Film | Film and TV | Jodie Foster | News

Jodie Foster Comes Out At Golden Globe Awards: VIDEO

Finally, after years of avoiding any official confirmation, Jodie Foster just came out at the Golden Globe Awards.

FosterReceiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award for the many, many great films she has made over the past four decades, an obviously nervous Foster first toyed with the audience a little, dancing around the issue before affirming that, yes, she is a lesbian. (She had previously thanked a female partner in a 2007 speech, but it was not an official, direct coming out.)

Well aware that people have been waiting for this moment for years, Foster explained that her delay wasn't based in shame, but in the fact that she came of age when there was a larger premium on privacy.

She was not of the era when gay or lesbian stars held press conferences to discuss their private lives, she said.

I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the stone age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her. To everyone she actually met. But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I'm not Honey Boo Boo child.

She went on, "If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else."

But, standing up on that stage, poised and proud, Foster finally did the deed - and, as always, she did it her way. And we couldn't be more happy for her!

Check out the video of Jodie's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP!

And, on a related topic, if you missed our 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012, check them out HERE.

With the intro:

Comments

1. Oh she's wearing it...god bless her.....so what.........? she's amazing....What A Creature...Oh Jodie....I could turn you back.....hahahahahha....love steve.....

Posted by: Steve Bloom | Jan 14, 2013 3:43:11 AM

2. What nonsense you people write!

Jodie Foster owes you NOTHING! Like every other person in the world she has the right to come out loudly, privately, ambiguously or not at all, regardless of what benefit her being "out" might offer to others.

Between the emotional abuse of childhood fame and the nightmare of having her college years twisted by a man who shot the President to try to get her notice, by the age of 20 she suffered an extraordinary degree of public "fame" based entirely upon the actions of other people. It is idiotic to to suggest that as an adult she might have reasonably chosen to make MORE of her life public.

And until YOU start winning some major televised awards, frankly I have no interest in your opinion about what an "appropriate" acceptance speech should be.

Sure - I found her speech to be odd, nervous and seemingly poorly-crafted and poorly performed. (Frankly, I'm not sure that she was speaking to the viewing pubic - it may have been a speech that was directed more to her friends, colleagues and family.) But I generally like Ms. Foster and hope that she went home happy and satisfied with what she said. If you don't like her, you can hope the opposite. Other than that, it really doesn't matter what we think.

Posted by: Buster | Jan 14, 2013 3:53:25 AM

3. She isn't dissing anyone who publicly came out specifically. She is alluding what "celebrity" now means in general. She hinted at reality shows (hence the Honey Boo Boo reference), releasing a fragrance, etc. She's going after people like Kim Kardashian who take their 15 minutes of fame and run with it, oversharing every miniscule detail about their personal lives on TV and in 140 characters on Twitter.

Based on this reaction, it's amazing to me that anyone would want to come out. You'd think the LGBT community would embrace her for doing so in her own way, in her own time, when she was ready. Instead she's being attacked and called names because people here aren't satisfied with her wording, or her timing, or what she may or may not have implied about other LGBT celebrities.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 14, 2013 3:54:10 AM

4. RY RYAN ... oh SHUT UP with your stupid "she doesn't owe you anything". Yeah, and we don't owe Jodie anything, meaning we will NEVER watch any of her stupid movie anymore!

Jodie had a chance to shine, but once again, as an ENTITLED Hollywood "queen", she decides she is better than anyone. "F!" her ... she can go on and be friend with the HOMOPHOBE Mel Gibson ... WE. DON'T.CARE!

Let her "pall around with Hollywood homophobes" ... she doesn't owe us anything. AND we don't owe her anything either. I.E. we will NOT go to her movies anymore!!!!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 14, 2013 4:09:18 AM

5. @RYAN: You captured exactly what she was talking about in regards to what we view as a celebrity and what it means to be "famous". The Honey Boo Boo's and Kardashian family have really added nothing to our world. Why are they famous?

Most of you forget her history. When a nutjob tries to kill a prez (and injures many in the process) just to get your attention, you tend to be little reluctant to be in the spotlight all the time, especially when it comes to your family and your personal life. Get a grip guys. People come out in their own way, not your way!

Posted by: LIZA | Jan 14, 2013 4:14:45 AM

6. FUNME: why don't YOU shut up and get over your bitterness. Who made you judge and jury? You are so angry over nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's an awards show speech! She kind of proves her point about celebrity...you are so mad at her because she is famous and doesn't live up to your standard. Get over it. Plus, who cares what a b*tchy, angry little queen like you thinks? Boo hoo, you won't watch any more of her movies, I'm sure she doesn't give a flying fig about that. Nor do we.

Posted by: LIZA | Jan 14, 2013 4:26:07 AM

7. FUNME, I very sorry that Ms. Foster disappointed you tonight. I'm quite certain that your sense of how she should run her life is something she thinks about often. Perhaps, with a little luck she will eventually learn how to "shine" for you. If she gets good at that, she may even start to win some awards!

