Film | Film and TV | Jodie Foster | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jodie Foster Comes Out At Golden Globe Awards: VIDEO

Finally, after years of avoiding any official confirmation, Jodie Foster just came out at the Golden Globe Awards.

FosterReceiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award for the many, many great films she has made over the past four decades, an obviously nervous Foster first toyed with the audience a little, dancing around the issue before affirming that, yes, she is a lesbian. (She had previously thanked a female partner in a 2007 speech, but it was not an official, direct coming out.)

Well aware that people have been waiting for this moment for years, Foster explained that her delay wasn't based in shame, but in the fact that she came of age when there was a larger premium on privacy.

She was not of the era when gay or lesbian stars held press conferences to discuss their private lives, she said.

I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the stone age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her. To everyone she actually met. But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I'm not Honey Boo Boo child.

She went on, "If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else."

But, standing up on that stage, poised and proud, Foster finally did the deed - and, as always, she did it her way. And we couldn't be more happy for her!

Check out the video of Jodie's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP!

And, on a related topic, if you missed our 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012, check them out HERE.

With the intro:

Comments

1. she introduced her female-co-parent, not her male co-parent. She never had a male co-parent, just a sperm donor who has to be male. Please type properly.

Posted by: Kate | Jan 14, 2013 4:55:05 PM

2. i guess you guy wont be happy till she's writing IM LESBIAN with her own blood on a wall

Posted by: Astro | Jan 14, 2013 5:00:22 PM

3. I'm in the group of people who didn't agree with her speech. It is not about me judging her manner of coming out. I am not saying she should come out ala Lance Bass or via any reality program. She was the one who started pointing finger. She was the one who mentioned Honey Boo Boo and reality show. She was the one who didn't want to conform to public expectation on how to come out and she bloody blamed it on the rest of us. It's fine if she wanted to stay true to her privacy and shut up about her sexuality. People wouldn't have "attacked" her if she didn't mock others' coming out at the first place.

I'd like to also point out that it's a room full of class-A actors and actresses - therefore squeezing out tears and being emotional aren't exclusively being touched but just auditions. And if you've missed it, there were people who were dumbfounded too.

Also, actors aren't paid millions for their acting skills. Just look at how the world's best actress, Meryl Streep, is paid compared to Julia Roberts or Jennifer Aniston.

The biggest incoherence of Jodie's speech was how she wanted to be seen and understood deeply (her words exactly). Unless she's gonna pull a Kris Jenner by timing the publishing of her tell-all autobiography, defending privacy is the furthest thing away from being seen and understood deeply. You're an actor - we won't be able to understand you coz all you do is play characters but yourself. It is through gossip magazines that we know you in private!

Posted by: Alfred | Jan 14, 2013 5:01:11 PM

4. To the Christoper's and Paul Morgans of this board:

"Foster explained that her delay wasn't based in shame, but in the fact that she came of age when there was a larger premium on privacy."

In other words, as opposed to today where the Honey Boo Boo's, Kardashians, Lohan's, Spears', Jersey Shore, Kate and her brood of 8 and the rest are exposong everything in the name of fame. That was her point.

She's gay. We've known for a long time she is gay. Now it is "official". Get over it.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 14, 2013 5:09:40 PM

5. I think some girls on here are just upset that she "dissed" their beloved Honey Boo Boo.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 14, 2013 5:15:16 PM

6. Why don't all you "proud" COME OUT FREAKS -- GO BACK IN. My sexuality wants no association with any of you.

Posted by: Gary | Jan 14, 2013 5:17:44 PM

7. Some of you guys here are like that one distant friend who, when you finally tell her/him you are gay, they make it all about them. "I always knew you were gay but I'm pissed you didn't tell me sooner!!!!" Well guess what? I told you when I WANTED TO TELL YOU. It's not up to you to make that decision.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 14, 2013 5:43:58 PM

8. Wow she made me cry. Jodie is a class act.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 14, 2013 5:54:50 PM

9. She is 50 and fabulous!

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 14, 2013 5:58:35 PM

10. I don't disagree with a lot of what she said. I think a more nuanced and discerning discussion of sociological specifics; of privilege, of safety, and of "social class" are very much needed in this discussion about Coming Out.

one need not have a press-conference to be openly gay.

just like when some guys say things along the lines of, uh, "Why do say i need to tattoo rainbows on my face and scream I"M GAY from the rooftops!"

nobody is saying you have to do any of that. i'm as gay as the day is long, and i've never tattooed anything on my face nor screamed 'Im GAY" from any rooftops.

what I am is Out, and from the place of privilege I was lucky enough to be born into i've made a very conscious choice to not let any opportunities pass by when I can put a Face to What Gay Is.

not everyone will choose to do this. some will live with varying "levels" of Outness. some people consider themselves Out because the people they know in their immediate day-to-day life know. some people consider themselves Out because they're Out to the guys they secretly have sex with in part of their double-life.

