Bullying | News | Oregon | Portland

Bullied Gay Teen Hangs Himself in Oregon Schoolyard: VIDEO

Jadin

A tragic story out of La Grande, Oregon, where 15-year-old Jadin Bell has been taken off of life support after hanging himself in a schoolyard last week, KOMO News reports:

Dozens of people came together last week in La Grande in a vigil for Jadin, trying to understand what drove him to despair nine days ago. He came to the playground of Central Elementary School in La Grande. He climbed on a play structure and hanged himself. Someone passing by tried to rescue him. He was brought to Portland and Doernbecher Children's Hospital where he was put on life support.

Hill says Jadin was pushed to suicide after being bullied in person and on the Internet for being gay.

"He was different, and they tend to pick on the different ones," Hill said.

Hill says Jadin asked his parents to home school him. He feared turning in the bullies would make things worse. But he had found the courage, recently.

Watch KOMO's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you are considering suicide or need someone to speak with, please call the Trevor Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386.

Comments

1. AJ. You ALWAYS blame the gay person. Without fail. Regardless of circumstances. It's the gay persons' fault. You need to ask yourself why that is, because it's a severe flaw you need to work on. There is clear self-hatred there you need to work on.

And yes, location does matter, most of these suicides are occurring in smaller towns and/or social conservative areas; the same as gay bashings. So location is critical..........it goes to show the night and day existence that one gay person can have from another. You have a New Jersey teen coming out to applause and on Ellen. And then you have stories like this. As Bill said, you have your San Francisco's in California, but then you have your Orange County's. Hate is everywhere but there are clear and distinct differences between communities that are generally gay positive and those that are gay negative.

In anti-gay communities gay people are generally silenced, their issues aren't heard and aren't respected, there are very few to no out LGBT adult role models and no avenues to turn to for support and likeminded understanding. THAT is why location is a big deal. Millions of LGBTQ youth are forced to more or less suffer in silence in this country. That cannot be anymore.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 30, 2013 2:24:57 AM

2. - short Video - Beat a Bully without using your Fists! Learn why bullying happens and how to deal with it succesfully. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SvK5s-bZ3k

Posted by: Denis | Jan 30, 2013 5:20:25 AM

3. I, too, am saddend by another life taken. As a member of the American Library Association (ALA) GLBTRT (Gay Lesbian Bi-Sexual Transgender Round Table) I encourage all of my family; and, in particular, those who are experiencing or know of someone who is in torment, to visit http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/popularresources/bullying. Please educate yourselves and become involved.

Posted by: Scott | Jan 30, 2013 6:48:38 AM

4. Perhaps the Homo Robbing Committee could stop brown nosing politicians long enough to finance outreach programs to our youth to let them know there are alternatives to suicide.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Jan 30, 2013 8:37:24 AM

5. Oregon is NOT a "liberal" state! Portland (and a few other towns) are the exception, NOT the rule.

I have lived in Oregon for over 9 years and have traveled to over 70 towns all over the state for business and I can tell you that most of Oregon is a VERY SCARY place socially! The level of education is very low and the level of religious furor is very high. There is a small town on the eastern side near La Grande that has a cafe that has been closed for ages, and in that front window is STILL a sign that says, "We only have WHITE servers." WTF!?!

Portland is liberal, Oregon is NOT!

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Jan 30, 2013 9:11:09 AM

6. Will some decent Canadian in or near Toronto please put a sock or something else in Lil' C*unt's mouth? This character is by far the biggest and most obnoxious troll on here. I think most contentious TR threads are majority Lil' C trolling under various personas and answering his own troll posts. It's so obvious, it's painful.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 30, 2013 10:59:40 AM

7. I'm very sorry for this boy's suicide. It is painful to hear about. Let's be honest,folks; he must have had some serious mental health issues. Yes, bullies s*ck, I agree 100%. But where were is parent[s]/guardian? Family? Friends? I see he has a different last name from his mom, so he was raised in perhaps a so-called broken home, by a single parent? Mom by herself or with B.F. or step father? I don't mean at all to be mean or cruel, but I suspect he didn't have the best home life, and that probably played a major role in his suicide. It's VERY easy to place the blame on 'small towns' and what-not. It's a lot harder [intellectually and emotionally] to dig deeper.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 30, 2013 11:04:41 AM

8. "He feared turning in the bullies would make things worse."

That hits home. I've been there and I know countless others of you have been, too. I remember thinking to myself, after being jumped at school, "What, is the school going to expel or suspend more than 10 students??"

And in so many schools and districts we're seeing "oh, kids will be kids" and the bullies given a total pass.

Even now, with the whole Boy Scouts of America issue - there is a galling amount of anti-gay bigotry flying around. It's all over facebook, it's in every newspaper, it's on television. Grown adults freaking the f**k out and making it clear that they're the ones who are raising their children to hate their gay classmates.

Adamant that "no gays" be allowed in the Boy Scouts. Bigotry against CHILDREN.

