Honey Boo Boo | Lee Thompson | News

Honey Boo Boo's Uncle Poodle Says He is HIV-Positive, Pressed Charges Against Boyfriend

Lee Thompson (aka Honey Boo Boo's Uncle Poodle), reveals he is HIV-positive in an interview with Atlanta's gay magazine Fenuxe:

UnclepoodleDino: Lee, when did you find out about your HIV status?

Lee: I was adamant about getting my HIV status checked on a regular basis. On March 16, 2012, I tested negative. Then, in May of 2012 my test results came back positive. I knew it had been my boyfriend who infected me. I later learned he had been HIV positive and was not taking medication and had not bothered to tell me about it. I was advised that I should press charges and, hesitantly, I did. It was the right thing to do.

Dino: What happened to your ex?

Lee: He is serving a 5-year sentence. I would have been cool with his HIV status if he had been honest. I don’t have an issue with the disease. I would have known how to protect myself.

Dino: What is your message to folks having unsafe sex?

Lee: They are damn fools! They are playing Russian roulette; they are playing with their lives and that of their sexual partners.

Previously...
The Tao Of Uncle Poodle: Honey Boo Boo's Kinsman Speaks Out [tlrd]
A Pro-Gay Message from Honey Boo Boo: VIDEO [tlrd]

Comments

1. BABH if there is ignorance about HIV it's because it is willfull. The message is not nuanced, it is wear a condom all the time when having butt sex. You must be one of those "it takes a villagers" who think everybody is responsible for everybody. That is very Kumbaya but I don't roll like that, I believe in personal responsibility, especially for guys my age (middle). There is no excuse for ignorance at that point. If you are talking about Young MSM, then, sure I can see being part of an educational solution about that, but I'm not having sex with them. If someone asks then I will offer but I don't go around "educating" adults on HIV, I expect them to know because of the devastation you felt you had to remind me of. You see me as a monster because I don't take your responsibility away from you, which if I did would be more amoral than any non disclosure ever could be. BTW, HIV is EASIER to treat than DM, so the epidemic has changed. It is NOT a death sentence and we are NOT in the 80's.

Posted by: TooBoot | Jan 15, 2013 7:40:16 PM

2. Wow, the ignorance in these comments!

Firstly, he could've very well asked his BF if he was HIV +, and been told "no." The point is, anyone with HIV knows, by law, they must disclose their status. Stop judging, you could very well be put in the same situation.

Second, HIV testing is recommended 3 months from the last date of unprotected sex to cover the "window period," which means the time it takes for antibodies to HIV to show up in the blood. It sounds like he could have been tested too early, and that was the reasoning for getting tested just two months later. I've seen this a lot in my practice.

Also, taking medication for HIV greatly reduces the risk for infectivity. If one can get their viral load down to "undetectable," then they are at a substantially low risk for transmitting the virus. Yes, they should still have been using condoms, but there is a reason the ex is in jail - for not taking care of himself, and not protecting others.

The majority of you commenting sound incredibly uneducated about HIV, and should be keeping your ignorant, uninformed comments to yourself! Do yourselves and the rest of society a favour and get EDUCATED about HIV. Let's stop the stigma, please!

Posted by: GirlwithaBrain | Jan 15, 2013 7:57:12 PM

3. Marky:
    Over two thirds of new HIV infections occur between steady partners. When you bareback, no matter why or how often or with whom, you invite infection with HIV—and a host of other pathogens. It's just a medical fact.

Posted by: MGC | Jan 15, 2013 8:38:33 PM

4. What's so amazing about all of the horribly judgmental men on this site who are so quick to demonize HIV+ men, and would preferably throw us in jail if we fail to disclose our most recent hangnail...is that if and when you seroconvert, your tune will change on a dime.

Posted by: Asher | Jan 15, 2013 9:02:52 PM

5. Asher you are awesome!

Posted by: TooBoot | Jan 15, 2013 9:37:36 PM

6. it's really not that simple to disclose your status, I am HIV+ and have been for 20 years and haven't had sex for the past 15 years because every guy I wanted to have sex with would look at me like a leper when I said I was positive, one guy who DID have sex with me, after sex I found him in the shower scrubbing his body with a scrubbing brush like it was something dirty he could catch (even tho we wore condoms)and then never heard from him again.Its very depressing.

