Film | Film and TV | Jodie Foster | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jodie Foster Comes Out At Golden Globe Awards: VIDEO

Finally, after years of avoiding any official confirmation, Jodie Foster just came out at the Golden Globe Awards.

FosterReceiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award for the many, many great films she has made over the past four decades, an obviously nervous Foster first toyed with the audience a little, dancing around the issue before affirming that, yes, she is a lesbian. (She had previously thanked a female partner in a 2007 speech, but it was not an official, direct coming out.)

Well aware that people have been waiting for this moment for years, Foster explained that her delay wasn't based in shame, but in the fact that she came of age when there was a larger premium on privacy.

She was not of the era when gay or lesbian stars held press conferences to discuss their private lives, she said.

I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the stone age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her. To everyone she actually met. But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I'm not Honey Boo Boo child.

She went on, "If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else."

But, standing up on that stage, poised and proud, Foster finally did the deed - and, as always, she did it her way. And we couldn't be more happy for her!

Check out the video of Jodie's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP!

And, on a related topic, if you missed our 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012, check them out HERE.

With the intro:

Comments

1. I don't understand Jodie. They love her here in Hollywood. She has great respect as an actress and more. WHY in 2012 is she still SCARED? Yeah she sort of came out, but really, she just showed her fear and NON bravery. I understand those just starting their acting careers, but Jodie has been around for a long time in the acting profession with great success stories. Why would she care about coming out as a lesbian?

It's great she's sorta coming out ... but seriously. At 50 years and with so many years in the acting profession, and still she's scared.

Sad.

Hope one day she will finally be true to herself and be free to just be herself.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 14, 2013 12:50:32 AM

2. I have to re-post this comment from Brian in Valdosta on JoeMyGod, who perfectly articulated how I feel about this event:

"I hope that each person leaving a comment here tonight (and afterwards) doesn't forget that everyone has his/her own personality, and Jody's is obviously a very private one. She was thrust into a very public life at a very young age and made her way the best she could.

I thought that the speech was lovely and heartfelt and poignant and as publicly personal as she could manage, and I am thankful for it. It was obviously not easy for her. Let's cut her some slack.

Yes, I want to commend the courage of people like Ellen DeGeneres and Neil Patrick Harris, and Rosie O'Donnell and Ricky Martin and Rupert Everett, ... and Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly who were really out in front. All those people - and so many more - helped pave the road on which Jodie was standing today. But here is Jodie Foster at age 50 today in 2013 making a very public declaration, and I salute her."

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jan 14, 2013 12:50:57 AM

3. The claims by some here of her being angry are just, well, misogynistic to me. Her speech is many things: angry isn't one of them. I've watched it a few times now and each time it is more moving. After reading a fairly complete transcript of the speech, there's no doubt she came out--directly and unambiguously. See for yourself, over here:

Posted by: Toto | Jan 14, 2013 1:18:24 AM

4. Unfortunately looks like Jodie just made herself a relic of a bygone era in which stars are overly limited by cultural homophobia.

She could have used the moment to take the focus off herself and celebrate how different things will be for the up and coming generation.

That would have allowed the audience to celebrate her status as a pioneer.

They seemed poised to do that...even waiting and disappointed to have missed the chance.

So she missed the moment....this opens the door for younger women like her who are out to move onto the scene.

In her favor....there is always tomorrow...and not every performance has to be award winning.

Posted by: mark | Jan 14, 2013 1:18:59 AM

5. I like Foster. I love her as an actor.

This speech was a rambling mess. The people here claiming it was "complex" are delusional.

The main problem with the speech is not that she came out. I am glad she did that. Its not even that she asks for privacy. That's also fine.

The main problem with the speech is that she attacked the coming out process as somehow bad.

That there is something wrong with it. By extension that we should hide it. We forget. But half this country still doesn't like gay people. In fact, in most countries in the world, the majority doesn't like us.

The problem with the speech is context. She seemed unaware of it outside of her own bubble. I don't see why she needed to come out in such a manner.

I assumed she was smarter than what I just saw. I will still watch her movies, because she's talented.

But she really did make coming out seem like a bad thing. That "privacy" here still means gay. I doubt any straight person thinks of their orientation as private. What's private is who she's dating. Not the gender of who she's dating.

The whole script: coming out equals invasion of privacy. Its foul. Its wrong. Because it suggests there is something wrong with being gay. I will take it was just messy, hopefully, because she really hadn't thought through what she wanted to say even if it was written down. Because she didn't understand what it means to some kid out there who is watching her on tv come out in such a messy way.

Glad she came out. could have been done much better.

You can all go back to pretending there wasn't a problem with speech amongst those of you (some of whom read like publicists by the way) making such claims.

Posted by: nonapologies | Jan 14, 2013 1:24:37 AM

6. I really don't give a hoot about Hollywood's cult of personality. But I'm not a "bitchy queen" to point her whole speech has an undercurrent of pain and anger, and to inject a sort-of coming out into it didn't help matters. She thinks she's making fun of society but she's really making fun of herself. Her awkward hamminess made it seem like an SNL skit from the late 1990s or something.