They don't seem to care that young people are dying. Being anti-gay doesn't mean your kids will be straight. It means your potentially-gay kids will suffer massive damage to their sense of self worth, and your potentially-straight kids will likely regurgitate your bigotry, lest you think they're "f@gs" for not being bigots.

Seriously, check out the vitriol over the BSAs current "possibility of rethinking their ban on gays" and you'll see exactly what drove this young man, among countless others, to take his life.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 30, 2013 11:46:19 AM

9. @Lil' C,

It's VERY easy to place the blame [talking points+narrative] ... It's a lot harder [intellectually and emotionally] to dig deeper. Suicides are always complex and usually deeply personal in nature. People rarely if ever kill themselves over big issues or ideological talking points; it's mostly being depressed over personal reasons, relationships, home life.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 30, 2013 12:20:30 PM

10. And of course MENTAL ILLNESS...often untreated or poorly treated.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 30, 2013 12:21:33 PM

11. "This character is by far the biggest and most obnoxious troll on here." = you aren't far behind RATBASTARD.

Posted by: DEE DEE | Jan 30, 2013 12:22:46 PM

12. Perhap's Jadin's demeanor and sexual orientation really made many around him feel disjointed about themselves, which led to some finding the need to be aggressive towards him. Who they were really abusing is and reacting to is their own inertia, isn't that really the way of bullies anyway?

Then again maybe the bullying has something to do with society’s taboo towards same sex orientation as much as it claims that it is open to accepting such proclivities.

Posted by: scallywag | Jan 30, 2013 1:30:27 PM

13. It bothers me when kids whos are bullied and sometimes pushed to the brink - are called 'different'. I dunno... to me, it's just one more negative adjective in the grand scheme of this issue. Different from what? From whom? It kind of feeds the flame IMO...

Posted by: Cliff | Jan 30, 2013 1:38:16 PM

14. Well said, Scally. And spot-on.

for younger kids who can't ( or *won't*) blend in and hide they have a target on their back every single day.

and as we're seeing in Tennessee, as we saw when Michigan Republicans gutted their anti-bullying bills to allow (no joke) "Christian Kids the Right to Bully With Religious Justification" (so to speak) the message is not to protect and make schools safe for those who are different, but to protect the ignorance of the Bullies.

over and over again we've heard the parents of these children we lose state that the schools have done nothing. over and over again.

and it seems that in the legislature, the people in charge just don't care.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 30, 2013 1:40:16 PM

15. So very, very sad. May he rest in peace and may his family and friends find comfort over their loss.

May all of us find the strength to stop homophobia and anti-gay bigotry in its tracks.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 30, 2013 2:00:17 PM

16. I mean, Kiwi is totally right. Look at the conversation with the BSA right now. Look at Chick-fil-A. Look at the Don't Say Gay bill. We live in a country where a large portion of people have no problem going after children they suspect as gay and more or less tearing them down in an attempt to, I guess, take away their gayness, or punish them for being gay and making them think twice about "choosing" to be gay.

I mean, that's where we're at. This is pure, unbridled hatred. The things I'm reading right now are unbelievable. It's beyond not getting it, and more about destroying our community. Don't get it twisted, people. This is a full-blown social war, and things are clearly getting more and more out of control. The closer we come to equality, the more hate against us is going to be slung.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 30, 2013 2:24:24 PM

17. ask these folks what they'd say to their own children if they find out they're gay.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 30, 2013 2:34:01 PM

18. @Jason: This did not happen in the liberal part pf Zoregon; it happened in Union County, which, not coincidentally, voted 69% anti-gay on the 2004 ballot measure.
    If The Northwestern quadrant of Pregon were a separate state, it would be very progressive indeed, while the rest of the state would be very backward.
    There was horrifying violence that came from members of anti-gay groups during one of the previous anti-gay ballot measures. I remember a friend telling me at the time that he watched a documentary on it and then turned off his TV and cried.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 30, 2013 3:03:49 PM

19. One thing we have to be honest about as well is that there is also a lot of gay-on-gay bullying. I know when I was in junior high and H.S., the two boys who bullied me the most were gay. Of course they didn't admit it at the time but they came out much later. There is so much internalized homophobia that teenage gays find other gay people repulsive. Even among gay male adults you hear the snide comments: "He's such a flaming queen" or "He's so nelly" etc.

Posted by: tiki2 | Jan 30, 2013 11:06:32 PM

20. This is tragic, and there's nothing I can do about it except what I'm already doing.

Except…

I can sit quietly and think about the aggressive, sarcastic, belittling, insulting, bullying posts I often write online. Sitting here, right now, reading through some of what I've written in the past week, I wonder how and why it is that I often write like a toxic c*nt. I don't believe I am a toxic c*nt, and yet online, I often write like one.

Looking around here, I seem I'm in good company. I'm actually a fairly good guy. I wonder how many of you who write like toxic c*nts might also be fairly good guys.

After all, being driven to despair by others' disrespect isn't limited to young people.

Posted by: Bryan | May 4, 2013 8:09:31 PM