Crime | Football (American) | I'm Gay | Kwame Harris | News

Former NFL Player Kwame Harris Charged with Attacking Ex-Boyfriend

Kwame Harris, a former offensive tackle for the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders, was scheduled to appear in court today on charges he attacked his ex-boyfriend in a dispute over soy sauce and underwear, the Daily Journal reports:

HarrisHarris, 30, is charged with felony counts of domestic violence causing great bodily injury and assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury in the Aug. 21, 2012 incident. He has pleaded not guilty but was held to answer after a preliminary hearing last fall. He is due back in court today for a pretrial conference to either settle the case or confirm a jury trial hearing.

The man, Dimitri Geier, is also suing Harris civilly for assault, battery, false imprisonment, negligence and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Harris and Geier were no longer involved when the fight took place, according to Harris' attorney:

Harris was to drive Geier to San Francisco International Airport but instead became upset when he poured soy sauce on a plate of rice, according to the suit filed in San Mateo County Superior Court. The men argued for approximately seven minutes and Harris said he would no longer take Geier to the airport, the suit states.

As the men left to remove Geier’s belongings from Harris’ car so that he could instead take a cab, Harris tried pulling the other man’s pants down and accused him of stealing his underwear, according to the suit.  Geier unsuccessfully tried pushing Harris away but the bigger man shook him violently and punched him in the arms, the suit states.

Harris was arrested at his home following the fight, which sent Geier to the ER.

Harris' attorney says his client was acting in self-defense and claims Geier's suit is an attempt at extortion.

Harris has never publicly said he is gay.

Comments

1. Hmmmm. "I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating soy sauce" may have a future.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 28, 2013 9:12:17 PM

2. I myself get upset when I see someone pour soy sauce on rice, but I don't hit them!
    Erm... I mean, spanking is not same as hitting, is it ?
    Well, I somehow to learn how to teach them the right way to eat rice ! LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jan 28, 2013 9:45:18 PM

3. How I would love to see Rick lecture these guys on how their fights are girlie.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jan 28, 2013 9:52:39 PM

4. Tuaolo had a brush with a domestic violence suit. IIRC he was cleared of the charges.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 28, 2013 10:04:04 PM

5. Rick for the Oscar!!

Posted by: Kissyfur | Jan 28, 2013 10:40:41 PM

6. How pathetic that BullyKiwi spends all his time on here screeching "Show the URL! PROVE that you're gay by showing your blog URL!!!!!" but resorts to using Rick's name to spout even more of his nonsense.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 28, 2013 10:52:36 PM

7. Shut up Rick... The gay community doesn't want you.. I say that as a man who doesn't "act" masculine or effeminate.. I am me, and I'm too old to put up with losers like you who constantly need to push other people's buttons in order to feel 'valued"... If you want your hand held, try asking that poor woman who gave birth to you.. When are we going to stop catering to these 'damaged' men who can't seem to get over the fact they grew up gay? I, for one, am sick of allowing these people to constantly whine about how life has been hard for them.. It was hard for us all, but we dusted the chips off our shoulders and got on with life... Try it...QUIETLY

Posted by: Rd | Jan 28, 2013 11:09:31 PM

8. @David Hearne: I wouldn't care about it either if I hadn't been to that restaurant. Can you imagine a nearby fight just as a waiter is handling the final step in preparing sizzling rice soup? The possibility of someone crashing into the waiter and having boiling liquid splattered is, shall we say, disconcerting. Same for any dish that requires flames at the table (think "hot pot").

I'd say throw the book at the guy - his fight could have injured people just sitting there eating dinner. If they had to fight, they could have just spent 5 minutes or so and walked over to Burgess Park, or they could even have held the fight right outside the police station, which is near that park, to save the police the effort of driving over to the restaurant to nab them.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 28, 2013 11:14:55 PM

9. I second and third Zlick. Making fake comments is incredibly childish.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 28, 2013 11:54:05 PM

10. PAUL -that's KIWI for you, he does it all the time with RICK, the one man he is most intimidated by. He does it to me and others as well, one of the reasons we call him Frankenfag, utterly disfigured by his laughable parasitism.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 29, 2013 12:22:45 AM

11. Some important information missing in the article here.
    More details at:
    It seems that they were having dinner at a Chinese restaurant before going to the airport. His boyfriend poured soy sauce on his rice for some reason. That is not a nice thing to do.
    Bill, they just argued at the restaurant. The fight took place at the parking lot.