I think it's all about the follow up, now. She could make this whole thing seem less ridiculous now - and I'm not sure she has any interest in doing so - by appearing on Ellen, perhaps, with a follow up interview.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 14, 2013 1:46:40 AM

7. Nonapologies I hadn't read your comment when I posted from page 1 but reading it now, it seems to dovetail with what I said. She thought she could somehow deconstruct the whole notion of coming out, but it backfired. Either say "I'm lesbian and because of my desire for privacy, I haven't been able to say that until now" or don't even go there.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 14, 2013 1:52:50 AM

8. @nonapologies: I didn't see it as her attacking "coming out." She said that she came out years ago, to the people she knew. She didn't feel that she needed to share this with the people she didn't know. And the thing is, if she *were* straight, we wouldn't care as much who she was in a relationship with, and it wouldn't be a big deal that she wanted to keep her relationships private.

Not that I don't understand the importance of being a public figure and being out - I absolutely do and am generally of the opinion that visibility is important, etc - but we should give her the same respect of privacy we give boring heterosexual actors, as she has never wanted to be an activist or spokesperson, and not every gay person is that/wants that.

Posted by: toomanybooks | Jan 14, 2013 1:58:53 AM

9. @ Randy,
    The best comment so far!
    Why are you gheys so besotted/enarmored w/ Hollywood like this?
    It's not a redundant question.
    As we speak, so many homeless gay youth who got kicked out of their home for being who they are, are selling their asses for a few bucks just to survive, and these people are getting millions of dollars for what? :
    "The Brave One": Guns are the answers. Revenge, getting even with more violence.
    "The Silence of Lamb": Trannies are evil.
    "Sommersby": Totally pointless, unnecessary remake of the perfectly fine The Return of Martin Guerre.

For a good part, her speech is mixed with so much of the sense of entitlement, and resentful. It kinda overshadows the later personal thanks AND the drive-by coming out part.

@nonapologies,
    Just equally impressive! I totally concur!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jan 14, 2013 2:00:20 AM

10. Sorry, Toto: Foster introduced her *female* co-parent, who happens to have a male-sounding moniker: Cydney Bernard.

I'm also with Remote Patrolled, it's disheartening that she seems to find the act of coming out publicly so distasteful. It felt to me that she was filtering this "announcement" (or whatever she meant it to be) through a lens of 50 years of internalized homophobia. It didn't help that her bosom buddy, Holocaust-denier anti-Semite Mel Gibson, sat there gazing up at her like an infatuated drunk. He looked absolutely terrible.

After watching the speech through 3 times, I'm torn between admiring her for being such a human mess of contradictions and wanting to say "if your privacy is so important to you, shut up and sit down and stop courting attention." It sure reads like a moment with which Foster felt true ambivalence; I'd love her to be a rainbow-flag waving gay champion--and fully understand that was never her job to be that for me or anyone else.

Fascinating television, but nowhere near a revelation any of us should be crowing about.

Posted by: JDF | Jan 14, 2013 2:06:09 AM

11. You b*tches make me want to go back to eating p*ssy.

Posted by: AZEXPAT | Jan 14, 2013 2:11:29 AM

12. 2 great posts:

- Randy | Jan 14, 2013 12:33:32 AM
    - NONAPOLOGIES | JAN 14, 2013 1:24:37 AM

Jodie did herself an disservice by criticizing others who came out and doing a half "coming out".

She got an an award. She should have simply said "thank you for honoring my work". Instead, she went deeper in the closet with her half coming out and criticizing other who have been BRAVE to be themselves.

Jodie is a disgrace. Yeah, she doesn't owe me anything, and I and others do not owe her anything either as we will NOT watch her movies she stars or directs. She wants to be private? Chose another profession. Gosh, she is a disgrace!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 14, 2013 2:13:31 AM

13. All you haters need to STAND BACK, Jodie has finally come out, which is what you all wanted, and the first thing you do is criticize instead of congratulate. Which person (whether celebrity or the average Joe) has ever come out in the "perfect" way? From Ricky to Patrick all were rumored and never came out until they were comfortable (heck all pretended to be straight, they had fake girlfriends, even your heroes Ellen and Rosie covered by talking about how they wanted to sleep with Tom Cruise), leave the woman alone, CONGRATS to you Jodie for coming out on your own terms

Posted by: johnosahon | Jan 14, 2013 2:13:57 AM

14. @ AZEXPAT

Go ahead and have a ball! LOL

Too bad if some ppl are NOT so blinded by all the glitters of the Tinseltown !

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jan 14, 2013 2:24:17 AM

15. It's completely beyond me how anyone finds this speech angry and argue that she didn't come out. How do you take issue with the line, "I don't want to give a big coming out speech"? Would a straight actor say that? It means, I'm gay and I don't want to talk about it all the time. How many straight women thank their female partner of 20 years?

Some of you need to work on issues of your own.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 14, 2013 2:29:57 AM

16. I agree with @nonapologies. I was in the next room when I heard her on TV and my reaction was, what's Jodie Foster so angry about and how much was she drinking anyways?

