Azealia Banks | Donna Summer | Jake Shears | News

Jake Shears Is Not Buying Azealia Banks' 'Context' Argument

Shears1

Gay singer Jake Shears has waded into the Azealia Banks versus Perez Hilton feud, and he's definitely not standing by Banks, who blew up her gay fan base by called Hilton a "messy faggot" on Twitter.

Shears2

Banks claimed that her bisexuality, the context of her remark and a complicated hierarchy of gendered denigrations of both gay men and women, made her use of the f-word a-okay, but Shears, frontman for Scissor Sisters, disagrees, writing, "It all about context. And right now, I'm sorry, but context is not on your side." He also reminded Banks that singer Donna Summer was "ostracized" for years for her past comments about gay fans, something that may very well happen to Banks.

Shears3

GLAAD also came out against Banks. "[That] is an ugly, archaic word that was used to stigmatize a population of people who suffer high rates of violence both here in the U.S. and abroad," said Matt Kane, the group's Associate Director of Entertainment Media. "As far as we’ve come in this society, seeing it used by an artist many young people may look up to is painful, but even more so for those young fans, many of whom GLAAD has heard from."

GLAAD also offered, via Twitter, Banks an opportunity to open a dialogue that they hope will help her change her ways, or at least change her word choice.

Glaadbanks

Comments

1. What Paul R said: "[Perez] says nasty/childish things about people on his widely read blog, and it provokes people."

In two words: messy faggot

Azealia Banks may be a loudmouthed hoodrat, but she was right about Perez Hilton.

Posted by: Yasssssss! | Jan 6, 2013 1:05:26 PM

2. Long story short, i don't patronize artists who use that word. Bye girl bye.

Posted by: The Milkmanan | Jan 6, 2013 1:25:22 PM

3. For once I am ahead of the trend. I stopped reading Perezhilton's blog years ago. I thought he would have faded away by now. I've heard that his sister actually writes most of the posts.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 6, 2013 1:27:29 PM

4. i'm guessing some folks here didn't actually *read* her context - which reveals that she likes to spew the same nonsense as the misogynistic, self-loathing homosexual trolls who like to vomit all over internet message boards.

rock on, Jake Shears. atta boy

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 6, 2013 1:35:17 PM

5. I think it's much ado about nothing honestly. She's a member of the black LGBT community. Let's face it, they use this word as frequently as the black community uses the N-word. I posted this story in one of my black gay message boards and no one, I mean NO ONE was phased. In other words, her target market doesn't care, she will continue to sell records to those she intends to sell them to and nothing will change over her use of a word her target market uses freely.

Posted by: JP | Jan 6, 2013 1:48:24 PM

6. And let's not forget that Dan Savage called someone(can't remember name) a house faggot. We all seemed to get a good kiki out of that so I see no difference here.

Posted by: JP | Jan 6, 2013 1:52:45 PM

7. Points being missed:
    She used the word in a mean, derogatory way. That's not right for anyone to do, gay, bit, or straight

She (and most of us) may hate Perez, but there are so many other terms to use against him other than to bring his sexuality into it.

If you choose to use that f word in a derogatory way, it's up to you, but you're as self loathing as the bigots

I don't read his blog anymore, either, but he did stop being a bully a couple years (or more) ago, so what many of you are referring to as his harsh words are now irrelevant.

Posted by: Isaak | Jan 6, 2013 1:52:48 PM

8. again it's not the "word usage" that was offensive, but that her justification for it was wholly couched in both misogyny and, indeed, transphobia.

come ON, folks.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 6, 2013 1:58:38 PM

9. nuance: Dan Savage's use of "house-f@ggot" for the anti-gay gay men of GOProud is wholly apt. and if you can't understand that you're likely one of 'em.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 6, 2013 2:09:10 PM

10. LIttleKiwi, you're still being hypocritical. He used the word in a harsh and mean way and that's okay? But none when a bisexual woman uses it to a man that was in the midst of insulting her?

Posted by: JP | Jan 6, 2013 2:14:24 PM

11. Words only have the power we give them. If Jake and Perez were offended I think it would have been more effective to just ignore her rather than bringing more attention to the situation. The flip side of course is that people want her held accountable for her thoughtless actions and I understand that, so idk...it's difficult because the problem with policing words is who gets to set the rules? As these comments show, usage is subjective, whatever yiur opinion may be

Posted by: cdubois | Jan 6, 2013 2:21:59 PM

12. Dan Savage wasn't putting down gay men for being gay.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 6, 2013 2:23:30 PM

13. No, i'm pointing out a wholly different set of circumstances. GOProud are indeed "house-f@ggots" - insecure resentful homosexual cowards who throw "other gays" under the bus in order to win the favor of the bigots whose approval they pathetically seek.

nuance, sugarpie.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 6, 2013 2:23:57 PM

14. Or should I say, JP, Dan was putting down a gay man/gay men for being FEM. Which is what Azealia did. Her premise is that a f*ggot is a feminine gay man who acts out of line. That's pretty much what it is. The thing is why do we have a word that is designed to put down only one "type" of gay man and why is that word not accurate to use against others? Why is it a word that is OK for only those who have been certified for lack of a better way to put it and not OK for others?

