Film | Film and TV | Jodie Foster | News

Jodie Foster Comes Out At Golden Globe Awards: VIDEO

Finally, after years of avoiding any official confirmation, Jodie Foster just came out at the Golden Globe Awards.

FosterReceiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award for the many, many great films she has made over the past four decades, an obviously nervous Foster first toyed with the audience a little, dancing around the issue before affirming that, yes, she is a lesbian. (She had previously thanked a female partner in a 2007 speech, but it was not an official, direct coming out.)

Well aware that people have been waiting for this moment for years, Foster explained that her delay wasn't based in shame, but in the fact that she came of age when there was a larger premium on privacy.

She was not of the era when gay or lesbian stars held press conferences to discuss their private lives, she said.

I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the stone age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her. To everyone she actually met. But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I'm not Honey Boo Boo child.

She went on, "If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else."

But, standing up on that stage, poised and proud, Foster finally did the deed - and, as always, she did it her way. And we couldn't be more happy for her!

Check out the video of Jodie's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP!

And, on a related topic, if you missed our 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012, check them out HERE.

With the intro:

Comments

1. Melvin: you are right . the award was about her work in the film industry, which is why she should not have made it a lame attempt to "come out."

Posted by: bill | Jan 13, 2013 11:36:36 PM

2. Melvin,

I have friends who don't always see things the way I see them. But I don't have any friends who have frequently been caught making incredibly racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Semitic comments over and over and over again. Or who have pretty damning evidence that they've engaged in domestic abuse. I guess that's where me and Jodie Foster are a wee bit different.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jan 13, 2013 11:40:37 PM

3. I think it was a well crafted speach given in her own unique and forceful way. It did sound angry and hostile. Unsure if it's because she didn't want to give it or is this simply the role she plays as a card carrying lesbian. Many are hostile by nature so I'm going with that.

Posted by: marc | Jan 13, 2013 11:44:09 PM

4. Oh yes. Because we are the one to judge whose attempt to come out is lame and whose isn't. Absolutely nonsense.

People should accept that everyone is different and in the same way we ask to value difference we must value it in return. She did it the way she knew. I thank her for being brave and do it (maybe not like rock star, like apparently most people here think they are), but like a human being.

Posted by: ElCid | Jan 13, 2013 11:44:15 PM

5. There are some real bitter nellies on here who's own standard of coming out is for people to stand up and say "I'm ____ and I'm gay", like they are at some 12 step program. Any other way is not good enough for them. They demand it be done THEIR way, not the way the person who is coming out wants it. It's their way or the highway. For example, Anderson Cooper. People here hounded him to come out, when he did it STILL wasn't good enough for them (he didn't do it soon enough, what has he really done for gay people?, blah blah). Get over yourselves.

Posted by: LIZA | Jan 13, 2013 11:57:39 PM

6. She came out on her terms. It's HER coming out, not any of yours.

Posted by: dattexas | Jan 13, 2013 11:58:49 PM

7. If she couldn't come out as proud, why the need to ever bring up her sexual orientation in the first place? Just say "thanks for the honor" and move on. She brought on the criticism by equating coming out with a Honey Boo Boo reality show . No need to show embarrassment over her orientation. Her speech was nonsense .

Posted by: bill | Jan 13, 2013 11:59:12 PM

8. *whose

Posted by: LIZA | Jan 13, 2013 11:59:23 PM

9. I'm getting a kick out of those calling her bitter and angry. One only has to read through some of these comments, which stand as examples of what she's had thrown in her face for years, to see why.
    For anyone who actually paid attention to what she was presenting, both verbally and non-verbally, it was very moving (as evidenced by the reactions of many in the audience.)

Posted by: DG | Jan 14, 2013 12:02:23 AM

10. I'm really confused and disappointed by some of the comments on this thread. Congratulations on living up to the bitchy queens stereotype.

She has spent her entire life entertaining us and owes none of us any explanation for how she's lived her personal life. Her speech wasn't polished and choreographed enough for you? oo Bad!!