Posted by: Justin | Jan 15, 2013 10:26:58 PM

7. Asher's comments are scary. It's like a used car salesmen who knowingly sells you a car that is mechanically unsafe but figures it's ok if he doesn't tell you cuz you didn't ask. I agree that mature adults should know the deal and protect themselves at all times but some 17 year old kid who is being sexed up by an older HIV+ guy may not know to ask or be too clueless to assume the guy is positive. Basically Asher is saying he is such a sex pig that he will try to get it at any cost, regardless of who he hurts in the process. Lastly, I personally would not sleep with a HIV poz guy - I don't want to take that risk and I have worked too hard over the years to be super diligent about safe sex and you have not. Period.

Posted by: acevedo | Jan 15, 2013 11:31:35 PM

8. There are two things I think should be addressed:
    Legally, I think that if Person A does not ask the status of the other person B and then sseroconverts, Person B should not be held responsible criminally. If Person B lied, then clearly they should be locked up (there is a gray area on those who can claim ignorance).

Morally, I think it's imperative that the HIV+ person should disclose their status, no matter if the other party asks or not. Though I can't predic the future, if I ever become positive, I don't think I could forgive myself if I gave someone else HIV by not voluntarily disclosing my status.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 15, 2013 11:39:57 PM

9. @MGC

"Two-thirds"? that is mindblowing to me, what kind of relationships are those? I am still in my 20s I am just going to stay with condoms that stat is scary.

@Justin

That is unfair and heartbreaking

Posted by: Marky | Jan 15, 2013 11:53:15 PM

10. @Acevedo and everyone else: I've NEVER lied about my status, and I've never wanted for someone I've been with to contract HIV. I would NEVER "sex up" some 17 year old, as you put it, and put him at risk. I take care of myself, take my meds, and generally have sex with other poz men because I don't want to deal with exactly what Justin describes. I have safe sex with most men I encounter, and no, I don't always disclose my status when we're having safe sex, because there is absolutely no need!

However, it makes my blood boil to hear you say, "Lastly, I personally would not sleep with a HIV poz guy..." What this proves is: a) you don't understand that safe sex is safe; b) you blindly trust supposedly negative men rather than trusting men who actually KNOW their status; c) you're a bigot; and d) you're not that bright.

It is so sad to me how awful HIV- are to HIV+ men. Most of you have just no clue.

Posted by: Asher | Jan 16, 2013 1:12:51 AM

11. You people seriously don't think that it should be a criminal act? It's basically assault. It used to be prosecutable as attempted murder years ago. And someone blamed the South for... what? For having the same laws as everywhere else in the country? I think it's time to pick up a book or two, lads.

Posted by: Flip | Jan 16, 2013 1:32:15 AM

12. Careful, some of you on your high horses just may come tumbling down your ivory towers.

A couple in a long term relationship ought to be able to have unprotected sex. The problem is not the unprotected sex, its the lack of honesty.

I wish Poodle strength for the rough times, and courage for the good times.

Posted by: anony6 | Jan 16, 2013 2:23:14 AM

13. A$$hats like this guy are in the same category as the guys who blame the women they rape for being "too sexy". It's not their fault they didn't use common sense 40 years into the pandemic, he said ... or maybe he didn't say. Laws like he one that put the guy in jail is one reason why so many people don't get an HIV test. Take responsibility for your own life and your own status.

Posted by: Keith in SF | Jan 16, 2013 2:47:15 AM

14. I sympathize with his HIV status. And I think all countries should have a law making it a crime intentionally infected another human virus, not tell your partner status. Although I don't know what do you do to avoid abuse in he said/he said it. If not sure, use a condom, period.
    Yes, I have an impression in some areas of the lack of the story.

Posted by: cheap football jerseys | Jan 16, 2013 3:14:23 AM

15. Funny to hear all those "take personal responsibility", "every man for himself" queens (who generally tend to be poz, just by coincidence) who I'm sure have no problem asking taxpayers to help them pay for healthcare costs, meds etc. when they get sick. Why not take responsibility for that?

Sounds harsh, sure, but that what your callous disregard for human life sounds like to a lot of us...if you don't give to hoots about us, then why should we give two hoots about you?....take responsibility right?

