been up to aside from ranting on social media? Her latest single, "Lose to Win", which samples The Commodores' "Night Shift", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I take her at her word. When she first hit the AI stage she didn't know how to read or write. She's come a long way, but may still stumble in articulating her points. She's fine by me!

Posted by: reality | Jan 8, 2013 8:45:50 AM

2. Personally, I do not think that adultery should ever be acceptable, because someone actually gets hurt.

Unlike two consenting adults that have their love legally protected.

Posted by: Blake | Jan 8, 2013 8:46:08 AM

3. Utter liar. She is trying to cover up her religious based bigotry. This wasn't an example of her words being taken out of context.

Posted by: paul | Jan 8, 2013 8:47:27 AM

4. I'd tweet her and tell her how I feel about this, but I'm not sure if she could read it.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Jan 8, 2013 9:02:10 AM

5. I'd tweet her and tell her how I feel about this, but I'm not sure if she could read it.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Jan 8, 2013 9:02:11 AM

6. who is she again, and why should I care what she thinks?

Posted by: Donald | Jan 8, 2013 9:15:51 AM

7. Are we really still talking about this? Move on please.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 8, 2013 9:25:37 AM

8. Paul, you don't know that. She's just a young, maybe not very smart, woman who was unprepared for fame. Maybe she'll learn something out of this. People change. Soften up a little, man.

Posted by: sam | Jan 8, 2013 9:29:54 AM

9. Lol, nice try. It's called p.r.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 8, 2013 9:31:03 AM

10. I believe she is telling the truth and is sincere. Her tweet was an unfortunate example of what happens when minimally literate people try to communicate in written word. I don't say that in a mean way but in a matter of fact way. Where she went wrong was placing the phrase, "The world is [sic] gone MAD!" DIRECTLY before her statement about "gay marriage" and "weed" and then immediately following it up with the statement about things against the Bible. She truly was trying to make the point she says she was but it was done in such a sloppy, mangled, grammatically screwed up way it was very easy to misinterpret her intention.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 8, 2013 9:35:56 AM

11. everybody she really do love gays she was at gay pride

Posted by: ras | Jan 8, 2013 9:36:46 AM

12. OK Sam..perhaps that was a touch harsh. Just posted that after an espresso ! Apologies....

Posted by: paul | Jan 8, 2013 10:01:44 AM

13. Not buying it. This uneducated fool needs to just shut up and go and die in obscurity somewhere.

Posted by: danswon | Jan 8, 2013 10:03:18 AM

14. Why is she even a thing? All she did was win some washed up contest not based on talent but who has the saddest story.

Posted by: Will | Jan 8, 2013 10:05:48 AM

15. I believe her. I believe she's sincere about not judging others because she really has been hurt by what other say about her (look at the comments on this post).

I agree with Tampazeke. She's just not very eloquent. It's not just her, either. With Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, people -- not just celebrities -- instantly say what's on their mind without really thinking about what they're saying or how they're saying it. (Again, one need only read the comments on Towleroad to see that.)

What she posted -- because it was all over the place -- took a bit of deciphering anyway, so I'll take her at her word. It's not as though she said something as blatantly homophobic as Azealia Banks (whose music I still haven't given the time of day anyway).

Posted by: Jay | Jan 8, 2013 10:13:17 AM

16. @ Sam

What does her being "young" have to do with anything? First of all,there are intelligent young people in this world who do alot more good than many of the bitter old queens who read this blog. Secondly,she comes from what we can assume is a ghetto upbringing and is apparently ignorant to the world outside of "tha hood". It's her background,not her age that is the problem. That doesn't excuse her ignorance in any way but at this point she is not worth the discussion or time.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Jan 8, 2013 10:25:24 AM

17. Wow ! How much mileage can she get out of this? Will it ever end?

Posted by: bambinoitalianoba | Jan 8, 2013 10:44:09 AM

18. Just who the heck is she, and why should I give a rat's a** what she says about anything??

Posted by: Onnyjay | Jan 8, 2013 10:58:07 AM

19. GHETTO TRASH!

Posted by: Jerome | Jan 8, 2013 11:10:48 AM

20. Don't we have bigger things to worry about?

Posted by: dh | Jan 8, 2013 11:51:50 AM

21. We want people to be supportive and understanding of us and our cause, yet we trash others. We'll never get the type of support that we want with the current mentality that many of us have. Referring to her as "ghetto trash". Really? I bet you're the first one offended when someone uses 'faggot'. We've got to do better. All of Us.

Posted by: James | Jan 8, 2013 12:03:24 PM

22. And yet AGAIN.. she still doesn't say SHE supports GAY MARRIAGE.. she is avoiding commenting on her personal feelings towards it because her initial hate rant was actually her true feelings..

Posted by: scott | Jan 8, 2013 12:18:48 PM

23. She did say she supported, this is not the entire interview!!

Posted by: James | Jan 8, 2013 12:24:10 PM

24. "I am happy that the people in the LGBT community are now becoming legally respected and allowed to marry who they love. You should be able to spend your life with the person you want to, protect them and be protected as well… legally!"

Posted by: James | Jan 8, 2013 12:31:55 PM

25. Fantasia sounds a lot more sincere and coherent here than she did last week. Hopefully she'll learn from this and choose her words more carefully before she posts them on the internet.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jan 8, 2013 2:20:44 PM