I'm glad that Towleroad could figure out from that rambling mess of a speech that she came out because I also thought that she was just attacking the coming out process.

I thought her speech was incomprehensible and inarticulate. Instead she could have done as Michael Musto suggests: "All I can say is I love Jodie's work and understand the pressures she's been through since child stardom. Also, I'm glad she never faked an opposite-sex partner or tried to convince the public she was straight.

But instead of this cockamamie speech, she could have just said "Yep, I'm gay." Twenty years ago."

Posted by: sara | Jan 14, 2013 2:36:43 AM

17. I'm not understanding how she is scared, or being held back?

Does her family not know? Does her freinds not know? Does her co-workers not know? Is she pretending to date men?

Everyone in her life who matters to HER, knows. She has a family, she had a female partner..her saying "I'm Gay" doesn't strengthen that, nor does her not saying "I'm gay" belittle that. The same people that are being callously bitter about her speech are the same ones who complain about the "I'm Gay" covers on People Magazine, or Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka being so open about their relationship.

There was NOTHING in that speech that lead me to think she was anything other than gay.

Posted by: Devonasa | Jan 14, 2013 2:39:08 AM

18. If your viewing and listening audience cannot determine what you're trying to say, then you've done a poor job. This does not mean that anyone is attacking poor put upon Jodie Foster. But if that was her coming out, then she did a piss poor job of articulating it.

You have news outlets like the LA Times writing: "One of the most stunning moments came courtesy Jodie Foster, who took to the stage to give a ... retirement speech? A coming-out speech? It was hard to tell... Even backstage, talking face-to-face with the media, she was cryptic about what, exactly, she was trying to say with her speech. (Memo to Foster: Nothing will destroy an attempt at privacy like telling the world you want to keep your life private.)"

Posted by: sara | Jan 14, 2013 2:46:21 AM

19. Here's a better video link from NBC:

Posted by: notice | Jan 14, 2013 2:46:52 AM

20. I think that anyone who hears that speech and thinks it sounds angry is nuts.

This is a lovely heartfelt speech.

Do you think her "anger" moved people to tears?

Duh get a grip.

Posted by: notice | Jan 14, 2013 2:52:53 AM

21. I think she's upset about being forced out of the closet. So what forced her out now?

Posted by: anon | Jan 14, 2013 2:57:10 AM

22. After reading more posts is seems clear people posting mostly just have a comprehension problem.

Jodi was first explaining the context of what it is to be in show business your entire life. Being in the public eye from the time you are 3 makes it a little hard to determine when to come out. Growing up in the 1970's also made it hard to come out if your were a public figure. Being a public figure made her value privacy even more. For whatever reason she felt the need to explain and justify herself to all the angry gay people who have always wanted her to come out. But even that wasn't enough for the haters. I personally thought it was a lovely insight into her reasoning for keeping her sex life private for the first half of her career. Clearly she now feels there is enough public benefit to justify coming out and sacrificing more of her privacy. She wants her sons to be proud of her and know that she isn't ashamed to be a lesbian. Sorry for all the slow people who can't understand humor and obvious words like her referring to herself as having "come out to her family and friends a million years ago..."

What are you a bunch of ignorant 3 year olds?

Posted by: notice | Jan 14, 2013 3:05:58 AM

23. I'm having a hard time understanding how people missed the coming out part. She said, "I hope that you're not disappointed that there won't be a big 'coming out' speech tonight because I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago..." Then later, she said, "I am so proud of our modern family" when talking about her two sons and Cydney. Are people really so thick that you have to spell it all out for it to have happened? I guess if you don't have a "Hey everybody! I'm gay!" moment, some people won't be satisfied. Hell, even if she had said that, you'd have people here complaining that she waited too long, "we already knew *yawn*," etc. etc.

I didn't think she sounded bitter or angry, just nervous.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 14, 2013 3:14:56 AM

24. One more time, you don't want to come out. DO NOT! But don't go around criticizing others who have come out and are SO HAPPY to be themselves and go back to the business of JUST BEING.

Jodie palls around with homophobes like Mel Gibson. That speaks volumes on whom she wants to be associated with.

Look, she's 50. OK, so that means when she was born in 1963 and she was 21 in 1984. Now that was a time when for gay MALES it was hard because of AIDS. But for female lesbians, what problem were they having? Come on Jodie! You could have simply thank the Golden Globes for your award and say you were very happy for everyone in the "industry" accepting you for who you were. Case Closed.

But nooooooooooooo! She had to go around criticizing BRAVE GLBTs who came out before her. She really is a disgrace. She could have been someone who said she is glad or who she is but as an "entitled" Hollywood gal, she thinks she is better than everyone else. I am SO over her. Again, she doesn't owe me anything, and no one owes her anything ... i.e., NO ONE should go to her next movie anyomore.

Geez! This was her time to shine and she messed it up!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 14, 2013 3:21:09 AM

25. @ topher

No,she's NOT harmless or polite, when dissing (very) public coming outs as fame-mongering!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jan 14, 2013 3:32:06 AM