As she said in her speech, she's been out to the people who were close to her, those who were actually a part of her life, but now she realizes that she's required to share the intimate details of her private life with a press conference, a fragrance, and a reality show.

I'm embarrassed for those of you who feel the need to critique her so harshly for what must have been a pretty difficult and very public coming out. And I feel sorry for you. May you get exactly what you give.

So y'all be sure to post the links to the YouTube videos you've posted of your own coming out speeches at the Golden Globe Awards so we can rip you to shreds right back....

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jan 14, 2013 12:02:30 AM

11. We were watching the Golden Globes live when I saw this on Towleroad snd told my partner: " Wait! Rewind the PVR! How did I miss what Towleroad says that Jodie just said?!"
    Well, a few seconds was either bleeped out or had bad audio, and unless she came out as gay there, she certainly didn't say so in the speech that is posted here.
    She prepared everyone for "a confession," and the confession is..... "I'm single."

No one could know for sure from this speech alone whether Jodie is gay, straight or bisexual, because she did NOT identify her orientation. On the contrary, one could come away from this speech with the impression that being single is her big secret that she's had trouble admitting in an industry that loves gossipping about everyone's personal details.

In 2007, she mentioned Sydney, but it wasn't clear to the viewer whether she'd enjoyed Sydney, Australia, or Sydney who was some person or another who'd helped her along. This time, the term "soul sister" is the only hint that suggests (to only the most attentive viewer who might notice that one gender-specific word in the whole speech) that Sydney is a female.
    I can imagine the grandmothers living in Peoria saying, "Oh, how nice that her loving sister helped her raise her kids when she couldn't ever find a husband!"

This is not a criticism of Jodie Foster but of the misleading description of what she supposedly said.
    I can fully understand why she wants some of the privacy that most of us take for granted.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 14, 2013 12:05:12 AM

12. Whatever happens now, my initial impression of her--forged some 35 years ago--still stands: this is one talented, tough, smart, and cool chick.

She has had an extraordinary life, and has gone through fires (Hinckley, being raised by a single parent, being in a glass closet for 2 decades) many of us can't begin to fathom. Her speech may have read as "snarky" only because a lot of us can't begin to keep up with the leaps of her Yale-educated mind. (Did I mention that she dubs her own movies into French, as she's fluent?)

I raise my glass to you, ma'am--no matter what anyone says, I'll always regard you as the Last Great Dame out there. (Though I'm feeling pretty bullish about Jennifer Lawrence.)

Posted by: Dback | Jan 14, 2013 12:07:39 AM

13. She doesn't owe US anything. But maybe she could think beyond HERSELF and actually, really come out and stand up for the kids out there who are still confused and scared and in need of a helping hand. Her speech was appalling. I've lost all respect for her. To broach the subject and then not even follow through? She's a disturbed woman.

Posted by: mikey67 | Jan 14, 2013 12:14:53 AM

14. Seriously, I have to agree that a lot of posters in here are RIDICULOUS.....Privacy is a gift that people don't want to give anyone anymore...It is Pathetic that she is being judged by some "queens"...that she seemed Bitter and Angry.... she was nervous and kinda scared because she had to make a speech and she has lived a Successful Private life ~~~only disappointing thing is her loyalty to asad Bigot like Mel Gibson, but its her business,,, Love ya, Jodie.... Please dont ccompletely QUIT acting... you aqre one o the Greatest !!!!

Posted by: Martin | Jan 14, 2013 12:15:00 AM

15. Go Jodie. You became a star before stars came out. Yes, your speech became a little bitter in the middle, but you brought it back and acknowledged your life partner who helped raise your kids, even though the two of you are no longer together.

The real bitter ones are the ones who expect you to act in a way that's not true to yourself. Screw them.

Posted by: Vince Smetana | Jan 14, 2013 12:18:23 AM

16. @ Bill:
    "If she couldn't come out as proud, why the need to ever bring up her sexual orientation in the first place?". She didn't do this to give you a sense of pride Bill.