Posted by: Ain't it Funny | Jan 16, 2013 6:09:25 AM

16. "What's so amazing about all of the horribly judgmental men on this site who are so quick to demonize HIV+ men, and would preferably throw us in jail if we fail to disclose our most recent hangnail...is that if and when you seroconvert, your tune will change on a dime.

When you've walked in my shoes for 18 years, then you can judge me. Until then, I'll live my life as I see fit, and you can do the same."

Posted by: Asher | Jan 15, 2013 9:02:52 PM

I've been HIV+ since March 18, 1993. I've got you beat for your 18 years, and you, sir, are wrong. I have NEVER had sex with someone without telling them my status, EVER. It IS your duty and responsibility to disclose your status before having sex with someone... EVEN if they don't ask outright. Anything less SHOULD BE and apparently IS illegal to do otherwise.

Posted by: theother lee | Jan 16, 2013 7:02:15 AM

17. To all you crybaby "negatives," those disclosure laws won't prevent you from getting HIV, but a condom will. Just put one on and no one has to disclose. Or don't, it's your choice, but when you seroconvert, you can gnash your teeth and flail your little arms around like a muppet, going through all the legal gymnastics to get the bad guy, but you will still be positive. How're you gonna prove who it was? How're you gonna prove intent to harm? How will it look when the defense team calls into question your promiscuous past? LOL.

Posted by: TooBoot | Jan 16, 2013 9:20:10 AM

18. Marky:
    The study is here - http://tinyurl.com/bzg7f4c
    Not necessarily monogamous relationships, but "main partners". Rates of infidelity are unfortunately quite high among gay men so it's easy to see how these numbers came about.

Posted by: MGC | Jan 16, 2013 10:25:58 AM

19. So much for taking responsibility for your "own" behavior.. ugh

Posted by: Michael | Jan 16, 2013 10:39:06 AM

20. My partner & I have been together for almost 34 years. We were separated, geographically, for several months because of work in 1988. During that time both of us had a couple of mini-affairs. Then we re-united and resumed being monogamous, stupidly not getting tested and often having unprotected sex. In 1998, my partner began to feel unwell and tests confirmed him to be HIV-positive. Unbelievably I was negative. Being a sero-different couple obviously has its difficulties. But I know that I myself could easily have been infected too - I still harbor some guilt about that. Ironically, the delay in my partner's diagnosis was a blessing in disguise. Had his seroconversion been discovered in 1989, he would have been tried on a myriad of unsuccessful treatment regimens, as it was all that was available then and through the early Nineties. As it happened, he was able to begin HAART immediately on diagnosis, as it was discovered to be effective in 1996 and changed the fate of PWA's, at least in the developed world, forever. He has now been on several regimens over the past 16 years, and his viral load has remained non-detectable for the entire time except for 2 short blips. He has, however, suffered various side effects of practically all his medications -which makes any changes necessary a sort of russian roulette. But think of the alternative... We watched dozens of close friends die horrible deaths in the Eighties.
    We now of course always practice the safest sex possible, that is short of chastity. But never did I believe in 1997 that we'd be celebrating our 34th anniversery in 2013.

Posted by: mcanto | Jan 16, 2013 10:46:16 AM

21. Why is everyone assuming that Poodle didn't ask about his partner's status? Pretty clearly he was concerned about being infected because he got tested so regularly. He would have asked, I know i would have. Indeed I always ask before I am intimate with anyone. Deliberately infecting another person is criminal. His partner knew he was HIV positive, he knew he wasn't taking his meds, and he knew that having unprotected sex with Poodle would probably infect him. That is all deliberate and dispicable. Please stop making excuses for this creep and stop blaming the victim here. Lots of guys have unprotected sex in committed, monogomous relationships. That doesn't make them stupid or wrong. IT also doesnt excuse the bad behavior of a psychopath.

Posted by: Liam | Jan 16, 2013 12:39:09 PM

22. Really fun to read the gay sociopaths again. We hadn't heard from them for ten whole minutes.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jan 16, 2013 2:15:20 PM

23. After reading through all these comments...I'm going to jerk off...today, tomorrow, into infinity. I'm done with sex...of course except with myself. You guys are freakin' me out.

Posted by: Paul B. | Sep 23, 2014 10:49:22 PM