Posted by: Francis | Jan 6, 2013 2:27:55 PM

15. Kiwi is right. People need to understand context here. Context is everything. No-one is saying "f*ggot can never be used". But if you're going to use it, use it correctly. Azealia, honestly, I wouldn't have cared one bit about her comment had she not added the extra BS about men acting like women, exposing her femphobia, transphobia and misogyny. That is the issue. This isn't an issue of homophobia in the strictest sense.

cdubois, you raise an interesting point. Usage is subjective and as we stand, everything is inconsistent. But there is one clear thing------the overwhelming majority of gay men DO NOT like or approve of people using the f-bomb in an offensive, aggressive, attacking manner, if you're not "approved" of using it. You're right that it's best not to get actively hurt by what someone says about you because that allows those words to mean something, but not taking active offense doesn't mean you OK the words. It's this "I'm kinda sorta offended, but not really offended" thing that is discrediting things like anti-bullying programs. And the stories we hear of gay men abused by homophobes in hate crimes or hate speech being spewed at us publicly. We don't like that yet then we want to say don't be offended by f*ggot. I'm guilty of it myself to a certain extent although I never use the f-word, I can't do it.

We need to either decide to be offended by the word or not offended by the word. This halfway offended deal is not helping us being taken seriously when we complain about legitimate homophobic incidents.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 6, 2013 2:37:31 PM

16. That men who act like women is what she uses to insult him is the only problem here. When you're in show business, a good rule of thumb is to keep the list of people who you don't like to yourself.

Posted by: Armando | Jan 6, 2013 2:51:01 PM

17. I have a word for her. Two actually.

Posted by: grego | Jan 6, 2013 2:55:55 PM

18. You all keep saying context, but do any of you know the context of the statement? I didn't either until one of my boys(a die hard fan of hers) explained that she was fighting with some artist I've never heard of and Perez injected himself into the fray. Not saying it's right, that was apparently the situation. Now as for Dan Savage, it's okay for him to use the F word against someone he doesn't like but not a bisexual woman? I'm not getting it. If we can excuse him for calling an uncle Tom a house F, why can't we excuse her for calling a messy gay a messy f?

Posted by: JP | Jan 6, 2013 2:56:04 PM

19. Azealia made her context known in future tweets, where she said a f*ggot is a man who acts like a woman. Then she revised it to basically saying it's a man who acts like a bitchy woman. Not many were upset with her using the f-word and more offended at her explaining it away as "a guy who acts like a girl" which was found to be, and is, homophobic, femphobic, transphobic and misogynistic.

So it's a majorly different case than Dan Savage using the word. Dan Savage did not use the word in a manner meant to slight people for their orientation and gender identity, and Azealia did.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 6, 2013 3:21:08 PM

20. She says she's bi. Has anyone actually seen any of her female lovers? Or is she just one of many who uses the title to titillate straight men?

Posted by: Wayne | Jan 6, 2013 3:23:50 PM

21. JP, it's been explained. If you don't understand it yet then you're simply not very bright.

I understand that Irony and Nuance are lost on many, but come on dude.

Savage's usage was blisteringly accurate in the face of the cowardice of GOProud and their fellow wimpy @ss-kissing Gay Republicans.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 6, 2013 3:31:52 PM

22. Francis, you got me there. I can see your point. Although she wouldn't have had to give such a crappy explanation if there wasn't such feigned outrage in the first place. But I do see your point. Wayne, I don't follow her like that, but the only song of hers I like is about her at the bar with her girlfriend and her boyfriend. It's not much, but it's more than I can recall otehr self proclaimed bisexual female artists do. And, as someone mentioned, one of her singles is a tribute to Paris Is Burning.

Posted by: JP | Jan 6, 2013 3:33:56 PM

23. LittleKiwi, you can explain away...I just don't agree with you. In any case, she will continue performing on the black gay pride circuit and this "event" will be forgotten about in a few days.

Posted by: JP | Jan 6, 2013 3:38:25 PM

24. i cannot believe people are defending Perez on this issue, the idiot has called people much worse, and they gay organisation are defending him? where were they when Perez was calling women men because of their manly features, and calling Will.I.Am the f-word????

Posted by: johnosahon | Jan 6, 2013 3:57:13 PM

25. Well, she's lost a lot of fans and she's apparently been dropped by her record label for other reasons. I doubt the Gaga collaboration in planning will occur. This is going to come back to hurt her, as it has pretty much everyone outside of Eminem and even he doesn't use the word in his music anymore. Azealia Banks ain't Eminem. Odd Future is a hip-hop band that could have been huge and have hurt their product due to their hate speech in lyrics. There is a reason why hip-hop artists, and musicians in general, more or less go out of their way to not be slapped with the homophobe label.

JP, I'm glad you can see my point. The reason there was outrage is pretty simple-----she used the f-bomb in an aggressive, negative way and for most gay men, that doesn't fly. Especially if you're not a gay man. Personally, I saw how she was saying it, but I also saw, as was obvious, she was using a gay man's sexuality to hurt him. So she cannot be excused for what she did and being bisexual doesn't give her a free pass.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 6, 2013 4:12:21 PM