As for her friendship with Mel Gibson ... well, from the press reports he sounds like a unhappy, dull-witted bigot. (I deliberately avoid his films.) But few of us are completely evil or completely good, and it's nice to know we live in a world where even silly bitter dull-wits have people who care about them. I mean, I bet YOU have friends, right?

PS - In your earlier post you referenced the role of "female lesbians" in Ms. Foster's generation. You may also want to consider the effect of the fact that Ms. Foster is both a "white Caucasian" and a "middle-aged 50 year old."

Posted by: Buster | Jan 14, 2013 5:41:21 AM

8. just like with Anderson Cooper, damned if u do it, damned if u don't...

no matter what she did, this thread would have as many negative comments, because some people cannot just be happy, for others or themselves...

with people like u, I'd wait to come out too...

I think she did a great job, and wonder if she cursed during the bleeped section, like they bleeped Ben Affleck....

Jodie, I love u.... I still remember a spring day in NYC, Chelsea to be exact, u were walking ur dog and I literally ran into u as I chatted with a friend... I apologized and u touched my arm lightly and smile and said no problem, and I thought "what a lovely woman".... and then my friend was like "OMG, that was Jodie Foster" (and if that was u, which I am 99% sure it was, u were walking with a woman friend)...

that is how I see u, as beautiful and kind and light....

if anyone has ever given a speech in front of a large crowd of ur peers (as I have), no matter how many times u have done it, how prepared u r, it is a nerve-wrecking experience... may u be as successful one day to experience what she experienced...

well done, Jodie, thank u and congrats!

Posted by: V-8 | Jan 14, 2013 6:40:06 AM

9. I thought Jodie came out about 3 or 4 years ago. In any case, she did it after she made most of her money. So convenient....

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 14, 2013 6:48:42 AM

10. What she said about her mother and her family was very moving and real A few queens on this site should take note of that rather than their disappointment in how she expressed her sexuality.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 14, 2013 7:13:51 AM

11. Jodie Foster is a tremendously talented actress who I revere and respect, and even more so enjoy as an entertainer and actor. I was baffled by her rambling and almost incoherent speech, but I am certainly not anyone to judge.

She looks amazing, and I very much hope to see her in new movies in the future. I really do not care if she is a lesbian, as I will never sleep with her. If she wishes to be a definitive part of the gay community, she need do no more in my eyes, but it would be nice if an actress of her stature would have the ability to politely and succinctly articulate herself and be more clear if she is telling us she is gay.

Posted by: John | Jan 14, 2013 7:14:57 AM

12. Jodie has always been about Jodie. I don't necessarily think she has to be an ambassador for the cause but others have been less selfish than her. If Jodie were to retire and never be seen again, I wouldn't miss her.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 14, 2013 7:21:25 AM

13. Damn that girl is BORING!

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 14, 2013 7:53:30 AM

14. @Topher,

Why the hate? Because they're angry, nasty, smug [censored B-word]. The biggest issue I dealt with as a young gay man [teenager] was trying to deal with and get along with the large number of gay men [see above description] who are so prominent in the gay 'community'. They're literally like a clique of nasty teenage girls in a suburban high school. I've never had a personal problem with being gay, but I've always and still do have big problems with the large number of [censored B-word] in the so-called gay 'community', and among many of the gay men trotted out before the general public as representative of gay men. For the longest time when I was a kid I though I was the only gay guy who wasn't fem, campy, [censored B-word], into sh*tty tween 'music', obsessed with gossip about female celebrities, a fashionista, ... I was a regular guy who was gay. There are few if any human beings more capable of nastiness than a certain type of gay male [censored B-word]. If you're that type, a big F.U. from me. Funny thing is when I was a rough and pretty young twink [and still do today to an extent but phuk I'm in my mid 30s now, ancient by gay standards] I had to beat these mother effers off with a 2x4 ... most may hate 'str8 acting' guys, but they sure are obsessed with festishizing them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 14, 2013 8:17:46 AM

15. GO AWAY JODIE!

She didn't come out, she rambled on about nonsense

Posted by: Marky | Jan 14, 2013 8:52:07 AM

16. It would have mattered more years ago, but better late than never. Jump on the bandwagon, Jodie.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 14, 2013 8:54:41 AM

17. If you value your privacy, don't pursue a job that brings all that annoying fame and money.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 14, 2013 8:58:00 AM

18. She has come out before and now again and what away to come out! Wonderful.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 14, 2013 9:24:57 AM

19. Hell, I figured out she was gay when I saw her on "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" in 1969. What's the big deal?