Posted by: simon | Jan 29, 2013 12:50:57 AM

12. Uffda, clearly LittleKiwi is not afraid of closet case Rick.

Posted by: RedOnTheGreg | Jan 29, 2013 1:27:57 AM

13. A man gets his eyes bashed in and all you ditzy queens can talk about is the sexuality of the alleged assailant. You truly are screwed up as a community.

Posted by: jason | Jan 29, 2013 2:22:00 AM

14. Now this is just sad. I see the aftermath of excessive violence all to often in my line of work(ER doc). I don't know the size of his ex, but him being 6"7 and 300+ pounds, he could've easily killed his ex, and for what? What a disgraceful way to come out. But hey, us gays are the same anyone else. Maybe even more embracing of macho things trying to prove that we're real men. If homosexuality wasn't shunned, and gay people wasn't forced to live in a lie, it would all be so much better. I know that i would've been much worse of a person if i weren't out. Anyhow, I do hope that it works out for the better for everyone involved.

Posted by: Big doc | Jan 29, 2013 3:54:22 AM

15. I am told that the Chinese don't pollute their rice with soy sauce. It's considered in poor taste like putting catsup on your T-Bone Steak.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jan 29, 2013 4:12:38 AM

16. This whole thing is dumb beyond belief. You are going to hit someone for putting soy sauce on your rice? Why are you putting soy sauce on someone else's food? Let THEM season their OWN food. It works much better that way. Underwear? Gay men arguing over underwear? OMG! Like we don't already have three drawer-fulls of underwear at home! Let him keep the stupid paid he is wearing! Pulling down his pants in public is a no-no, unless it is Pride Weekend, or if you are in a sleazy gay bar...then, it is perfectly o.k.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jan 29, 2013 4:37:30 AM

17. Oops...pair, not paid (at least the pair worn by the ex!)

Posted by: millerbeach | Jan 29, 2013 4:39:32 AM

18. Bill Michael:
    It is quite OK to put soy sauce in when cooking Chinese food like fried rice but poor taste putting it directly on rice. Chinese restaurants don't serve soy sauce rice because it is considered as cheap. The taste of rice is quite bland. That's why Chinese dinner usually consists of rice accompanied by other dishes which are more tasteful. In poor families, they can't afford the other dishes and can only mix rice with soy sauce to survive.

Posted by: simon | Jan 29, 2013 6:32:08 AM

19. Of course I mean ancient times. Soy sauce was cheap and mass produced. It is not the same as what you buy in supermarkets nowadays.

Posted by: simon | Jan 29, 2013 6:46:37 AM

20. Mountain Man: "I bet he can squeal like a pig.. Weeeeeeee!"

Posted by: Mountain Man | Jan 29, 2013 8:07:15 AM

21. Like we used to say, "Save the drama for your Mama."

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 29, 2013 8:22:23 AM

22. At least they were arguing over something important. Soy sauce is VERY HIGH in sodium, so I understand that argument, and NOTHING pisses me off more than stolen underwear.

Posted by: dcinsider | Jan 29, 2013 9:24:31 AM

23. Once again we see the malevolent Little Kiwi posting things in his arch enemy Rick's name. The man is a psycho!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jan 29, 2013 10:19:23 AM

24. Did this make the 5 o'clock news? ESPN?

Posted by: anon | Jan 29, 2013 10:23:39 AM

25. Do you think that we will hear from Art Smith, Scott Johansen, 2Dads, Greg Cali, USC Trojan Fan, Klein and all the other Little Kiwi sicko aliases on this issue? We can only hope and wait to be mused.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 29, 2013 10:28:36 AM