Barbra Streisand | Crime | Louisiana | News

Louisiana Gay Men's Trip To Streisand Flick Ends In Assault

JamisonPolice in Lafayette, LA, arrested 37-year old Joseph Menard Jr. after he allegedly assaulted four gay men at a recent showing of the Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogan flick Guilt Trip.

Walt Jamison says he and his boyfriend and two other gay men were settling into the showing when Menard, sitting behind them with his children, began spewing anti-gay invectives and then, when asked to be quiet by them and another patron, attacked them.

The Advertiser has more:

The men took their seats dur­ing the previews, Jamison said, and almost immediately a man in the row behind them said, "Oh great," and called them a derogatory name aimed at their sex­ual preference.

When one of the four said, "Ex­cuse me?" Men­ard "stood up and leaned over us and started scream­ing hate slurs pep­pered with profanities," in front of his own child and wife, Jamison said.

A woman about three rows in front stood and asked Menard to stop because she had chil­dren with her, but, according to Jamison, Menard insulted her and told her to sit down.

Menard "sat down and stood back up and popped my partner in the back of the head," said Jamison, adding that he was also struck by Menard.

Before the police arrived, Menard and his family left The Grand in their SUV. Police [pursued] them and arrested Menard on the simple battery charges.

Menard has been charged with simple assault, while his wife was also charged with resisting arrest.

Two very different family outings ruined by the same thing: ignorance and hate.

Comments

1. And Yupp, if you don't want to dialogue with Kiwi, then ask Rick. Rick will verify that I have indeed agreed with some of his points (although not all of his points) on those occasions when Kiwi and Rick have debated. Yes, I am a different poster than any of the other posters. Get a clue, Yupp.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jan 17, 2013 11:34:39 AM

2. Once again, gay men are shown to be fearful, weak cowards. This time, the gays outnumbered their attacker by 4-1. The lone attacker accurately determined that these pathetic clowns would take their lumps passively.

The guy hits one of them in the back of the head and abuses them verbally with anti-gay taunts. And what do they do? Did they beat the crap out of the attacker? Did they work together to restrain the guy? Did they act collectively to toss this guy onto the street? Nope. They slunk off to find someone from "management." Translation: They were all cowards and went to look for a real man who could tackle the bully.

Even worse, the guy who was punched was the partner of another of the guys in the group. But even seeing his own partner attacked wasn't enough to get this person to act.

This incident reminds me of another one covered on Towleroad a few years ago, in which gay guys were attacked right in the middle of Chelsea. Of course, none of these pansies did anything until a straight bus driver stopped his bus and got out and chased off the bashers.

This is what happens when you have a gay culture that celebrates effeminacy and equates being gay with transvestitism and transsexualism. After a while, gays internalize this and start to act like little girls.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 17, 2013 11:49:40 AM

3. @ Yupp,

Did I imply that your parents hate you in previous comments by way of adding some humor? My apologies for my "inappropriate" humor. For all I know, your parents don't hate you at all, and you make stupid comments on this board because your nurse dropped you on your head when you were an infant. I don't know what the source of your mental dysfunction is, but the bloggers at Towleroad are doing just fine, and I'm sure they're not shaking in their boots just because you can't think.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jan 17, 2013 12:03:37 PM

4. Being from a small city 50 miles west of Lafayette, LA, I can say with certainty that it is harder and you must be more careful in the middle south than most other places. Here people are proud of their ignorance, and it is a shame, but sometimes you must hide to live to fight another day. I understand what my brethren in Lafayette went through, and I personally feel, that they should have fought back. However, they chose the safe road and just contacted the proper authorities. It turned out well, and they did not cause the matter to escalate and become deadly, which we all know could have happened. Ignorance and hate are dangerous things.

Posted by: Joey | Jan 17, 2013 12:07:41 PM

5. I wouldn't blame them if they HAD attacked this guy, but the likely result is that ALL of them would have been arrested. Given that the local police are stonewalling charging this as a hate crime when it clearly was one, expecting that once everything was explained the gay men wouldn't also have been charged is... optimistic.

This way the man and his wife were both arrested and will be charged with a crime, IMO the best case scenario.