Posted by: Don | Jan 14, 2013 9:30:52 AM

20. maybe my dog heard it but i missed a lot in this speech? let me begin by saying i have adored this woman for years and have often been in awe of her profound acting ability, however, in the wake of a painfully awkward speech at the Golden Globes, i have to ask, "where's the uber confident Jodie Foster of years past"? was all that bravada simply an act? was her public persona a mere pantomime of an accomplished professional with unwavering self confidence? more importantly, what has become of her lifelong commitment to her "privacy"?

i suppose one could spin her past behavior as a matter of personal "privacy", but if so, what has changed? why come "OUT" now? why not continue to keep her 'dirty' little secret ~ for indeed, she seems to have believed there was something unsavory, or unmentionable about the woman who she had shared her life, and with whom she has borne and raised children? where's the mention in her glib, self conscious speech of the larger picture of persistent prejudice, abuse, and injustice that people less socio-economically elite than she suffer ever day, in every corner of this country?

we get it Jodie, you like you! you really really like YOU!

as for me, you can keep your damn dirty secret if it's been so important for you to hide your true identity, camouflaged as it has been, in a calculated public web spun of tacit lies and subterfuge all these years. did the partner she professedly loved, her "soul mate" - deserve to be treated like a dirty secret? in contrast to her, and other LGBT artists in her 'industry', no one has ever accused carny royalty cohorts Benifer or BradJolina of "rubbing their sexuality in our faces". by contrast, their most important personal relationships are celebrated, or more appropriately, simply taken for granted. THAT is the difference. THAT is the problem. THAT is the essence of our collective struggle for LGBT civil rights and basic human dignity. in what is widely speculated as both a coming out AND retirement announcement, Ms. Foster is risking precious little in her rambling and cryptic stage soliloquy.

gone is the inimitable steely resolve and gracious composure that once unsuccessfully masked a not so subtle superiority and arrogance for her peers. in it's place, we see a chicly coiffed, sartorially splendid but nervous, uncertain, stumbling, and vaguely neurotic woman who inexplicably takes pot shots at the courageous men and women of principle that came OUT before her ~ brave men and women, who in so doing, risked their careers, and courted the most vehement public backlash!

the ever gracious, generous, self effacing, yet endearingly courageous Ellen 'Degenerate' made herself the target of ridicule, attacks, and salacious slander for the entire Conservative Christian hegemony. in coming out, she also never took a pot shots at other people! does Ellen have a fragrance? does Neil Patrick harris have a reality show? is Wanda Sykes personal life and family a joke? while the extraordinarily talented Foster was feathering her own very 'private' lavender nest, others were doing the heavy lifting in the fight for her and her lovers rights, and civil liberties.

maybe Jodie Foster should have rehearsed this speech in front of someone slightly more coherent, less phobic, more emotionally stable, more self aware, sober, and lucid than Mel Gibson?

epic fail. stunning disappointment.

Posted by: paul morgan | Jan 14, 2013 9:44:27 AM

21. from the NYTimes:

In one of the evening’s few moments of free fall, Jodie Foster, receiving the Cecil B. DeMille award, sparkled, rambled and lost sound briefly, perhaps blipped out, just as she was making a remark about her private life. “I am, ah, single,” Ms. Foster said after a buildup promising a big revelation. She turned it all into a plea for privacy, and a promise to continue making her mark. “Jodie Foster was here, I still am,” she said. “Here’s to the next 50 years.”

Posted by: Oliver | Jan 14, 2013 9:56:10 AM

22. It was a bit rambling and messy. You could tell she was nervous. I still found her words extremely heartfelt and the award was well-deserved. I did not find it bitter at all. She has never NOT been famous. I can't imagine that. And for the most part she has handled it with more grace and dignity than any other celebrity alive. Kudos to her. And the haters can bite me.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 14, 2013 10:06:28 AM

23. Jodie has always talked about her children. She's always talked about her mom. I remember seeing pictures of her with the children on a beach in Hawaii while she was with Cydney--who was conveniently left out of the photos. If privacy was truly what she wanted she wouldn't have talked about her kids and mom, or allowed the kids to be photographed. While I'm happy she came out, I'm really tired of closeted celebrities who scream "privacy" when it comes to their sexuality, but then talk about everything else.

Posted by: Rae | Jan 14, 2013 10:21:25 AM

24. That was an awesome speech, actually. Far better than the usual awards-show laundry list of thank-yous. And far more creative and impactful than the now-rote proclamation of "I'm gay" on a magazine cover.

Congrats to Jodie, for doing things HER way. I gotta respect people who take a principled stand, and decline to align themselves with someone else's program. Shows a true artistic impulse, in my opinion.

And no, she wasn't disparaging gay people who choose to follow the more ordinary formula for coming out. If anything she was mocking people who sell out their private selves on reality television.

Posted by: Lars | Jan 14, 2013 10:33:08 AM

25. What is the MATTER with your memories?? She already came out SIX YEARS AGO when she and her now ex were still together!

Posted by: Scott Amundsen | Jan 14, 2013 10:35:18 AM