Foster acknowledged this years ago, publicly. sure, she didnt' say "i'm a lesbian" - and her not doing so raises many valid questions, for both sides of each argument.

what we don't say is as telling as what we do say. our inactions oft speak as loudly as our actions.

i remember years and years ago, after I'd Come Out, suddenly being aware of not wanting a certain group of people to "know" - mainly because they'd hounded me with anti-gay slurs as a child.
    why? i was still caring far too deeply about their perceptions, and the fury of "them being right" about something that had upset me for so long. not wanting to "lose" a battle I could never win in the first place; the irony being that being proud of being openly gay i was in fact winning. but try telling that to me at 21.

Foster is a brilliant intellectual. Her mother, it sounds like, is in the final chapters of perhaps senile dementia. foster's brother released a grubby tell-all years ago, Outing foster as lesbian or possible bisexual. i can understand her need to control aspects of her public perception. i may not agree with them, but i can understand them.

we all carry with us the baggage of our own experiences, and if nothing else i hope this speech of hers opens a great dialogue for ALL of us.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 14, 2013 6:00:32 PM

11. Welcome Jodie, and congratulations.

But maybe hire a speechwriter, because that was not a good speech.

Posted by: MaryM | Jan 14, 2013 6:05:31 PM

12. Welcome? She was gay before her speech and gay after. Nothing changed.

Posted by: DIVA | Jan 14, 2013 6:13:17 PM

13. That was coming out? Did I miss something? I just thought it was a frickin' weird wandering mess of a speech by any standard.

I love Jody, but that speech was terrible and it certainly was NOT a coming out.

Posted by: RobF | Jan 14, 2013 6:15:55 PM

14. According to your standard ROBF.

Posted by: DIVA | Jan 14, 2013 6:28:28 PM

15. For those who say she was already out and "everyone knew she was gay"--why did she come out last night then? Clearly she didn't think she was out already...to the public.
    What is so very uncool is to make fun of others who have come out before. She basically equated coming out publically with being Honey Boo Boo. According to her it means having a reality TV show and a fragrance. NONE of the previous brave celebs who have come out have done any of those things. What they did do was come out (with varying degrees of dignity) by being unafraid of saying the words "I'm gay" and giving young struggling LGBT kids another reason not to kill themselves.
    She thinks the only options are be closeted or be Honey Boo Boo? There are several other options in between. She seemed bitter and hostile to those who have made it possible for her to come out now.
    And to equate acknowledging your orientation with a loss of privacy smacks of shame and embarrassment. How many straight people do you know who refuse to say they are straight for fear of giving up too much privacy? Who deliberately refuse to thank their partner (until fairly recently) when they get an award because it lets the world in on too much of their secret life?
    She doesn't have to come out according to my wishes. But she deserves criticism for mocking others who were a lot braver than she.
    And don't assume that the folks on here are asking her to do anything that they haven't already done. I came out in 1978. It wasn't that hard and I never regretted it for one second. She has had at least 20 years of a much better atmosphere.
    And last thing: don't bring anti-semitic, homophobic, assh*le Mel Gibson as your date if you have any respect for yourself or others.

Posted by: StillMarriedinCA | Jan 14, 2013 6:38:48 PM

16. STILLAMERICA:

"For those who say she was already out and "everyone knew she was gay"--why did she come out last night then?"

Actually, according to some on here she didn't truly come out yet. It's not enough for them. They don't think she has really come out until she says "I'm gay". Others, like me, thinks she just confirmed what we all knew and what she has already adressed, yes, she is gay. As she said: "I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the stone age."

It's something we already knew since she made no secret about living with a woman for 20 years. Didn't hide it from friends and co-workers. She also confirmed it when she made that awards show speech acknowledging her lover 6 years ago.

It is some on this board who expect her to do some dramatic coming out experience culminating in the words "I'm gay" at a national press conference. Her point with her comments that you object to about the way others have come out is that she doesn't have to, or need to do a public coming out just so you guys can be happy. She has lived her life as a lesbian, has already let us now that (again, 6 years ago), YOU are the one that wants more. She wasn't criticizing people who have come out before her, she said celebrities don't have to make every detail of their life a spectacle like the reality shows she cited. Not just coming out, but their personal lives in general. Did you not understand the quote?

