Fashion Men | JW Anderson | News

BigGayDeal.com

Introducing the Man Dress: VIDEO

Jwanderson

It Brit design JW Anderson's latest collection is all about gender-bending.

Writes Daniel Tehrani at OUT:

The inspiration for his collection, titled Mathematics of Love, was the "examination of bourgeois kinkyness and boudoir perversity" -- the result, men in strapless camel bustiers, frilled bloomer-shorts, doctors' gowns complete with what looks like dishwashing gloves, a powder blue robe and kinky leather pleated dresses. Wearable? Not quite. Commercial? Definitely not, but it is certainly conceptual...

...Style.Com writer Jo Ann-Furniss says "write off Anderson as a mere provocateur at your peril; his agenda is more complex than that. The effeminacy of this collection—a kind of put-together sixties jolie madame made into a twisted jolie monsieur; think Séverine in Belle de Jour crossed with some of her kinky fantasy coachmen—is intended to reconfigure both menswear and womenswear, and to give a kick up the arse to the stale state of much of men's fashion at the moment."

In fact, Anderson is a part of a bigger movement to bring originality into the men's dress-code.

See the collection, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I would rock that black sweater with the white scissors.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 14, 2013 4:37:07 PM

2. I can never quite understand why anyone of any gender would want to dress in a conventionally feminine way. I'm very happy sticking with my daily jeans, t-shirt, and hoodie uniform.

Posted by: Vlad | Jan 14, 2013 4:37:55 PM

3. I thought at first it was a drag show! How hideous...even for women!

Posted by: Hoosier | Jan 14, 2013 4:55:28 PM

4. This is truly boring and pathetic. Every few years one of these overpaid designers decides to make dresses or skirts for men and the media give them lots of attention. Nobody ever buys any of these clothes and they were only used by the designer to get some free publicity.

Unfortunately it shows what a predictable world we live in - there is NO originality left at all. I remember at least 4 previous attempts (3 in the 1980's and one in the 1990's)to introduce skirts and dresses for men. These designers need to come up with something original if they want to try to shock us. This just makes me yawn.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jan 14, 2013 5:09:26 PM

5. Did you notice that the models had to hold up the bustiers by putting their hands in the pockets

Posted by: Bob | Jan 14, 2013 5:20:14 PM

6. That was fun to watch. I needed a good laugh after a busy day. Hope those models got paid well. When someone makes you look that silly, they owe you a big paycheck.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 14, 2013 5:23:06 PM

7. No sane man would wear such hideous clothes.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 14, 2013 5:33:13 PM

8. JW Anderson:

"Hey guys, here's a man's dress!"

Men:

"No thanks."

Posted by: johnny | Jan 14, 2013 5:44:26 PM

9. No.
    Just. No.

Posted by: Lymis | Jan 14, 2013 6:11:17 PM

10. My friend used to wear dresses, and he's straight and lived in the ghetto. It wasn't a cross-dressing thing, he just thought it was funny and was in a band. And he's a construction worker. But from the pictures I've seen, his dresses looked better than these. His killer body helped.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 14, 2013 6:34:28 PM

11. some of it works or almost works. the boots, flounces and darts don't.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jan 14, 2013 6:58:13 PM

12. Ashlyn. true that Pamela`s stori is nice... on wednesday I got a gorgeous Honda NSX from making $5718 this - 5 weeks past and just a little over ten-grand last-munth. without a doubt it is the most-rewarding I have ever done. I started this 6 months ago and almost straight away was bringing in minimum $76... per/hr. I went to this site....... BIT40.com

Posted by: Steve call | Jan 14, 2013 7:05:03 PM

13. Where's RICK when you need him?

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 14, 2013 7:30:14 PM

14. What a nightmare. One would have to be a dumb 22 year old to be found dead wearing something like that.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 14, 2013 7:44:07 PM

15. This is supposed to be high male fashion? People will actually spend money on this?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jan 14, 2013 7:49:04 PM

16. I never thought I would feel sorry for models.

Posted by: Craig | Jan 14, 2013 8:09:19 PM

17. While wearing a skirt really doesn't appeal to me, I really don't see the difference between wearing a skirt and the pants hanging below a guy's ass with their crotch down to their knees.

Posted by: macmantoo | Jan 14, 2013 8:11:22 PM

18. Why do the models have such crappy posture and walk so poorly?

Embarrassment?

I'd wear some of these. To a gay brunch. If it were April Fool's Day.

Posted by: SC David | Jan 14, 2013 8:25:05 PM

19. Well it isn't my thing but some of those models look good in them. Oh hell they look good in anything... or nothing!

Posted by: Tone | Jan 14, 2013 8:40:56 PM

20. A HOT MESS

Posted by: Marky | Jan 14, 2013 9:06:31 PM

21. She can't expect to sell more than a few pieces. Some are OK, most are not, and the people who would wear them won't be able to afford them.

Having all the models with the same robot hair and (especially) awful boots was a big mistake. So they're all different for wearing women's clothing but completely homogeneous?

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 14, 2013 9:43:50 PM

22. I guess it would save me the trouble of actually having to TELL people that I was gay....

Posted by: Chadd | Jan 14, 2013 10:55:29 PM

23. These comments are great, but CHAD's last one is the best.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 15, 2013 1:52:46 AM

24. Heinously ugly, ill-fitting, unappealing clothing that neither men, nor women, not anyone else (in between or alien) would ever wish to be caught dead in. Ugh.

Posted by: Tarc | Jan 15, 2013 3:43:17 AM

25. I don't care about the clothes but will someone please make those models some sandwiches immediately!

Posted by: Curt | Jan 15, 2013 6:22:36 AM