She did it for herself and her family. Her kids seemed happy and proud of their mom. She looked very proud to me if you ask me.

We have to accept and tolerate. She did it well.

Posted by: ElCid | Jan 14, 2013 12:19:37 AM

17. The only reason I knew what she was talking about was because I (we gay folks) already knew she was gay. I was watching this with my elderly parents and had to explain to them what happened. Regardless of "how" she did it, she DID it and on NATIONAL TV LIVE! Good for her! Now she can truly be herself and get rid of all the speculation.

I wish her a happy and fulfilled life (more so than she already has)!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jan 14, 2013 12:24:04 AM

18. She mocked those who actually came out before her, and put their careers on the line, making it as though they shouldn't have had to. Jodie, go away, and shack up with your real partner, Mel Gibson.

Posted by: Al | Jan 14, 2013 12:24:45 AM

19. I find it ironic that those of you watching the Golden Globes to see actors and directors win awards for their performances and couldn't understand a highbrow coming out speech? Yeah okay.

Posted by: Jake | Jan 14, 2013 12:25:53 AM

20. Good for her. She did a great job handling that. Obviously very nervous, as I'm sure it pissed a lot of people off. Esp. the still closeted celebrities.

But, wtf is up with the audio dropouts???

Posted by: Tom221 | Jan 14, 2013 12:32:07 AM

21. I am so over famous celebrities complaining about their lack of privacy. You'll notice that it got a big round of applause from the audience, many of whom are famous actors.

Look -- if you want to be a big movie star, a lack of privacy is part of the job. It's one of the reasons you earn millions of dollars for a movie role.

There are thousands of actors working and toiling that few people know exist, and they have privacy. But then, they aren't earning millions of dollars working the community theater circuits.

If privacy is so important to you, Jodie, here is what you do. You quit Hollywood and move to another part of the country. It's actually quite easy to do -- many other actors have made the choice. But you can't have your cake and eat it too -- you want all the trappings of a major movie career, but you don't want all the hassle. Imagine a garbage collector saying he wants to collect garbage but shouldn't have to deal with all the smells. You don't like, then change it!

You always have a choice, Jodi -- go quietly in to the night, or be a big hollywood muckymuck If you want the million dollar roles, then you have to feed the public.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 14, 2013 12:33:32 AM

22. She came out in her own way to the Globes crowd and she is entitled to do that - I heard a fierce need for privacy up front before acknowledging the loves in her life - I applaud her honesty and gutsiness. After all the expectation buzz has died down and people listen to what she really said, I think more people will support her. She was stunning!!

Posted by: David | Jan 14, 2013 12:35:07 AM

23. What I heard from Jodie Foster was "I've been deeply closeted to the public all my life and for some reason I feel the need to come out now, albeit in a coy and semi-resentful fashion. Oh and I've already been out since I was very young but not to the public where it could have helped thousands of struggling LGBT kids. But yes I'm loud and proud and oh yeah what about PRIVACY?" Privacy is one thing, but actively hiding is another matter altogether. Let's not try to pass one off as the other, it's just insulting.

Posted by: Lawrence | Jan 14, 2013 12:39:26 AM

24. All I will say on this is she is from a different generation. Actors/Actress under 35 are living by a different set of rules and know that if you want to be popular and sell tickets for movies/music people have to want to follow and buy into your mystic. No one goes to watch movies like Twilight because they think it is a good story; they go for the actors/actresses in it. These days there is no such thing as privacy because of social media and everyone having a camera on their phones. Before social media the only way to really come out was through print media. Now we have the web and social media and younger generations use it get their message across. Actors starting out who are really private and do not use social media or carry favor with gossip blogs/magazines will not be cast as a lead gay or straight for a project because it is feared no one would show up or watch.

Posted by: Lane | Jan 14, 2013 12:40:19 AM

25. Looking at the rude comments on this board shows something REALLY shameful: living up to the basest bitchy stereotypes. Shameful, and embarrassing to me as a gay man to even be associated with such garbage.

Posted by: Joey Y | Jan 14, 2013 12:43:52 AM