Catholic Church | Illinois | News

Illinois Catholic Priest Calls 911 After Getting Stuck in Handcuffs: AUDIO

The Illinois Times reports on a recent emergency at the Catholic church:

DonovanThe pastor of St. Aloysius church on Springfield’s north end has been granted a leave of absence after he called 911 from the rectory and told a dispatcher that he needed help getting out of handcuffs.

“I’m going to need help getting out before this becomes a medical emergency,” Father Tom Donovan told a dispatcher who sounds a bit incredulous during the Nov. 28 call.

“You’re stuck in a pair of handcuffs?” the dispatcher asks.

“(I was) playing with them and I need help getting out,” Donovan responds.

Donovan told the dispatcher that he was alone in the rectory. It’s not clear exactly how he ended up in handcuffs or why he feared a medical emergency. His voice sounds garbled or muffled on the tape, and sources say that police discovered some sort of gag on the priest when they arrived.

(via joe.my.god)

Here's the hilarious 911 call:

Comments

1. Sounds like the Callboy finished the deed and left him to his own devices..

Posted by: manny | Jan 4, 2013 3:36:10 PM

2. The church should commend him for only playing with himself and not children.

Posted by: simon | Jan 4, 2013 3:48:24 PM

3. I was disappointed to learn that the priest was discovered with his pants on.

I'm surprised that the police were able to deal with his handcuffs. A friend and a friend of his got locked together in a pair of handcuffs. The police couldn't help them and they had to go to an Adult Bookstore which could. Fortunately for these two, they were only friends and were fully clothed.

@JackFknTwist: The use of "Anglican" in this country normally indicates a church which has left The Episcopal Church. As such, it is not a member of the Anglican Communion. You can see one such church in the anti-marriage equality material for IL: one signatory is The Anglican Church in North America.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 4, 2013 3:49:50 PM

4. Suicide? C'mon. It's going to make a pretty funny story on priest's night at the local gay bar.

Posted by: too cute to be catholic | Jan 4, 2013 3:51:07 PM

5. "Too Cute To Be Catholic " ??? LOL . That's doubtful. The leadership might be messed up, but Catholic men/boys/dudes are the hottest. From dagos and micks to French Canadians. THAT is what drives the Towles and Belonskys into a near insane hatred of them.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 4:03:38 PM

6. Art : Of course this is bullying. Unless this particular priest is an active homophobe (just belonging to the Catholic Church doesn't count enough). Otherwise, why should we be laughing at his misfortune?

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 4:08:14 PM

7. @YUPP I'm the one that's too cute to be catholic, not him!

Posted by: too cute to be catholic | Jan 4, 2013 4:10:01 PM

8. It could ALL be part of a Performance Art event.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jan 4, 2013 4:13:22 PM

9. Too : So what religion (or lack of one) are you( that supposedly provides us with better-looking men than Catholic DNA has )?

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 4:13:22 PM

10. Uh, did none of you read the excerpt Jeffrey in St. Louis posted on the first page of comments? Father Donovan spoke in SUPPORT of the anti-gay words of Bishop Paprocki.

So my sympathy for him very very limited.

However, I would NEVER say I hope he kills himself or anything like that. Really what I wish for him is that he'd open his eyes and get away from the Catholic church, which has been abusing him spiritually and psychologically since birth.

Or at least give his ball-gag to the Pope!

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 4, 2013 4:20:58 PM

11. Caliban : I don't know if that's true or not (about the excerpt you mention) but if that's the case then....okay, I won't feel bad for him getting caught that way.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 4:30:08 PM

12. @MARK and ART: The reason it's news to us? Hypocrisy. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the Catholic church. That's why.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 4, 2013 4:32:05 PM

13. Homer : Don't be so sure the NY Times has more readers than the Towleroad blog. These days the Times isn't doing so well.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 4:32:55 PM

14. Instead of calling 911, he has many other choices. Like calling a cab to go to the hospital.

Posted by: simon | Jan 4, 2013 4:39:59 PM

15. Give it a bloody rest already Yupp with the poor anti-Irish garbage. You look like a fool.

Posted by: MATTDUDE | Jan 4, 2013 4:40:44 PM

16. YOU do, Matt. The truth bugs ya.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 4:41:57 PM

17. Hey, give the guy a break. It was Satan who handcuffed and gagged him and made him call 911. SATAN, you hear? It's all part of His Satanic majesty's demonic plot to, er, um, to handcuff and gag priests. Or something.

Posted by: jomicur | Jan 4, 2013 4:43:55 PM

18. The predicament is funny. It would be funny if it happened to me--even if I didn't find it so--and it's funnier when it happens to an agent of sexual hypocrisy. If the Father is so distraught by this experience going public that it traumatizes him for life, that only speaks to the damage the Church inflicts on its priests. It's no surprise that when you try to force the natural sexuality out of human beings, they're apt to get themselves locked--in this case, literally--in compromising positions.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 4, 2013 5:07:54 PM

19. Why would a priest be playing with handcuffs? Was he planning to try them out on some innocent seminarian? Is this part of his training when he visits prisons to save souls? And yeah he does sound like he has a gag in his mouth- was this some sort of date that went wrong? Was he naked when the police found him?

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 4, 2013 5:15:20 PM

20. @Yupp- Dagos and micks?!?! I do so hope this was said in the spirit of deliciously malicious yet entirely facetious wit.

Posted by: Inor | Jan 4, 2013 5:19:14 PM

21. Goddam dagos and dumb micks. Better ?

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 5:27:44 PM

22. Much better.

Posted by: Inor | Jan 4, 2013 5:34:53 PM

23. YUPP asks: "Too : So what religion (or lack of one) are you( that supposedly provides us with better-looking men than Catholic DNA has )?"

I WAS catholic and got kicked out for being "too cute." I was "an occasion for sin" for too many in the seminary, if you must know. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. (My fault, my fault, my most grievous fault). If you're going to get kicked out for something it might as well be cuteness. But I still have my Latin!

Posted by: too cute to be catholic | Jan 4, 2013 6:05:01 PM

24. @YUPP:
    Please try to explain to us what "Catholic DNA" is.

Posted by: Dan B | Jan 4, 2013 6:21:18 PM

25. Dan : The DNA that makes them way better-looking than Protestants, at least in NYC.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 4, 2013 6:37:46 PM