Film | Film and TV | Jodie Foster | News

Jodie Foster Comes Out At Golden Globe Awards: VIDEO

Finally, after years of avoiding any official confirmation, Jodie Foster just came out at the Golden Globe Awards.

FosterReceiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award for the many, many great films she has made over the past four decades, an obviously nervous Foster first toyed with the audience a little, dancing around the issue before affirming that, yes, she is a lesbian. (She had previously thanked a female partner in a 2007 speech, but it was not an official, direct coming out.)

Well aware that people have been waiting for this moment for years, Foster explained that her delay wasn't based in shame, but in the fact that she came of age when there was a larger premium on privacy.

She was not of the era when gay or lesbian stars held press conferences to discuss their private lives, she said.

I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the stone age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her. To everyone she actually met. But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I'm not Honey Boo Boo child.

She went on, "If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else."

But, standing up on that stage, poised and proud, Foster finally did the deed - and, as always, she did it her way. And we couldn't be more happy for her!

Check out the video of Jodie's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP!

And, on a related topic, if you missed our 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012, check them out HERE.

With the intro:

Comments

1. No she did not come out. She said that her love life is basically the only thing she has left that isn't public, and that she would like to keep that private. Watch it again.

Posted by: OKCRefugee | Jan 13, 2013 10:45:38 PM

2. The co-parent of her children is female -- a waoman she dumped several years back when she ran off with Melanie Mayron's girlfriend. Apparently they're no longer a couple. But who knows what in hell Jodie was saying.

Disgraceful.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 13, 2013 10:46:29 PM

3. She's a disgrace. To come out she should actually "come out" and admit that's she's gay, not that she's "single." She's a real disgrace to our community. Will never watch another of her movies.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 13, 2013 10:49:41 PM

4. As a testament to the confusion layered into the speech, I'm getting the sense, by reading the comments above, that she was thanking a female co-parent!! I didn't see a woman on camera at her table during that part of the speech--only shots of her sons.

Posted by: Toto | Jan 13, 2013 10:51:27 PM

5. Ye, I'm searching for the bleeped bit too -

Posted by: Johnny Lawless | Jan 13, 2013 10:52:27 PM

6. David, Can't agree with you move. It felt like she was just standing up there making fun of anyone who was actually "out of the closet" and equating us with Honey Boo Boo. If she wants a private life, perhaps she shouldn't accept awards (undeserved) on national TV.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 13, 2013 10:55:08 PM

7. OMG she thanked Cyndey!

Posted by: topher | Jan 13, 2013 10:57:02 PM

8. I thought her speech was honest, and moving, and said what SHE - and not the bitter YOU - wanted her to say. She didn't and doesn't owe YOU a goddam thing.

Posted by: AZEXPAT | Jan 13, 2013 10:57:37 PM

9. You people are insane. It's her life, not yours. And it was clear enough to me, bleeps and all.

Posted by: melvin | Jan 13, 2013 10:58:27 PM

10. Agree that she doesn't owe us anything. However, she is receiving an award for her work in film and makes the entire premise of her speech about whether or not she will come out...and then doesn't, and belittles the coming out process. She should have just said "thank you" for the award. She came across as a crazy, drunk nutcase.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 13, 2013 11:04:43 PM

11. @Melvin: We freaking are. I was all excited about the story and the details of her private life until I read your post. Gosh. Back to reality, me...

Posted by: lucas23 | Jan 13, 2013 11:06:11 PM

12. Perhaps people are too young, or perhaps forgetful. Jodie Foster's highly-sensetive desire for utmost privacy has a simple two-word explanation: John Hinckley.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Jan 13, 2013 11:06:32 PM

13. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyYqFRz9rHE

Posted by: topher | Jan 13, 2013 11:08:43 PM

14. Oh please. How much more obvious do you need to get? Basically everybody already knew that she is gay. It wasn't a secret at all.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 13, 2013 11:10:25 PM

15. Thank you. I missed the show. I heard she had a "Clint" moment. If true, I'll check the news later to hear what she said.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Jan 13, 2013 11:13:54 PM

16. I'm with REMOTEPATROLLED and ISAIAH: she's angry. Very, and always. Personally I have tried and tried to like her, for decades - just can't. She's absolutely charmless, and painful to watch. Consider: apparently her dearest friend is the ugly-inside-and-out Mel Gibson, who BTW looked lobotomized on this broadcast.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Jan 13, 2013 11:16:03 PM

17. She didn't come out. She told the media and the idiots that think "you must come out publicly" they should mind their own business. Entertainment websites are masquerade as being enlightened but are the biggest homophobes. Shame shame shame.

Posted by: Karen | Jan 13, 2013 11:19:52 PM

18. Jeez, I as so amazed at her oral skills and at the structure of the speech. Completely flabbergasted, thinking this woman is just the most amazing speaker ever to exist (I know she's the most intelligent actress out there anyways), and feeling disappointed I would never get to fully understand such amazing mind, but then I realized she's reading the speech off a teleprompter. Man, that quickly calmed me down! A beautiful and intelligent and elegant speech - exactly like her.

Posted by: topher | Jan 13, 2013 11:20:12 PM

19. What a lot of bitter people in here. Her speech was honest. She did come out. Even me, a non-native English speaker, I understood what she meant to say. She even made a reference to her past-girlfriend. She was nervous, but what the hell! She is entitled to be!
    I don't appreciate a bunch of gay-men perspiring bitterness just because she did not speak like your fantasies would be.

Posted by: ElCid | Jan 13, 2013 11:20:23 PM

20. So she wants to berate everyone for invading her private life while picking the g-d-mned Golden Globe awards as her moment to make a weird self-pitying, oddly hostile spectacle of her coming out?

Yeah, nice try, Jodie, but you could have come out in a much classier way at any point in the last decade without doing it on a worldwide broadcast.

Wow, when Mel and her hang out it must seriously be like the densest Neutron star of crazy.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jan 13, 2013 11:21:33 PM

21. I give her credit for getting up there and giving it her best shot. Sometimes we expect actors to always be polished and when they wing it, sometimes it does not always work. I did get a sense of frustration on her part and felt like she was giving us a lecture for a few seconds. It reminded me of Meredith Baxter's coming out...a little on edge.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jan 13, 2013 11:23:58 PM

22. The award honors her work in the film industry. That is all. It is not an award for transforming society. It is not the Nobel Peace prize. Jesus H people, it is an industry honoring one of its own. As for Mel Gibson and all the rest of this nonsense, I have friends who do not quite see things the way I would like them to. Do you not? Because she has been on the screen, it is tempting to feel that we know her. We don't. We are not acquainted at all. There are real things to worry about. Jodie Foster's failure to say precisely what you would have scripted for her is not one of them.

Posted by: melvin | Jan 13, 2013 11:28:45 PM

23. Melvin: YOU SAID IT!

Posted by: ElCid | Jan 13, 2013 11:30:39 PM

24. I watched her the first time and thought she was flippant, but I rewound and watched it again and it was extraordinarily touching. She's welcome to the tribe and well done her.

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Jan 13, 2013 11:30:47 PM

25. Won't ever understand the hatred of these people who so harshly criticize this woman. She's harmless, and she's polite. Why the hate?

Posted by: topher | Jan 13, 2013 11:31:12 PM