I'm all for gays standing for themselves but how you react to a verbal or physical assault is necessarily different in a crowded movie theater or restaurant than if it's on the street.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 17, 2013 12:07:51 PM

6. @Scott, I've lived in the South all my life, mostly in Mississippi but also in Florida. If you want to make the point that the South doesn't get enough credit for its good and wonderful things I'll be right there with you. But if you want to claim that we don't deserve the grief we get for our current and historical ignorance, racism, homophobia, general bigotry, xenophobia and fundamentalist Christianity insanity then I could disagree with you more. We probably don't get as much grief as we deserve. I used to be defensive about this too until I faced reality. Again though, I do take offense that too many of the WONDERFULLY FABULOUS things about the South and our people, are overlooked, avoided or ignored.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 17, 2013 12:18:05 PM

7. "...COULDN'T disagree with you more..."

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 17, 2013 12:18:49 PM

8. Mike suggested that these guys are just cowards for not beating the attacker in a crowded theater. Maybe that's true if this happened on the street, but I'll have to agree with Caliban about the outcome at the local police station. If they had fought back in a crowded theater, they would all wind up at the police station. Would the police take their side when they found out that the gay guys were attacked first? It depends on the region of the country. In the Northeast, the police would probably say the gay guys acted in self-defense. In Lafayette, Louisiana? I don't think so. The South has a ways to go before the police and the general population react fairly in situations like these. That is just a fact of life in a region dominated by Bible-believing Christians.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jan 17, 2013 12:19:19 PM

9. @ Yupp,

And you're the Pope.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jan 17, 2013 12:21:09 PM

10. Real men throw punches, but women and cowards don't? What is this, the 50s?

Thanks for clearing up your warped ideas about masculinity and responding to hostility, guys. And keep throwing those punches, so you can be taken off the street just like the bigot in this story!

Posted by: Mousie | Jan 17, 2013 12:24:52 PM

11. @Mike: Get off your high horse.

Maybe you should realize that in cases of self defense it's very hard to prove who escalated an incident. If you used more force than your aggressor, then it's no longer self defense and it can become the victim suddenly getting counter-sued for battery. I'm not sure I'd trust a jury of my "peers" to take the word of me and my gay friends against that of a straight man and his family.

Also, people carry guns and knives and other weapons, and escalating a fight might not be a great idea if you're interested in avoiding a serious injury. So, in that sense, these actions might be understood as just being smart, rather than cowardly. Would I have wanted to punch the guy? Yeah, obviously. But if I had other options that were safer I'd take those. And that's whether I'm straight or gay.

Posted by: Stefan | Jan 17, 2013 12:26:28 PM

12. Looks like this isn't Joseph E Menard's first run in with the law. He's a registered sex offender, arrested for molesting a child. http://www.bustedoffenders.com/louisiana/lafayette/sex-offenders/joseph-emery-menard/1720320 .

Posted by: AJ | Jan 17, 2013 12:27:16 PM

13. AJ that is clearly not the same person, there's a mugshot on The Advertiser and they look nothing alike. Get your facts straight before you throw something like that around

Posted by: Sammy | Jan 17, 2013 12:54:39 PM

14. what a sad and insecure man.

ten bucks says he beats his wife, too.

as for the men: good. don't throw punches in a theatre. the bigot will be arrested, and hopefully the man's kids will learn the lesson that their sad-@ss mother didn't learn: don't marry a violent, hateful, ignorant, abusive neanderthal.

we're better than that. this was not a street fight. this was a cinema, where a violent idiot's violent idiocy can be used against him.

fists are what you use when you don't have brains at your disposal.

and folks - ignore the trolls. i'm guilty of having fed 'em for too long. "mike"/yupp/etc are the same bloody idiot. don't feed. they'll die off.

you really need to question the mental stability of a grown-man who can't even be in the same presence as gay men without freaking the f**k out. that's beyond mentally unhinged.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 17, 2013 1:06:49 PM

15. @MAWM: He was probably pissed off that his wife and kids didn't want to be dragged by him to see a Streisand flick.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 17, 2013 1:10:46 PM

16. The perpetrator's kids should be removed from him by the state's child services agency because being raised by that troglodyte is tantamount to child abuse.

Posted by: Inis | Jan 17, 2013 1:14:23 PM

17. @Mike

Thank you, my brother. I was going to say exactly what you said, but your own comment said it all for me.