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 14, 2013 7:01:10 PM

17. Love Jodie's Speech, Cydney Bernard's bio and pics are here http://showbizdaily.net/celebrity-bio/cydney-bernard-is-jodie-fosters-ex-girlfriend-photos/ in case you are interested

Posted by: Victoria | Jan 14, 2013 7:06:30 PM

18. Damn it, Kiwi, that last post was beautiful. I don't care if you aren't going to respond to me or if you think I'm a bore - I'm still saying it! When you ease up on the anger and venom-spitting, your posts are one of the main pleasures of visiting Towleroad.

Jodie probably made the right decision in not being so openly gay during most of her career. Has anyone here commented yet that once an actress passes 35 she has limited options to choose from in the roles she's offered? Also, Jodie always played the tomboy, then the cynical fast-lane woman. Being seen as "a gay actress" (rather than an actress who happens to be gay) would have limited her even more.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 14, 2013 7:08:43 PM

19. As for Jodie supposedly making fun of other gay people's coming out stories being super-vocal - it may be rude or snarky, but she's always had a streak of this in her, even as a teen and young woman. As a young teen she said that Shirley Temple "made me barf." When Hinkley mentioned her in relation to his attempt to assasinate Reagan, she said "Why me? Why not Brooke Sheilds?" Tact was never her forte. I don't think she's nearly as much of a rebel as she imagines herself to be, but my point is that she's famous for these off-the-cuff remarks that are a bit mean..

Posted by: Mary | Jan 14, 2013 7:19:17 PM

20. And there you have it. The people who have no problem with Jodie's speech are in agreement with Mary, Ratbastard, and some of the other regulars on here who are always on the wrong side of every issue. The people who, if we took their advice, would set gay rights back decades and would banish anybody who doesn't conform to their ideal of "straight acting" from the city streets. The folks who always stand on the side of, and make excuses for, those who are in the closet. I rest my case.

Posted by: JUSTaThought | Jan 14, 2013 7:31:09 PM

21. Wow Betty, that's just great. Maybe she'll see your insane defense of that rambling mess of a speech and let you hit it now.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jan 14, 2013 7:45:41 PM

22. Amen to the "privacy" shout-out, Jody. In this YouTube, cellphone-cam, TMZ-stick-your-nose-in-everybodys-business age where privacy is an old-fashioned, even quaint, commodity, I am glad that you decided to confront with grace and eloquence all the Michael Signorile wicked witch busybodies of the world and give them a rhetorical slap across their bitchy little faces.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 14, 2013 7:47:44 PM

23. Or perhaps, "Justathought", people are allowing room for nuance.

at the end of the day, this is what i'm dealing with most when i think about Foster's speech: the privacy she values is a luxury not all LGBT people are so lucky to be afforded.

the lesbian in uganda. the effeminate gay boy in small town america.

through the privilege of Privacy and the Ability to "Pass" the anti-gay targets are placed squarely between the shoulders of those who cannot, or will not, "blend in".

i've been reading a lot of different varying opinions on Foster's speech today.

I also read a piece about Growing Up Gay in Iran (everyone - do yourselves a favour and read it)

some people will continue to greatly value their own privacy, whatever that may mean to them.

others will think about how much they could help other people by no longer thinking about keeping their orientation a "private thing"

rather than spend any more time thinking about whether or not Jodie Foster is right or wrong, or why, I'm simply going to be very thankful today for Harvey Fierstein, Quentin Crisp, Audre Lorde, Rick Mercer, Ellen DeGeneres and others who were there to inspire and empower me when I needed it most.

There's a world of "Closeted" people whose disguises consist of outright anti-gay prejudice; throwing us all into lakes of fire so that nobody will notice their dirty-little-secrets.

so while i may feel that Foster is from a place of privilege, where a simple "Yep, I'm Gay" could have empowered many in our communities, I'm also aware that in the grand scheme of things it's not like we're talking about Roy Cohn.

and again, anyone who feels she did it wrong is more than free to make their own youtube video and put a face to what you feel should have been said.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 14, 2013 7:58:16 PM

24. If "privacy" means you don't thank your partner at an awards ceremony while every straight actor does then I think it is just a cover for being afraid, ashamed, self loathing, or all of the above.
    Plenty of actors have "privacy" yet we know their sexual orientation.
    DeNiro, Streep, Hoffman, and countless others don't give away an awful lot about their home life. But we do know their sexual orientation. That is something that one does not need to keep "private" unless one thinks it is somehow bad.
    Zachary Quinto is out, makes an occasional statement in support of gay rights, yet I know nothing of his personal life. It can be done with dignity and grace without sacrificing your truly private life. Jodie still doesn't get it.

Posted by: JUSTaThought | Jan 14, 2013 8:04:30 PM

25. Who says I "want to hit it"? Thanks Christopher, being called insane by someone who is clearly an expert is flattering. You say you work with LGBT teens? For their sake I hope you cut your judgemental holier than though attitudewhen dealing with them!

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 14, 2013 8:08:08 PM