Physical cowardice is an integral component of the culture of effeminacy and until that entire culture and the behaviors associated with it are eradicated, gay men will not be truly respected by other men and by people in general.....and they will not deserve to be respected.

As for the cops in this case being "biased", first of all there were witnesses (as the story indicated) who could have corroborated the fact that the man who attacked the four was indeed the instigator....and secondly, as a matter of culture, they would have had far more respect for these guys if they had fought back, even if they were gay, than they do having observed their predictable cowardice. Anyone who thinks otherwise really does not understand Southern culture or American male culture, generally.

Nothing will get you disrespected faster as a man, anywhere in the world, than being a coward and a pu$$y, gay or not.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 17, 2013 1:15:02 PM

18. "We're not violent people, by and large. Homophobes know that. What's important is to carry mace, a stun gun, brass knuckles, something where if your put in a physical situation, you can defend yourself without getting into a scrap"

In other words, think of yourself as a woman and behave like a woman, rather than having enough self-respect to defend yourself the way any other self-respecting man would, despite the fact that you are perfectly physically capable of defending yourself (in a way that a woman is not), especially when you are part of a group that outnumbers the attacker 4-to-1..

Yes, this is the mindset that the culture of effeminacy results in.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 17, 2013 1:21:10 PM

19. fun fact - can the "non-coward", "non-pu**y" gay men who complain about "effeminacy" be Real Brave Men and put a face to their comments?

No. Because they're the actual cowards. So wimpy, they can't even speak their minds from a visible place on the internet, let alone the real world.

So, ignore the trolls. Complaining about other gays, and women, anonymously online is the one thing distracting them from the shameful cowardly existence that constitutes their own lives.

So don't feed - you show me a "femme hating" gay man and I'll show you a coward who never grew the pair needed to stand up to be counted as a gay man.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 17, 2013 1:22:32 PM

20. @ Rick,

I don't claim to know what the current situation in the South is, since Fort Lauderdale has an entirely Yankee population, with a little Hispanic mixed in. Change MAY have already occurred fast enough in the South for the police, and the witnesses in a crowded theater, to agree that the gay guys acted in self-defense if they fought back. If this is the case, I'm glad for it. I would be happy to say that you're right about the South because it would mean that the world has changed for the better.

By the way, since I'm basically agreeing with you on the issue of fighting back, don't assume that the majority of Fort Lauderdale's population is Jewish (not that there's anything wrong with that). The city to our north that you're thinking of is Boca Raton.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jan 17, 2013 1:37:20 PM

21. Out Gays rule closet cases and homophobes drool. Es muy simple'^_^

Posted by: alexander | Jan 17, 2013 2:13:20 PM

22. @ Rick:

I totally would have punched this guy in front of his kids and other witnesses. Is it because I'm a manly man? No, I'm a woman.
    Is it because I'm a manly woman then? No, I'm not a manly woman.
    Then what could it possibly be?!?

Because I have a short fuse, and I lose my ability to think rationally when I'm angry.

I consider it a flaw. You consider it a strength.

Posted by: Tanoka | Jan 17, 2013 2:34:49 PM

23. Tanoka - Rick/Mike/Same Troll is just doing the same thing: anonymously, as a closeted adult, boasting of his own masculinity while denigrating others....and yeah...all from an untraceable faceless position.

because that's the mark of toughness and strength and courage.

let's not feed 'em. logic and reason won't work on the people whose lives exist only by ignoring both.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 17, 2013 3:53:57 PM

24. Four gay men attacked by one bigot and a c*nt? Um, no. If this had been me and four of my friends, there would be only one outcome: four gay men getting arrested and one bigot and one c*nt going to the hospital. Save your preaching about fighting back. F*ck that. I'm fighting back.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jan 17, 2013 4:18:50 PM

25. @TANOKA You know perfectly well that you can hit a man and not get any retaliation from him because the code of chivalry that most men live by prohibits them from hitting a "lady." So THAT would be the base of your "courage", because you know that you would be no physical match for a man any more than any woman is going to be. And you also know that not only would the man most likely not hit you back, but that if he did, another man or men would come to your defense.

That code of chivalry does not apply in the case of men, including gay men, so their behavior in this instance cannot possibly be regarded as anything other than abject cowardice.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 17, 2013 4:25:15 PM